Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,737 times

Advertisements

We're relocating from Atlanta to Reston in 6 weeks. We've found a place to live and I have a contract job for at least 12 months, so I am set for now.

My partner has 8 years of experience as a bonafide paralegal, but she is now in a panic because all of the job listings she sees in the NOVA area require a B.A. which she does not have. She has great references and is fantastic at her job. This has never been an issue in ATL. In fact, she almost always (no matter what the economy is doing) has been able to find a job in Atlanta within 30 days of beginning her search.

Our living arrangement will require that we both work and she needs to make at least 50K. She has other types of experience, but that experience dates back more than 10 years and will not pay very much.

Are we panicking to soon, or do we have a real problem?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLtoNOVA View Post
We're relocating from Atlanta to Reston in 6 weeks. We've found a place to live and I have a contract job for at least 12 months, so I am set for now.

My partner has 8 years of experience as a bonafide paralegal, but she is now in a panic because all of the job listings she sees in the NOVA area require a B.A. which she does not have. She has great references and is fantastic at her job. This has never been an issue in ATL. In fact, she almost always (no matter what the economy is doing) has been able to find a job in Atlanta within 30 days of beginning her search.

Our living arrangement will require that we both work and she needs to make at least 50K. She has other types of experience, but that experience dates back more than 10 years and will not pay very much.

Are we panicking to soon, or do we have a real problem?

Thanks for any insight.
My sense is that most law firms of any size in this area require new paralegals to have a college degree. They get plenty of resumes and it's one way to screen them.

Can she get more than standard references? In other words, can she get someone she works with currently to affirmatively reach out to someone they know in this area? That might help her break through some red tape.

If she doesn't find anything, perhaps she can look at a document management firm like IKON, which has openings in the area. They do a lot of work for local law firms on an outsourced basis and it might give her an opportunity to meet people within firms she otherwise wouldn't get to know.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,737 times
JEB77 - These are both great suggestions. I had thought of mentioning your first idea to her. Someone she has worked with before HAS to have a colleague in the area.

I like the IKON idea as well. Thank you again!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 635 times
I have an opening for a Project Administrator in Reston, VA.... Looking for someone with a Paralegal background who could see themselves becoming a Project/Case Manager. Please contact me to discuss further. [email]agauthier@legaltechnologystaffing.com[/email]

Best,
Alicia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia