Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 AM

429 posts, read 954,328 times

Advertisements

You're very welcome. Best wishes to your family member!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I went thru 4 Endos before I found my current one. One had a 6 month wait (and was not worth it). I finally found a woman doc in Alexandria that specializes in thyroid and hormones. She's actually a GYN (sorry guys) and concentrates on the total package. The 4 docs before her told me weight gain was just something I had to accept. She doesn't agree. I found her in Mary Shoman's Top Thyroid Doc list on the web and in her book. It took her 2 years and 45 pounds off to get me stabilized and on a regimen that works. She didn't come cheap, either. She doesn't accept insurance, but she is available by phone for unlimited follow up between appointments. At first it was a burden, but when the meds were finally right, it was like someone turned on a light switch.

Doctor Donna Hurlock in Alexandria - if you're tired of getting the run-around. Also, never a problem with her staff, unlike other doctor offices. One of those other offices actually yelled at me for not getting blood on their schedule. The moment the woman raised her voice to scold me loudly (Reston VA), I knew we were done. I ran into equally rude in Fairfax staff and Fair Oaks. If a doctor is really good, they are worth their baggage and quirks. But having posted on some of those medical rating sites, sure, they can be rigged, but they do prevent someone from posting twice at the same location. You also have to provide an email and acknowledge you accept responsibility for the posts, which infers contact info will be provided if someone decides to file a suit. I do pay attentioin to the disgruntled more than the happy....and I decide if those reasons are important to me.

Edited to add: I drive from Central PW County to Alexandria. But, I would also drive to Richmond or Charlottesville for this doctor.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
I was going to ask what the person needs the endo for. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and I haven't found a good endo yet. I have been to Dr. Saberinia and I'm sure he is great for diabetes and other things but when it comes to Hashi's forget it.

I should have been clued in by my first visit. My TSH was a little off so my regular doc sent me to him. I finally got an appointment and was in tears by the time I left his office. He asked what had been going on and I explained the severe weight gain over the course of a year, fatigue, etc. He told me to get some bloodwork and to make an appointment for 2 - 3 months out. I asked him - why so long? And he said....I don't think there is really anything wrong with you.... I was devastated....but he is like the only endo around with my plan at the time....

He goes by old numbers as far as TSH is concerned and when hewould ask how I was feeling and I would tell him - he would say - well, your numbers are good so I'll see you next year. I finally found a doc who would treat the disease and found out that I was having a reaction to the drug that he had me on, and my T4 was not converting to T3. And also - because I produced so many antibodies that attacked the thyroid, my numbers should have been on the super low range of the 'new' updated scale...not the old one he was using. For three years I wasted my time....sigh... But - that being said, I think he is good for other things but if it is thyroid related - forget it. You can just get your regular doc to prescribe what he did.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
It's for diabetes.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Then I think he would be good (Dr. Saberinia). There is also the Endocrinology Group in Arlington www.endocrinologygroup.com I know some folks who go there for diabetes and they are happy but I personally don't know.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
Vermonter - this is exactly why I see him and I've been very happy with his care. Sorry you had such a bad experience

Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Middlin - no worries. Hashimoto's is a completely misunderstood disease....I don't know any current endo's that know how to properly treat it in this current day and age. I think he'd be perfectly fine for diabetes but certainly not a thyroid related issue. And since you see him for diabetes and know first hand - I think that's a great recommendation.

Smart Money - I know what you've gone through soooo well. And I have looked at seeing Dr. Hurlock but my husband recently had a heart attack and quad bypass so paying out of pocket for anything is a burden right now. I was seeing Dr. Jennifer Lee of Steinmetz Medical Associates and she was super good and figured out a lot of the issues I was having....I just couldn't afford to keep going.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM

No, I meant that I see him for Hashimoto's hypothyroidism

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Just wanted to add my 2 cents:

I see an endo in Alexandria because I had thyroid cancer. It's very important to find an endo that knows their thyroid over diabetes if you've got a thyroid problem. That's sometimes hard to do. I had a great internal medicine doctor to treat my thyroid issues for years (his sub-speciality was thyroid). He retired and I was referred to Dr. Albert Coo in Alexandria. Very, very good. Nice, calm practice, no wait times. So, I'm pleased.

Now for Dr. Hurlock. My friend went to see Dr. Hurlock for GYN issues. She tested her thyroid and her TSH was absolutely fine (at 2.0) yet she was bothered because my friend was about 30 lbs overweight. My friend knows exactly why she is overweight and on top of it all feels great. The doctor INSISTED that she try treating herself with thyroid medication. Well, my friend figured she'd follow the doctor's advice and she was MISERABLE for 6 weeks while on the medication. She had all sorts of symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

I will just simply say that, because of my thyroid cancer, I've been heavily involved in thyroid cancer support and, in that vein, have run across a few of the type thyroidologists in the U.S. A few of them are NOT happy with Mary Shomon and her website and some of the stuff that goes on there and it has nothing to do with being in the backpocket of a pharmaceutical.

While there are certainly too many people not being treated for thyroid issues because they can't get with the correct doctor, there are issues arising from people getting web advice and being overtreated for thyroid when there are other issues. My friend's experience was one example of that.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM

I hear that and wouldn't have an OB treat my disease. I have regular ultrasounds and went thru a very painful biopsy last year. Last time I opt out of drugs for this type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia