U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM

661 posts, read 787,178 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I will be heading over there next weekend. The place closes at five and I may need to kill a few hours in the afternoon/early evening. I will have a teenager in tow. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,266,990 times
Well you're not too far from Old Town Alexandria.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Well you're not too far from Old Town Alexandria.
What do they have there besides the ghost tour (which is at night fittingly)?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,839,182 times
Did the Rt. 1 Putt-Putt Golf survive?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Did the Rt. 1 Putt-Putt Golf survive?
That's been gone for several years. They remodeled Hybla Valley Center and added a bunch of shops where that used to be. I don't think there's too much else around here (I live by the Estate) that would interest a teen unless you want to walk or ride bikes along the river on the Mount Vernon Trail. .

There is plenty to do in Old Town Alexandria. There are boat trips from down on the waterfront including a water taxi over to National Harbor in MD. Right by those is the Torpedo Factory if you're at all interested in art. There are tons of little shops nearby along King Street. Most would be open in the evening.

What time are you getting to the Estate? Most people don't stay more than three or four hours. You can probably do it justice in two, depending how long you want to hang out in the gift shop and/or food court. They do sell a combo river cruise/admission ticket.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 08-10-2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,839,182 times
Bell Haven Marina?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Bell Haven Marina?
There is the park there too or you can hike out in Dyke Marsh. Not sure a teen would find any of those all that exciting.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,323,278 times
Head to Old Town and take the water taxi to National Harbor?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's been gone for several years. They remodeled Hybla Valley Center and added a bunch of shops where that used to be. I don't think there's too much else around here (I live by the Estate) that would interest a teen unless you want to walk or ride bikes along the river on the Mount Vernon Trail. .

There is plenty to do in Old Town Alexandria. There are boat trips from down on the waterfront including a water taxi over to National Harbor in MD. Right by those is the Torpedo Factory if you're at all interested in art. There are tons of little shops nearby along King Street. Most would be open in the evening.

What time are you getting to the Estate? Most people don't stay more than three or four hours. You can probably do it justice in two, depending how long you want to hang out in the gift shop and/or food court. They do sell a combo river cruise/admission ticket.
I don't think the people at Mt. Vernon do. I have seen independent companies that do. I don't like the boats they use, however. They have A/C, which is no kind of way to boat.

Taking a boat to this harbor seems like a good idea. Any suggestions for companies and parking? Thanks.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
I don't think the people at Mt. Vernon do. I have seen independent companies that do. I don't like the boats they use, however. They have A/C, which is no kind of way to boat.

Taking a boat to this harbor seems like a good idea. Any suggestions for companies and parking? Thanks.
You can buy boat tickets through Mount Vernon. Here's all the info on it:

George Washington's Mount Vernon - Visiting Mount Vernon by Boat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia