Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,798 times

Advertisements

Whatever they're making can't possibly be enough to justify being out in this weather. 37 degrees, raining, stare are passing cars all day, balance a sign in your numb hands.

God bless these guys for trying to make a buck. Hopefully, if they're working today, they get some kinda of bonus or advantage when its nice out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,507 times
I was pretty impressed by the skill of some of the sign flippers for apartment complexes in Alexandria when we lived there. So much so that here I am, years later recalling and remarking!

I really have to doubt much, if any, return on investment using that as a marketing means, though. Then again, I speak from my own perspective of being one who researches things thoroughly and firmly decides where I'm going. If I were the type who didn't research much, maybe I'd be more inclined to respond to that type of marketing.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Whatever they're making can't possibly be enough to justify being out in this weather. 37 degrees, raining, stare are passing cars all day, balance a sign in your numb hands.

God bless these guys for trying to make a buck. Hopefully, if they're working today, they get some kinda of bonus or advantage when its nice out.

I'd SO much prefer a day like today, rather than the weather in the summer, 100+ degrees, with the humidity.

At least today, you can layer warmth.....

Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM

97 posts, read 263,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Apparently people pay more attention to signs that people are holding rather than those just stuck in the ground. If they are wearing a costume as well and waving, that is the most effective. I think it is a load of crap. None of it ever works for me...I will go into a store when I need to go into a store, not because someone is holding a sign.
I don't think the intent is to make you swerve the car into the parking lot when you see the sign, but to notice (and remember) that the place exists. Then when you do need a tax prep place, or want to sell some gold, you will remember the guy dressed like the statue of liberty holding the WE DO TAXES sign at the shopping center near your house and maybe check it out.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,639 times
How do you make a flipper's sign? Is it 3/8" or 1/4" coraplast? Is it two pieces glued back to back? Does it have a handle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia