Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I was thinking:

Reston, VA
Berkeley Springs, WV
Canaan Valley and Davis---230 Main Lodge Rd. Davis, WV 26260
Spruce Knob, WV
Canaan Valley and Davis---Circleville, WV 26804
Green Bank, WV 24944
Reston, VA

does this seem like an 'interesting' and 'eventful' 2-3 day trip?
which town/city should we get the hotel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Personally, I'd just want to spend my time in one place - one hotel anyway. I'm not sure if Berkeley Springs is near the other two - not thinking it is. I guess it depends on how much you want to do and how much you want to relax. I've been to Berkeley Springs but not the other places, although I've heard Canaan Valley is very nice.

In Berkeley Springs there is a small downtown that is easily covered in an afternoon - some stores, restaurants, and antique shops. There is also the springs where you can book a bath or other type massaging spring-fed activity. Berkeley Springs State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Besides that, there is a state park Cacapon Resort State Park that is nice. But frankly, we spent an overnight there, and it was plenty of time. For a 3-day trip, I'd go somewhere else.
Traveling between each of those places is about an hour or two. i was thinking we'd drive to berkley springs on sat. morning....spend the whole day there, then go to the next place and so on. (multiple places can be seen in one day if close by)

do you still think it's not a good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 AM

200 posts, read 560,670 times
Quote:
Boston/Miami/Vegas flights are silly high! not worth it in my opinion for a 3 day trip.

how can i get to see (is that possible) these things Natthapol mentioned:

- Greenbank observatory: see the world largest fully steerable radio telescope.
- Lewisburg: a nice small town. If you are feeling adventurous, try exploring Lost world cavern nearby
- Can not afford Greenbrier but would be nice to see it for a couple of hours
- Canaan Valley and Davis: Gorgeous scenery, beautiful waterfalls and great hiking at Dolly Sods Wilderness area.
- Berkeley springs
- Nelson Rock Preserve: One of the two via ferrata in the US!
- Spruce Knob: highest point in WV

1. is it possible to see all these places?
2. do i need to leave on friday 23rd instead and come back monday 26th afternoon? (as opposed to leaving saturday 24th)
3. which towns should i get the hotels in?
4. Are there any other places i can see that wasn't mentioned in your post?

Thank you SOOO MUCH!!!

That's a lot to cover.. If I were you, I would pick a base and explore nearby areas. You can find great rental homes with good price in Canaan Valley and Snowshoe. The other areas that has nice accommodations are Lewisburg/Greenbrier but it will take you further from Canaan and Berkeley springs area. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is a centrally located area with nice accommodations that will allow you to explore every places listed. You probably have to pick those you are really interested in going.

If you are interested in Canaan Valley area, I highly recommend searching for "Old Timberline", you can get a really nice place on the mountain overlooking the valley with hot tub on the patio and plus you will have access to Dolly Sods hiking from the parking lot at the top of the mountain (Old Timberline is a gated area and you can't access this parking lot unless you stay there)

In Canaan Valley itself, you can easily spend a few days there exploring Blackwater falls, Dolly Sods, Canaan Valley resort and etc. The town of Davis might be a bit sleepy and run down and there aren't many options for dinning though. It's a little slice of heaven for me but some may disagree.

From Canaan Valley, you can probably get to Spruce Knob and Nelson Rock Preserve in about an hour, Greenbank, Berkeley springs in about 2 hour and Lewisburg/Greenbrier in about 3 hours. You can also get to Deep Creek lake in about an hour.

Nelson Rock Preserve is very cool. This is a 4-hour guided Via Ferrata experience. It's much easier than rock climbing but it is not definitely for the faint of heart. See the video here:

Via Ferrata Nelson Rocks, WV - YouTube

If I were you I would probably leave on Friday and spend 3 nights, explore either Greenbank observation, Spruce Knob or Nelson Rock Preserve (you can probably do 2 out of 3 at most) for a day, explore Canaan Valley area for another day and then drop by Deep Creek lake and/or Berkeley springs on the way back to DC on the last day. Save Lewisburg for another trip.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM

36 posts, read 75,005 times
Have you ever been to Gettysburg? Close, picturesque, full of history, fully preserved, plus a somewhat charming old towne with restaurants and hotels. A hidden gem in my view.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Ok,
thanks everyone. You've provided me with so much interesting and valuable information, and i appreciate it!
I've had a bit of change in my plans! I have decided to take the advice of a few others here and book a flight (found a cheap one) to FL!

BUT, i'm not going to let all of this research/your help to go to waste!
I was thinking to do the road trip, but instead of a 2-3 night thing, i'd do a one night 2 day trip!

What do you all think?

Can i leave on a saturday (8 or so in the morning) and return on Sunday around 7 or 8 at night, and get to see the following places?

Reston, VA
Berkeley Springs, WV
Canaan Valley and Davis---230 Main Lodge Rd. Davis, WV 26260
Spruce Knob, WV
Canaan Valley and Davis---Circleville, WV 26804
Green Bank, WV 24944
Reston, VA

We could drive 3 hours to Berkely springs, spend a few hours there, then drive an hour to Canaan valley, CAMP THERE, then on sunday, hit the rest of the places and return around 3 or 4 pm to be here by 7 or 8pm.

Does that seem logical?
Are there camp grounds in canaan valley?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM

Any thoughts on my latest ^ revised plan? :-)

Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM

198 posts, read 358,246 times
Quote:
I have decided to take the advice of a few others here and book a flight (found a cheap one) to FL!
Glad you found one that worked for you Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia