U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM

629 posts, read 692,414 times

Advertisements

Last night, when I was lying in bed at 11:15pm trying to sleep, I heard little kids screaming. At first I thought it was some crazy native Virginia bird I've never heard before, but the pitches weren't consistent.

So, I walk outside the house and saw a giant family with 4 or 5 kids playing on the swing set across from my house. 11PM on a Sunday night??? I walked over there and kindly reminded them that it was 11pm and that I could hear their screaming kids from my bedroom window across the street, and that I had to get up early. The lady said she was sorry,
and when I went back to bed, it stopped; so she was nice enough to have done something about it.

My question(s) is/are: was I out of line? and why are little kids up that late playing on a swing set in a neighborhood? And had the loud children not stopped, would I talk to the HOA or the Sheriff (or police, or whoever they have here)?

I'll be honest, I don't think they lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM

698 posts, read 805,316 times
Usually HOAs have rules regarding use of their playgrounds. Ours is from dawn to dusk. Keeps the teenagers away.

There are noise ordinances in Loudoun County. We got a reminder in our community magazine that any noise from your house shouldn't be heard by your neighbors. Good luck with that on 1/5 acre lots.

Obviously, identifying the offenders is easy when they're in their house. I'm not sure what you'd do with your situation. Go up and demand their names? I think you handled it appropriately and what a surprise, the offender complied!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:35 PM

13 posts, read 22,221 times
wow! you handled it well and it's great they understood (after the fact at least lol!) We have an HOA, and there are "dawn to dusk" rules for the playgrounds, but if that was me and the loudness continued I'd probably call the non emergency sheriff line...

Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,697,337 times
I am glad that the family was responsible about it. Perhaps they were having so much fun that they lost track of time? I don't think you were out of line and I commend you for facing them yourself rather than relying on Loudoun County to send someone out on their schedule which could take some time. Hopefully this is the last time you have to deal with this!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM

2,017 posts, read 2,968,611 times
I don't think I would call the sheriff unless it was an ongoing problem and/or the noisy people were nasty when confronted. There are times when some of our neighbors seem extra noisy, but then it turns out that it's a birthday party or graduation party or something like that, and I cut them some slack because I know they've cut us some slack on occasion.

As for kids out that late - around here I see that a lot in the summer, but once school starts back the school-aged kids disappear into their overscheduled lives and we don't see them roaming the neighborhood again until holiday break. The family you heard might have been visiting relatives or something and just needed to wear the kids out before bed.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 AM

629 posts, read 692,414 times
This was the first time I've heard it in the 9 months I've been living there, so it wasn't that big of a deal - but when something interferes with my sleep, I become a confronter

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,236,013 times
I had a neighbor once who bought a really loud motorcycle. I couldn't stand his revving up in the early hours, especially Sunday morning (gawd, can we sleep in at least one day of the week?). We wrote letters to the HOA and he stopped doing that.

But if there are rowdy/noisy people, kids, etc. late at night then you should call the Sheriff's office. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia