U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,542 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from SoCal to NoVa, working in Chantilly for 1 year. I'm moving out with my wife and 2 kids (3 years, 6 months) and looking for recommendations on nearby towns. We value being within walking distance of stores/entertainment if possible, as well as green spaces/trails/parks for the kids. I'd like to have a commute of less than 30 minutes each way, and have reasonable access to the metro to get into DC when we want to.

My budget is ~2000 per month, and I'd like a place with 3 bedrooms and some yard (could be a house or townhome/condo).

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,541,381 times
Gauchogolfer...did you go to UCSB by any chance? I grew up not far from the university

Reston would fit a lot of your desires. Lots of parks and bike paths and such, and town center has shops and restaurants and such. Vienna would also probably fit the bill, and you'd have a nice little reverse commute. The $2000 budget is going to be limiting though. I'm not sure you'll find what you want in either community (though other posters may be able to prove me wrong).

Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,522,644 times
For Chantilly, you might try either Ashburn or South Riding. Maybe even parts of Leesburg? I know these places have cheaper housing than Reston or Fairfax, especially if you want a 3 bedroom or bigger.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,098,469 times
If you can leave @ 7am or so, areas near Leesburg would work for you.

The $2k limit is pretty tough for a SFH but I think a TH in Reston would work for you. Also not all 2BR places are created equal, some might have a large area in the basement that is a de facto 3rd bedroom.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,248,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
...The $2k limit is pretty tough for a SFH but I think a TH in Reston would work for you...
Wow - can you get a townhouse in Reston for only $2000/month!?

I was going to recommend that the OP look into Sully Station (a minute south of Chantilly) until I read the $2K limit. But you're suggesting RESTON!?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 AM

2,240 posts, read 6,973,634 times
I used to work in Chantilly and lived in Ashburn Farm. It would take me about 20-30 minutes to get there, depending on traffic. I would go through Brambleton. Brambleton (which is part of Ashburn) is a town center community, so you have a movie theatre, grocery store, speciality shops (like coffee, dresses, paint pottery place), gym, restauraunts, etc.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,522,644 times
Not a lot of 3 BR TH's in Reston for that price. A few, but not many. There is a neighborhood right behind mine in North Point (I think it is called Summit Ridge?) that occasionally has TH's for rent just under $2K. They are not the mega-TH's that have been built in the past 10 years, but they are decent sized and walking distance to schools, parks, pools and North Point Village Center. There are a lot of kids back there.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,542 times
Thanks all for the replies. If we were to live in Chantilly, South Riding, or Reston, how long would it normally take to get into DC taking the metro? We'd like that to be relatively easy, but I want to have the right expectations.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM

394 posts, read 319,860 times
Depends on what time of day you are going and weekend vs weekday.

Start with the time for let's say Vienna metro to downtown (~30min), then you need to add in time for driving to the metro, parking, walking to the platform and waiting for your train.

It could be anywhere from 1 hour total if there is no traffic from your neighborhood to the metro to two hours if you are fighting the worst of rush hour, construction etc.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

10 posts, read 10,622 times
If you can find an apartment as close to your job as possible, you are better off, even for just one year. The commutes to that area are horrible, for every year you try commuting , you will age five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia