U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,741 times

Advertisements

Hello! My daughter is advanced/gifted & I'm looking for a school for her for next year, when she's going into 1st grade (& I'll buy a house where appropriate). I can't decide which is the best: Arlington Science & Technology, Falls Church City, or one of the closer in Faifax elem schools that have a talented & gifted program. I'm going to schedule appts to visit the gifted/talented contact w/in each school district, but I expect each will say that their program is the best. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sort this out? Thanks for whatever information you share!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM

303 posts, read 852,984 times
Welcome! We moved here a few years ago so I did some of this same searching. My daughter is in a FCPS GT center and although it is not perfect, we have been very, very happy with it. Its strengths include an advanced curriculum, fabulous group of peers, access to lots of advanced optional programs (like Science Olympiad, band, strings, Math Olympiad, etc.), and a general culture of valuing academic achievement. The main downside is large class sizes. However, FCPS's GT program doesn't start until third grade. Do look at their web site to see the application procedure and make sure you have all the documents in hand, but you have some time before you can even apply (the fall of second grade is when you should start).

Lots of people rave about Falls Church City's school system, and I like many aspects of the smaller district and smaller classes. However (perhaps as a consequence of its being a small district), there is not a full-time GT program. When I phoned the school before moving here, I was told that GT was handled via differentiation in the classroom and (I think) some pull-out enrichment as well. I don't think either is adequate for gifted education (for both academic and social reasons), so we did not consider this school district. It might be worth a call to see if their program has changed.

I don't know anything the Arlington school, as we could not consider that area due to commute, which gets me to my next point: don't make your daughter's school your only criterion in choosing where to live. The traffic around here demands that you consider your work location and potential commute as well. There are lots of great schools around, so you (probably) won't have to choose between good school and reasonable commute.

You might also want to consider one of the private gifted schools. These could be helpful if you want to pay less for a house by living further out, as the savings can help pay tuition. Or some people use these schools while waiting for FCPS GT to start in third grade. The two schools I know about are Nysmith (in Herndon or thereabouts) and Edlin School (in Reston, just off the Hunter Mill toll road exit). I've visited both and they both have strengths, though I decided they weren't a good match for my kids.

Finally, Fairfax County Association for the Gifted has a very helpful listserv, if you wind up in this part of the area.

Good luck with your choice! I'll be interested to hear what you learn.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 29,151,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annap Mom View Post
Hello! My daughter is advanced/gifted & I'm looking for a school for her for next year, when she's going into 1st grade (& I'll buy a house where appropriate). I can't decide which is the best: Arlington Science & Technology, Falls Church City, or one of the closer in Faifax elem schools that have a talented & gifted program. I'm going to schedule appts to visit the gifted/talented contact w/in each school district, but I expect each will say that their program is the best. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sort this out? Thanks for whatever information you share!!
I don't believe they start kids in the Fairfax County GT program until the 3rd grade so you can probably rule them out if you want her in a special class in first grade. Isn't the Arlington program called Arlington Focus Schools?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 13,954,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't believe they start kids in the Fairfax County GT program until the 3rd grade
This is correct, if the child qualifies.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,509,747 times
You might want to check out these pages:
FCAG - Home
FCAG : Fairfax County Assoc. for the Gifted

Those parents know everything about GT programs and GT schools.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 AM

11,884 posts, read 13,834,205 times
My coworker has two kids in Fairfax GT and has been very impressed with it. His elementary school is Willow Springs--I believe that is in Centreville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia