Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I truly, truly dislike oil companies. I WISH we could live a car free lifestyle, honestly - if we had been able to move to Austin, we were going to cut down to just one car (OK, probably more like one nice car and one beater for the VERY rare times I was going to need to drive around, but still). I get mad every time I fill my car up. Our country basically built itself around the idea that gas would always be cheap, and now we're stuck.

I'm just going to leave it at that because otherwise I could rant for hours...
In economics there is a term called supply and demand. What happens when there is more demand than supply?

I think it's funny how we demand more and more and more oil and then blame the oil companies because we lack the education or personal responsibility to accept our own contribution to the problem is the driving factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In economics there is a term called supply and demand. What happens when there is more demand than supply?

I think it's funny how we demand more and more and more oil and then blame the oil companies because we lack the education or personal responsibility to accept our own contribution to the problem is the driving factor.
Then milk should be like $10 a gallon and chicken should be $50 a pound .

I drive a Toyota Corolla

Unfortunately - our government hates alternative energy and will not invest what is needed to get the country off the current amount of our dependence on oil.

If earnings matched the inflation of oil prices it might be a different story but that is another entire economics issue. We live here in this area so it's not as big of an issue as say my home state of Vermont where earnings are a lot lower and jobs are harder to come by. Driving 100 miles round trip might take a person's hourly pay or more every day after taxes. But - the individual has no choice....pay the price of gas and drive and suck it up - or move closer to the job...but that would be impossible because they couldn't afford to move closer to the job...

Look - I'm not a math person. My brother is . But, and obviously everyone has to make a profit....however - the entire world economy is hurting....the middle class will eventually be obsolete. And in certain parts of the country - honest americans are working their butts off and still living hand to mouth, we just don't see it here as much.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,006 times
Quote:
When did I say I didn't agree with supply and demand? Or the idea that our addiction to oil isn't a big part of the problem?

You'll never convince me that the oil companies aren't screwing us at the tank, BUT I fully acknowledge that America's car-dependent lifestyle which included suburbanization/expansion built around the premise of cheap gas is a HUGE reason we all go bananas when gas prices go up.

In many places, gas prices are MUCH higher, but they have also invested in better public transportation options and people plan their lives accordingly. In the US, we give no thought to hopping in the car to go EVERYWHERE. This is NOT a good thing.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,098 times
The reason we have to use cars is because of 'sprawl and crawl'. We have to have a place to live, can't live closer in, so the rich developers build and build and build and our government doesn't ask anything of them in regards to contributing to mass transit. It isn't an individual's fault that they have to drive.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM

267 posts, read 511,654 times
Quote:
Lastly, if you buy $100 worth of gas....about $10 goes to oil company profits and $40-50 winds up in the pocket of the government. So when certain govt. ELECTED officials get heat over the cost of gas....whom do you think they are going to try to deflect blame too?

+1

Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
The reason we have to use cars is because of 'sprawl and crawl'. We have to have a place to live, can't live closer in, so the rich developers build and build and build and our government doesn't ask anything of them in regards to contributing to mass transit. It isn't an individual's fault that they have to drive.
I hadn't thought of this angle, but I can definitely see it. Also a supply and demand thing, BUT there was NOT a lot of smart growth going on in this country over the last 100 years or so. It drives me nuts to go visit my IL's in TX where the houses and land are cheap, but all they did was throw houses up one after the other and didn't do ANY infrastucture planning so the roads all these subdivisions dump onto are ridiculously clogged.

We are actually pretty lucky to live in an area that does have some public transportation. Most places in this country do not. Our system might be clunky and aging, but at least it is there.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Then milk should be like $10 a gallon and chicken should be $50 a pound .

I drive a Toyota Corolla

Unfortunately - our government hates alternative energy and will not invest what is needed to get the country off the current amount of our dependence on oil.

If earnings matched the inflation of oil prices it might be a different story but that is another entire economics issue. We live here in this area so it's not as big of an issue as say my home state of Vermont where earnings are a lot lower and jobs are harder to come by. Driving 100 miles round trip might take a person's hourly pay or more every day after taxes. But - the individual has no choice....pay the price of gas and drive and suck it up - or move closer to the job...but that would be impossible because they couldn't afford to move closer to the job...

Look - I'm not a math person. My brother is . But, and obviously everyone has to make a profit....however - the entire world economy is hurting....the middle class will eventually be obsolete. And in certain parts of the country - honest americans are working their butts off and still living hand to mouth, we just don't see it here as much.
Hey, I used to ahve a corrolla too, great car.
Alternative energy is on the rise, not happening overnight but I will take what I can get.
I agree with your points about wage stagnation etc.

I'm merely pointing out that if you look at the profits for oil companies they mate about a 10% margin. This is wholely reasonable when looking at pretty much all other industries. The politicians have created the "record profits" bogeyman as an acceptable scapegoat for the uneducated masses and also because of the oil ties of the previous administration. Basically, it's a lie for political gain.

I forgot to mention the KEY point everyone here is missing, so I'm going to bold it.
Remember when the US dollar was worth $1.20 canadian and now it's worth....about $1 canadian? This is caused by currency devaluation due to our economic policies. (We buy our foreign oil with dollars that are now worth less)

So, everything else being equal if the dollar were still holding it's value we'd all be paying about 50cents a gallon LESS right now.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Ouch, sore subject!

I just home from fueling our boat for our annual cruise to Cape Cod/Block Island next week....1025 gallons of diesel @ $4.40 a gallon (fuel is ALWAYS more at marinas).

Sheesh, almost FIVE GRAND in the tanks....and we'll have to do it again to get home.

Oh well, we'll do it as long we can afford it...we got salt water in our veins!

One thing that's quite humorous....the fuel I bought today set me back what I earn in 2-1/2 months driving my school bus!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,125 times
Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to join the Navy?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:40 PM

540 posts, read 790,255 times
Quote:

Lastly, if you buy $100 worth of gas....about $10 goes to oil company profits and $40-50 winds up in the pocket of the government. So when certain govt. ELECTED officials get heat over the cost of gas....whom do you think they are going to try to deflect blame too?
Um, no. Given your example, $100 worth of gas at $4/gallon is 25 gallons. Per the chart above, the tax per gallon in Virginia is 38 cents. 25 gallon times 38 cents is $9.50. Less than 10% of your purchase, not 40-50% like you suggest. If you are incorporating corporate taxes, that is a whole different ball of wax, but I assume that isn't what you are getting at.

Gas taxes have been way too low for way too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia