Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 AM

48 posts, read 146,126 times

Advertisements

Will the Herndon station be at the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride?

The Park and Ride is opposite the Polo Fields subdivision. Interestingly, this subdivision is in Reston i.e. the zip is 20191. I guess Sunrise Valley Drive is the great divide between Reston and Herndon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,448 times
I suspect the answer may rest with experiences of people from out of town like me and my family. We discovered Herndon a few years ago and were blown away by what a great value it is for the lifestyle. My husband works in DC so we moved our family here knowing that *4* metros are going to be within 5 miles of our house. The new HOT lanes are also going to benefit him. If out of town families like us find out about it, I imagine that will positively impact property values. If not, it might just stay as it is now. With free concerts on the green, the farmer's market, the art center (which is expanding to include 250 seat theatre) shops, cafes, bike trails, golf course, pool etc. all within walking distance - we love it here. They even have easter egg hunts, fireworks and other festivals right here in downtown within a few blocks walking distance. We also enjoy the benefits of Reston town center without being in the HOA. The Herndon downtown redevelopment plan is now approved. It's beautiful with designs for more upscale housing , outdoor cafes, galleries and shopping to move in. Honestly, we're so glad we got a house here early while property values are so low. We've been here for a few years but started to notice just THIS year that other young families like us are moving into town, fixing up the houses and staying to enjoy the lifestyle. If they were flippers, I'd be concerned but I've been meeting other "out of town" families like us who could see what's happening and be unbiased because we didn't own here yet and move into town. I work in high tech and all of the jobs for me are either in or near Herndon so it was a no brainer for our personal situation. It's a typical scenario that's happened everywhere I've ever lived ... a cute little town with a historic district is discovered by up and coming families ... 10 years later, we all look back and talk about the good old days when it was the cheap place to buy.

I think VaTachMURP is right that it's one of NoVa's best values - BUT let's be honest, it's going to take 5 years to play out. Although flippers (investors) might make a little money, I think it's a better deal for people who want the lifestyle and can wait for the increase in values as the town is improved.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM

19 posts, read 34,713 times
I would like to thank everyone for their responses thus far (and those to come). This information has been very helpful for my wife and me. We will begin our house search in the next couple of weeks and I believe we will definitely be looking at Herndon as an option. We both work in the Fairfax/Centreville area with no plans to leave in the near future. I will continue to monitor this thread and thank you all again for your valuable input.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
I think Herndon has a lot of potential, and I really like the "town" feel it has. I think the Metro going to it will only improve the values. And even though people "know" the Metro is coming, I think the property prices will still increase once it's in or right before.

Having said that, I still think Herndon has a reputation of having a day laborer problem. I don't know if it's been resolved or is getting better, but for old timers who live there, I think that is one stigma that comes along with Herndon. Perhaps it won't be a problem for newcomers if the day laborer problem has been resolved or dramatically decreased (I haven't kept up with the situation). I do know that there is a high Hispanic population with a Spanish supermarket there and many Spanish-speaking people. That seems to have a negative effect on housing values and causes some people to not want to live there.

I don't think that Herndon is now suddenly being discovered and 10 years from now will have increased in value disproportionately in its favor compared to neighboring towns. My friends "discovered" downtown Herndon exactly 10 years ago. They were young. They fixed up a house. They walk into town for restaurants. Their housing value went up along with everyone else's in Fairfax County and went down with everyone else's too.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 858 times
Default Love Herndon

My fiance and I just bought a house in Herndon and we love it out here. One reason we did is because the market was so good and we got a wonderful interest rate. Another reason we did so was because we are confident that the property value is going to boom once the metro goes all the way out to Dulles airport. We live in off of route 7 and only about 10 minutes from Reston Town Center. The Herndon area seems to be expanding rapidly and is building more and more shopping centers, office buildings, etc. The market value of our house doubled from 2004 to 2013! All of the houses in the neighborhood only go up from there. That is why I see no way that the value won't shoot up once the metro is out here. I commute to Chevy Chase, MD everyday and it sucks. I would much rather drive 10 minutes, park, and then sit on a metro for 1.5 hours rather than sit in traffic for 2.5 hours a day. Even the Reston Metro will help the areas property value. But i'm looking forward to phase 2 completing around 2019!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:22 AM

67 posts, read 95,765 times
Phase 2 will be the extension to Dulles correct?

I bought a condo right near old town Herndon about 7 years ago. I have seen the value really drop and now watching come back up again. I really have my fingers crossed that I can at least get a good rental price for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia