Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
When you go, I think you should insist on a Free T3. There actually really is no point in taking a T3 supplement if you are converting well enough on your own. A small percentage of the population does not convert T4 to T3 so most doctors don't check it because it is rare. But it's certainly worth a shot.
I already know I don't convert it well because I had that as one of my regular tests in the bloodwork when I was paying out of pocket. Now, I just can't find a doctor who actually cares about that under my plan. I can't take levo or synthyroid because they both cause severe adverse reactions.

I just gave up... I couldn't even get a second job with TSA (no flaming please because of this stinking thyroid. I get up at 3am Monday - Friday and work until 2:30 or 3pm and get home between 3:30 and 5pm. Not once in fourteen years of working this job have I ever, ever, ever called in sick....ever. Even when my husband had a heart attack and quad bypass this spring I only missed two days and I made sure that those were scheduled ahead of time.

At any rate - this second job was going to help supplement the bills coming in, etc. so after I got put on medical hold because of the throid I went back to another doctor....same old thing...take this drug even if it makes you feel bad. My numbers couldn't get in range in time (I had 3 months) because my body is producing so many antibodies.

I guess I'm a little bitter about the whole Hashimoto's thing. It is extremely misunderstood and as they say the 'most common' cause of a low thyroid, however - I don't know too many people that actually have had their antibodies tested to see what their body is doing. It's not my thyroid causing the problem - it's causing the symptoms, it's the antibodies that are actually causing the problem with the thyroid, not the thyroid itself.

Oh, I'm frustrated....but I digress....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM

429 posts, read 954,200 times
vermonter16, that's quite disturbing about your missed job opportunity. I recently found out you can't join the military with thyroid problems unless your get a waiver from your doc saying that you can do without your meds during basic training. Imagine how that would mess somebody up.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 PM

18 posts, read 52,221 times
Thanks, cnjaspen. I'll check into him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia