U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 AM

33 posts, read 38,113 times

Advertisements

So my husbands clearance finally came through and we will be in VA on the 23rd! So the search for a rental is on!

He will be working in Newington off of Boston Blvd. We have 3 small kids, 2 in elementary and one (hopefully there is one with open spots) in preschool. Right now the most important factors are 1. living in a clean, family-friendly neighborhood. 2. Commute no longer than 40 minutes and possibly near public transport. We will only have 1 car for awhile. 3. A good, positive school environment.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these neighborhoods, commutes and schools.

1. Aspenpark Rd in Lorton. Hayfield Elementary
2. Sunny Brook Ct in Lake Ridge. Springwoods Elementary
3. Whittier Loop in Dumfries. Monclair Elementary

Thanks in advance!
Rainbow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM

393 posts, read 1,090,524 times
I can't speak to any of the areas or schools you mentioned (although Aspenpark Rd is just around the bend from me), but I do know the area your husband will be working in. Have you considered Springfield (zip 22153)? Specifically, the Saratoga neighborhood where he could walk to work? It's a nice community, but I don't know anything about the schools. Just a thought.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks for you reply. I am out of state and don't know much about areas, so I am not sure where the Saratoga neighborhood is. I have looked on homesdatabase.com and it doesn't seem like there is much to rent in the area within walking distance to his work. However, we are looking for a 3 bedroom townhouse for around $1800 so it might be out of our price range. Thanks again, though!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:34 AM

393 posts, read 1,090,524 times
Try looking at Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com®

Old 08-13-2011, 05:57 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,106,713 times
I am familiar with numbers 2 and 3. My mom lives in the Springwoods neighborhood toward the back in the townhomes. She's been there for years and is happy there. Lots of walkability (although to nowhere!!) and the elementary school has always been well rated.

Number 3 is Montclair and I have a personal preference for that neighborhood. We don't live in the neighborhood but both my kids attended Henderson Elementary and LOVED it and the school. I wish I had lived in that neighborhood. Every time I drive through I am envious because it is a highly kid-centric neighborhood with lots of younger kids out ridiing bikes or walking to the pool or just playing. It reminds me a lot of "kid living" when I was younger.

I live in one of those neighborhoods that you never see the kids outside playing and Springwoods is more like that, just because of the way it is structured. I think Montclair offers a lot more privacy, cul-de-sacs and smaller neighborhood roads WAY off their main road that allow for hanging out.

Montclair elementary is good also and was one of the few schools (at least many years ago) that had a voluntary uniform policy that most parents took advantage of.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,660,486 times
We both work in Springfield and lived in the Montclair area (Ashland subdivision and had a Manassas zip) for about 8 years. The Montclair area is nice with a lot of positives. Our avg. drive to Springfield was about 40 minutes, leaving at 7 a.m. Occasionally it was a little better, but when it was worse it was much worse. I hated coming home on Fridays. It got old and we moved to Springfield. Our house is older (but better built), and the shorter commute was more than worth any trade offs. Our neighbors are very friendly. I sent you PM with some possibilities in the 22152 and 22153 zip codes.

Last edited by tgbwc; 08-13-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks so much for the replies and help! In the last few days the Lorton one has rented and the Whittier Loop hasn't called back after our 1st conversation. Sunny Brook is still an option. And I am calling on a few more today from realtor.com and that tgbwc pm'd me. Thanks again!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 AM

34 posts, read 96,035 times
Default Questions about Montclair area schools

My husband will be commuting to DC. We have looked at the Stafford area, but recently found the Montclair area and really like all that is has to offer. Plus, it's a little shorter commute. My biggest concern are the schools. From what I've read, the elementary schools are decent to good, but not so much for middle schools. Can anyone tell me more about the schools in this area.
I'd also be interested in other areas similar to Montclair, do they exist? We are looking to buy a single family home under $400K.

THANKS!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM

34 posts, read 96,035 times
Sorry to OP. I thought I had started another thread. Did not mean to steal you post.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia