U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,816,747 times

Advertisements

That is why I love the machines with individual TV's. It is quite ambitious of the person doing that, but I can't be the only one that cares less about politics when I am working out. Now if a candidate would figure out a way for me to get twice the results in half the time, I don't care what party they are running under. They will have my vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,858,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
It is quite ambitious of the person doing that, but I can't be the only one that cares less about politics when I am working out.
LOL that's somewhat the way I see it. It has to take a lot of effort to sneak in every day to do this, and what does it accomplish? If anything, it's backfiring because people find it annoying.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,086,857 times
I'm glad I go to a gym where I have my own individual TV on whichever elliptical I am using. I personally channel surf, a bit of CNN here, a bit of Fox News there. Guy next to me may keep it on CNN, other side keeps it on Fox. Whatever. It's all good.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM

2,673 posts, read 4,526,496 times
Didn't his parents ever teach him that he shouldn't bring up politics or religion in mixed company? His behavior is totally inappropriate. Everyone knows you should be watching HGTV.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,404,181 times
I can totally relate. At our vet's, I always get annoyed when the TV in the lobby is tuned to something other than Animal Planet (in the interest of relevance/appropriateness and that sort of thing). (We're usually alone in the waiting room, so there's nobody to get annoyed if I switch it to AP.) I'm also the type of person who finds myself placing fallen merchandise (whose 'fallen' status is not my fault) back on shelves, rearranging items on shelves, etc. Then I remember I'm not getting paid.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,795,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
I even saw a no politics rule at a laundromat in Charleston, SC.
Maybe they wanted to make sure no politicians would go there to find dirty laundry?

So remember, a laundromat is no place for a politician to come clean.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 PM

7,967 posts, read 18,056,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe they wanted to make sure no politicians would go there to find dirty laundry?

So remember, a laundromat is no place for a politician to come clean.
Oy vey...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 PM

173 posts, read 501,072 times
Not to start something here, but why would it be ok to have CNN on but not Fox News (assuming that that's what was on)? IMHO, the real issue is who decides who has control of the remote, and how is it decided when to change channels and what channel to change to. Is it put up to a vote? Can anyone grab the remote and change to what they want?

You'll never find a channel that everyone will agree to. Personally, I'd only last 5 minutes on the treadmill if I had to watch Judge Judy. That's why I like the personal TVs (or bring headphones and an iPod).

As to the magazines, I don't see the issue. You don't have to read whatever's there...

Old 08-17-2011, 05:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,858,034 times
I'm not on the HOA committee, but what I hear through the grapevine is that if they decide to ban political programs, that would include all news, including local news.

The remote currently sits on a windowsill where anyone can change the tv. IMO they could also solve the problem by leaving the tv on something like a sports network and putting the remote out of reach. Or they could just turn the tv off, although I hope it doesn't come to that because it makes I find it much easier to work out with it. Sports is kind of boring, but it does seem appropriate for a gym. This is an HOA gym, so we don't have the luxury of individual tvs.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:23 AM

2,187 posts, read 6,816,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm not on the HOA committee, but what I hear through the grapevine is that if they decide to ban political programs, that would include all news, including local news.

The remote currently sits on a windowsill where anyone can change the tv. IMO they could also solve the problem by leaving the tv on something like a sports network and putting the remote out of reach. Or they could just turn the tv off, although I hope it doesn't come to that because it makes I find it much easier to work out with it. Sports is kind of boring, but it does seem appropriate for a gym. This is an HOA gym, so we don't have the luxury of individual tvs.
Why not just get rid of the TV? I think that this type of issue can create more problems than it is worth. You stop political channels on the TV, could that carry over into a dispute over political signs in your yard, what kind of flag you have in front of your house, etc. (granted I don't know anything about your HOA and what the current regulations are) I wouldn't like the political stuff either, but getting into the censorship realm is probably not something any HOA wants to involve themselves in. It opens a huge can of worms because the HOA could decide that only Soap Operas are allowed (just giving an example - not something I would work out to) but then that could offend someone who believes that it is not wholesome family entertainment. I would think just getting rid of the TV would be a better solution. After all, what percentage of people have a smart phone now that they can watch things on or listen to while working out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or