U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM

8,816 posts, read 10,725,934 times

Advertisements

We were by there a few days ago. In addition to the newer developments already there, there is quite a good bit under construction -Halstead which is joing the other developments right near the metro, and the big Mosaic district project (still seperated from the metro by rte 29 and a block long "sidewalk free" stretch).

IIUC a reconstruction of the 29/Gallows intersection is about to happen, and that will include the completion of the sidewalks north of 29. I assume once its done the NW corner of Gallows and 29 becomes ripe for development. I am also under the impression there is at least one more project planned for the metro parking lots.

Sounds like this place should be jumping within 3 or 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM

8,569 posts, read 12,688,681 times
I have high hopes for this area. I think property values will only climb as more people want to move there. It is relatively close in. It has the Metro right there. It will have Target and other shopping and other entertainment. I hope they make it walkable across Route 29 and across Gallows road with crosswalks or a footbridge. It has decent enough school districts, I think. JEB77 always knows which neighborhoods feed into which school districts. I know the far end of Dunn Loring Woods is close to the Metro and I believe it is Stenwood/Kilmer/Marshall which is a decent pyramid.

On the other hand, there is a gigantic thrift store that is always crowded and definitely attracts a lower-income recent immigrant population. I shop there on a weekly basis looking for eBay buys or cheap stuff for my kids. I'd guess the clientele is 80% Hispanic (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd guess they are lower-income than some surrounding areas). There is often a police officer standing guard inside or by the door. There is also a large Chinese supermarket which also attracts many recent immigrants. I have never felt unsafe there, though. Although I once did see a homeless person sitting in the corner of the shopping center. But I wouldn't call it an upper middle-class area like other Northern Virginia towns. Jackson Middle School is right next to the shopping center. In the past it had a bad reputation but now with the AAP there and more "rich Vienna kids" going, their reputation will probably improve.

It might take some time, but I am hopefully that this leads to another walkable, Metro-accessible area.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM

171 posts, read 267,224 times
I drive in this area quite often when going to HMart so I have been noticing some progress in Mosaic district, too. I heard that there will be new Harris Teeter there! Yes! My family likes HT stores and their sales, we usually go either to Tysons or Fairfax/Rt.50 locations, so this new one will be much closer to us (I hated when HT in Fairfax/ Main Str was closed and Walgreens came there!). I am also wondering if a new theater, instead the old one, will be re-build in Mosaic area?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 AM

5,073 posts, read 8,648,214 times
The "Mosaic District" area where much of the new construction is slated to occur (southwest of Lee Highway/Gallows Road) is zoned for Fairhill ES/Jackson MS/Falls Church HS. The sections of Dunn Loring zoned for Shrevewood and Stenwood ES/Kilmer MS/Marshall HS are north of Lee Highway.

It seems like it has real potential - supposedly there's going to be an Angelika Film Center in Mosaic development in late 2012 or early 2013, which would be neat and maybe give Dunn Loring a bit of a Shirlington vibe.

Last edited by JD984; 07-18-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 PM

301 posts, read 588,744 times
I too have high hopes for the area. I've lived in the Merrifield area for 7 years now and am really looking forward to the Halstead Square, Mosaic District, and MetroWest projects. I believe the Harris Teeter is going to be at Halstead Square next Dunn Loring metro (along with other retail). They're also supposed to add more parking spots by building a parking garage at Dunn Loring metro. Part of the deal of the Mosaic District is to make significant improvements to the athletic fields of Jackson Middle School as well.

I didn't have any kids when I moved here back in the day, but now that I do have a child I'm definitely more concerned about the quality of the schools. JEB77 is correct re: Fairhill, Jackson, and Falls Church. I'm hoping that with all the newer development in the area, along with the impending arrival of Northrup Grumman at Fairview Park, that improvements will be made to the schools (at least Jackson and Falls Church).

Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,593,871 times
No worries you people who wish to move here in Merrifield! Do not be alarmed over the current population of poor, non-native english speakers! I have been here 4 years and my family will surely be priced out in a couple of years to make room for more single white middle class adults such as yourselves who drive eco-cars and shop at Harris Teeter.

Hoping we undesirables can land in as affordable clean rental in Annandale thats a short, late running bus ride to a Metro Stop

My painfully Liberal Bo-In-Law lectured us on using the one Civic we own and that my DH uses Metro round trip for work, as he climbed in his 4 door BMW he bought and drove in Italy, and now drives everywhere in VA. He also couldn't understand that we can't afford to live in an "Urban Env't" like Clarendon that close to Public Transportation.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,398,471 times
Right, there are several projects going on at the same time. The Mosaic District is the southwest corner of Lee Highway and Gallows only, but it will result in new streets at least that go all the way down to Route 50. The Halstead project is on the southside of Prosperity as it winds past the current Metro parking lot and the northern ends of Merrilee Drive and Dorr Avenue. Three 11-story mixed-use buildings are in the works for Dorr Avenue, while a large "community purpose" building will face Prosperity itself. If I understand it correctly, the new Harris Teeter will end up on the ground floor of a new mixed-use building that will be where the front part of the Metro parking lot is now. That's separate from either Halstead or Mosaic though. When that part is all done, the Dunn Loring staion will have 2,000 parking spaces versus about 1,355 now and improved and expanded bus bays. Could be a little bit of a mess in there during construction, though.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM

540 posts, read 642,715 times
I'm just inside the beltway across from Merrifield, and I am definitely excited about the changes there. They've put the metal beams in place for the second span of Lee Hwy across 495. Once that bridge is done and the Lee/Gallows intersection is fixed, that will be a huge improvement for both traffic and looks. And going to the Merrifield Target rather than through 7 corners will be great. Anyone know about what is planned for the old "Upscale Resale" lot next to Merrifield Garden Center. They closed down quite a while ago now, and there is a sign there for a new construction strip mall looking thing, but nothing has happened and I haven't seen any word about it recently. 8100 Lee Highway, Falls Church, VA, 22042 - Strip Center Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,688,681 times
I drove down Gallows today for my weekly Unique trip. They were doing a lot of work on/near the Halstead project. It's nice to see some progress! Having a Target nearby will be nice, too. I rarely go because there really isn't one nearby. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in a few years.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 AM

8,816 posts, read 10,725,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
No worries you people who wish to move here in Merrifield! Do not be alarmed over the current population of poor, non-native english speakers! I have been here 4 years and my family will surely be priced out in a couple of years to make room for more single white middle class adults such as yourselves who drive eco-cars and shop at Harris Teeter.
We had a discussion on here about how to preserve affordable housing in FFX county, including several people ranting against the FFX policy of giving developers density bonuses for affordable units. Perhaps you should have chimed in. I believe we CAN build up density to leverage our transit assets, and create the kinds of neighborhoods so much in demand, while still maintaining affordable housing. IF we have the will to do it. I also think LIMITING the construction of new units is NOT going keep prices DOWN.

Quote:
Hoping we undesirables can land in as affordable clean rental in Annandale thats a short, late running bus ride to a Metro Stop
I happen to live in Annandale and take that bus. Anyway, I dont think the addition of lots of new units in Dunn Loring will make Annandale less affordable.

Quote:
My painfully Liberal Bo-In-Law lectured us on using the one Civic we own and that my DH uses Metro round trip for work, as he climbed in his 4 door BMW he bought and drove in Italy, and now drives everywhere in VA. He also couldn't understand that we can't afford to live in an "Urban Env't" like Clarendon that close to Public Transportation.
Its unfortunate that some people are jerks. they exist in a variety of ideological flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia