U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 PM

68 posts, read 72,545 times
Default How much do those sign flippers make?

I see these guys all over the place. They are advertising by holding or rather flipping a sign over and under to attract your attention to some second rate furniture store or open house for some real estate company.
Does anyone have any idea how much these people get paid? I have always been curious and with the economy in the tank for certain unskilled workers I was guessing somewhere in the $10/hr range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,265,614 times
I've seen these positions advertised for $10/hr.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,836,902 times
Interesting. I have wondered also. I think the technical term for this job is "human directional".

Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 AM

105 posts, read 214,827 times
Why do they even do this? I've always assumed that you can't just stick a sign in the ground and call it a day but by having a person there it's legally different, more akin to loitering.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,436,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeller View Post
Why do they even do this? I've always assumed that you can't just stick a sign in the ground and call it a day but by having a person there it's legally different, more akin to loitering.
Apparently people pay more attention to signs that people are holding rather than those just stuck in the ground. If they are wearing a costume as well and waving, that is the most effective. I think it is a load of crap. None of it ever works for me...I will go into a store when I need to go into a store, not because someone is holding a sign. I am surprised they get paid so much. But, good to know how much I need to pay any off to drop their puppy sale signs.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,785,267 times
A lot of them aren't even very good. They drop the signs a lot, the turns and twirls aren't smooth, and what's worse, sometimes they lose a grip on the sign and it flies out into the street causing motorists to have to slam on the brakes.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,612,104 times
Most of the jokers I see are just sitting on some railing. A hot chick in a bikini or a guy in a borat swimsuit gets more attention - lol

Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,265,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
A lot of them aren't even very good. They drop the signs a lot, the turns and twirls aren't smooth, and what's worse, sometimes they lose a grip on the sign and it flies out into the street causing motorists to have to slam on the brakes.
And sometimes they're AWESOME!! I'm talking about the ones that are really into it, wearing headphones and putting on a good show.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM

1,163 posts, read 840,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Apparently people pay more attention to signs that people are holding rather than those just stuck in the ground. If they are wearing a costume as well and waving, that is the most effective. I think it is a load of crap. None of it ever works for me...I will go into a store when I need to go into a store, not because someone is holding a sign. I am surprised they get paid so much. But, good to know how much I need to pay any off to drop their puppy sale signs.
I agree that the sign holder doesn't influence me to buy whatever they're shilling any more than a stationary sign, but it certainly gets my attention better. There are so many random signs stuck in the ground I barely notice them anymore. Although sometimes the sign flipper gets a little too carried away and I can't even read it.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM

844 posts, read 700,737 times
I've had my share of crappy jobs, but honestly this takes the cake. How would like to stand holding a sign in these temps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia