Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM

231 posts, read 575,424 times

Advertisements

Hi! So in either late October or early November I'm going to be taking my own family photo's. I am a photographer and usually hire someone else to do our photo's, but I just figured it would be a fun family day trip and we can just have fun and I'll bring my tripod and do it myself this year. We are new to the area and we have never been there before. I've heard it's just beautiful there. The problem that I am worried about is that I don't know what kind of road it is. My daughter who is 6 gets car sick pretty bad. I mean, going anywhere if there is a windy road or traffic, she will be throwing up all over the car. So, how is skyline drive? Is it a really windy road? or is it pretty straight? Also how far would we have to go to find a place that we can go to and stop and take pictures and maybe have a picnic lunch?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
The roads up there can get pretty windy, I got a bit nauseous myself last year. Just kept thinking, man, ain't no way I can be an astronaut or fighter pilot now. The only thing I could do really was close my eyes till the roads straightened out again.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Its not skyline drive itself thats so bad, its the roads up to it - esp 211 by Thornton Gap entrance. You might try entering the park at Front Royal instead, though thats longer from most of NoVa, and longer on the drive to the really pretty spots.

You could take pictures in a lot of places though. There are picnic tables close to the thornton gap entrance near Pinnacles, IIRC. Or you could go to Skyland and picnic and take pics there.

We prefer to hike and to eat a picnic lunch ON the hike.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
It's a pretty curvy road with lots of elevation changes. I remember as a little kid we went to Luray Caverns and did Skyline as well. I threw up . Unfortunately if your child gets car sick easily, good chances this road won't be pleasant. The nice thing is that there are a lot of pull offs in case you need to stop.

Funny thing is now I ride a motorcycle now and I have no problems with those kinds of roads. I actually search them out now

Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
Speaking of motorcycles, just be wary for sportbike riders going at breakneck speeds on 211, it's just a thing for DC area sportbike riders to ride 211 as fast as they can, I think it makes them feel like they're Valentino Rossi or something

Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
211 is a pretty fun road, but too bad they lowered it to 35mph. Way too slow to have much fun...

Oh and be wary of cruisers who are having a hard time staying in there lane - lol

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
It's a pretty curvy road with lots of elevation changes.
Well-put.

Aside from that, fall is an amazing time to go.
We went last fall; the pictures you will get are going to be phenomenal.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM

231 posts, read 575,424 times
thanks everyone. We would most likely enter through Front Royal as we are in Chantilly. I think we will just find an area that is close to the entrance so that my daughter isn't miserable. There has to be a nice area with lots of really bright fall colors that we can go to before it gets too bad right?
Thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candicem View Post
thanks everyone. We would most likely enter through Front Royal as we are in Chantilly. I think we will just find an area that is close to the entrance so that my daughter isn't miserable. There has to be a nice area with lots of really bright fall colors that we can go to before it gets too bad right?
Thanks!

Entering from Front Royal is a piece of cake and not windy at all getting to the park. The park road itself is 35 mph and a little windy but taking it easy with a window down for fresh air should work well for your daughter.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Also Remember the park fees to get in...before Dec 1st it'sd $15.00 per vehicle
It is BEAUTIFUL in the fall and there are a TON of overlooks to pull over etc...

Shenandoah National Park - Driving Skyline Drive (U.S. National Park Service)

There ae also some very easy 1-2mile (walks/hikes) in the north area that would probably have some great photo ops.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...ridge_area.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia