U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 6,519 times

Advertisements

I saw this in an early thread and thought it would be a great way for me to get some info. I really appreciate any advise or help. If anyone is familiar with the Atlanta area, we'd love to be somewhere similar to Smyrna/Vinings, East Cobb, etc. We do have three kids so great schools would be #1 on our list. I've seen a couple of decent townhomes in Chantilly (East Gate area) but we have no idea what's what.

When are you moving? Less than a month
Where are you coming from? Suburbs of Atlanta, GA
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working? Manassas and Alexandria
Have you been here yet? No, but we're coming up this week and hope to walk away with a signed lease agreement.

Will you buy or rent? Rent for two years (until my oldest is done with high school)
If renting, are you looking for an apartment or a townhouse? How much can you spend? We would like a 4/3.5 townhouse, nothing old. We're willing to go up to $2700, cheaper is better but we need something nice.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with 3 children.
Do you prefer a certain public or private schools? Public, preferably a high school with ROTC so my son can remain in the program.
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Not until we buy
Are you keeping a car? Two cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet but close to bustling for weekend shopping and activities.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Family type places
Shopping
Basic services
Drive a car

Our kids play a variety of sports so we need to be close to softball, baseball, basketball facilities and teams.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We prefer a diverse neighborhood/school. We don't want to be the lonely only African-Americans but we're used to being in the minority, if that makes sense.

Coke or Pepsi?

I'm actually from Virginia so I'm a Pepsi gal but we've been in Atlanta so Coke is ok

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,029 times
I have family in Manassas and can say that I think you'll be fine there. It's a diverse city, although central americans seem to be growing and becoming the majority. There are a ton of stores and family related areas in Manassas. Depending on where you live, I95 and I66 are within a 15 minute drive which allows for options. I know the Wellington area of Manassas is pretty nice. Also heading out south on 28 closer to Vint Hill road is new and has very nice houses. There's also a fairly new shopping complex there with all the biggies - tj maxx, chic-fil-a, super target, etc. Schools in prince william county are very good. Chantilly is also a nice area, but depending on where you live, could take over 30 min to get to work. I would suggest looking in Manassas, Bristow, Gainesville areas first. All nice areas with low traffic in the direction you would be going, and there are numerous back roads. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,541,391 times
That large of townhouse will be difficult to find. I would look for detached homes in the Fairfax and Burke areas as they split the difference between commuting to Manassas and Alexandria.
5203 RUFFNER WOODS CT, BURKE, VA 22015 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-ROLLINGWOODS+ESTATES-BURKE-VA-MRIS-FX7648031 - broken link)
5307 KAYWOOD CT, FAIRFAX, VA 22032 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-KINGS+PARK+WEST-FAIRFAX-VA-MRIS-FX7634298 - broken link)
5847 NEW ENGLAND WOODS DR, BURKE, VA 22015 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-BURKE+CENTRE-BURKE-VA-MRIS-FX7609898 - broken link)
9374 TARTAN VIEW DR, FAIRFAX, VA 22032 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-CHESTNUT+HILLS+WEST-FAIRFAX-VA-MRIS-FX7626889 - broken link)
10211 MARSHALL POND RD, BURKE, VA 22015 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-BURKE+CENTRE-BURKE-VA-MRIS-FX7610746 - broken link)

Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the links. We'll be up this week so hopefully I'll find a good number of places to visit.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Default Anyone else?

Bump. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 PM

504 posts, read 653,515 times
There are a lot of good options in that price range between Alexandria and Manassas. Some areas that come to mind are Springfield/West Springfield, Burke, Fairfax, and Centreville.

I think your decision is really going to come down to how you want to balance the following tradeoffs:
- Ranking/Reputation of the high school
- The size, newness, and amenities (granite countertops etc) of the house/townhouse you rent
- Commutes you are willing to tolerate
- How close you want to be to public transportation and other conveniences
- Price

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,391,118 times
I'd agree that you should be able to find a 4/3-3.5 in between the two workplaces for a ballpark $2700. MilitaryByOwner is one good place at least to get a feel for the market and the area. You don't have to be military to use it, but once you select VA, you do have to select a base. Ft Myer or the Pentagon will get you stuff more to the east, NRO Chantilly will get you stuff more to the west.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM

560 posts, read 1,110,381 times
It might be worthwhile to consider whether the Virginia Railway Express would be feasible from Manassas for the Alexandria commuter-

Station Map

Whoever gets the short commute would then have more time for other family duties. Just a thought.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

447 posts, read 1,004,798 times
Wish I could help......we moved from the metro Atlanta area 2 years ago (Cobb County) but am not familiar with the NOVA corridor you are looking at (we are in Sterling and I still haven't gotten my sense of direction around here even after 2 years!). Reston is where you need to be looking if you are trying to duplicate Vinings/East Cobb. It is sort of a mix between East Cobb and the Perimeter areas. Can't really comment on how ugly the commutes would be. Have seen glimpses of the same in some areas of Fairfax too.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia