U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 PM

13 posts, read 110,047 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I had posted a little while back about relocating to NOVA this fall since my husband will be working for the military in Arlington. The rent we can probably afford is in the 2K area and we have two kids, one school age. We recently learned we can live on Ft Belvoir if we choose to, any thoughts or suggestions on that? I probably will not work until our baby is a little older, and my husband will be traveling quite a bit. So I didn't know if from what anyone knows of base would we do better living there or finding a town house to rent? I have learned so much from reading this forum, even though I don't really know the area that well. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 AM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
I really would suggest living on Belvoir if you can. I think a military base is the safest and cleanest place you can live in any area. I drive by the TH's on belvoir a lot and they look really nice. Also the area along Rt. 1 north of belvoir is very ugly and a lot of crime in Farifax County is in that area (but not exactly a war zone) but as is the case with Bolling AFB right next to the war zone known as anacostia the base is the safest place you can be. My mother is even thinking about moving us there (retired military) and the one thing that would make her bare that commute back and forth to the Hoffman building every day would be that she'll never have to worry about crime on belvoir.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:20 PM

798 posts, read 2,478,977 times
I happened to be on Belvoir just a few weeks ago and drove through a housing area that looked very nice. That was just one of many housing areas I am sure but I would say if the school district is good, it would be worth taking a serious look.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Thank you all very much!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,553,998 times
Stay on the installation! The good outweighs the bad in almost every way! Convenience to facilities is a major plus - I so miss the 5 minute trip to the commissary!!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,640,844 times
in htis area if you can get on post housing...DO IT!!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 AM

Ok, thank you all! We have lived on post and off post in the past, but when we were in Southern California, another expensive area, we did on post housing. It seemed what we were able to have on base was nicer than what we could have afforded out in town for that amount. It helps to have input who actually know the area though!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 AM

407 posts, read 2,085,821 times
Definately stay on Belvoir, I personally chose to live off-post when I was stationed at Belvoir, but that was back in '97, and with the higher cost of housing, increased traffic etc. You are better off living on post-housing, even if you won't be living in the senior officers quarters!

Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times
The elementary school is located right on base. It is part of the Fairfax County school system. Here is the school website:

FCPS - School Profiles - Fort Belvoir ES

Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the website link!

Seldomseen, well my husband will actually be stationed/working in Arlington but since we can have DC area BAH the housing office on Belvoir said we would qualify to live there. No, we won't be in senior officer housing! But he's an E6 and the staff NCO housing looks nice from what I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia