Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,432,896 times

Advertisements

In addition to the many good reasons to follow leash laws already described here, I would like to ask the following. How can one claim to love his or her dog but put the dog in danger of getting kicked, or worse, by not keeping the dog leashed? I feel so sorry for those pets who get injured simply because their owners didn't do what they should have.

As a rescue volunteer, I (and many others) spend a lot of time undoing damage done, not just by cruel or neglectful people, but also by people who just don't think things through.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:20 AM

12 posts, read 18,941 times
There was a story in the news yesterday about poison sausages being scattered around Arlington and dogs finding them .
I would keep a dog on a short leash and watch him/her carefully while out walking. You may want to google this story and
make copies and give it to these people who are walking unleashed dogs.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 AM

504 posts, read 1,207,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
In addition to the many good reasons to follow leash laws already described here, I would like to ask the following. How can one claim to love his or her dog but put the dog in danger of getting kicked, or worse, by not keeping the dog leashed? I feel so sorry for those pets who get injured simply because their owners didn't do what they should have..
Exactly. Every time I see an unleashed dog running toward me (or worse, my kids), the only thing running through my mind was timing my kick (if I don't have anything else in hands) to disable/fence off the dog.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,677,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Exactly. Every time I see an unleashed dog running toward me (or worse, my kids), the only thing running through my mind was timing my kick (if I don't have anything else in hands) to disable/fence off the dog.
Or running toward me and my dog!

To be fair, almost as bad are kids who come running up when they see a dog being walked. (It's gotten to the point where I actively avoid all children when walking our new [still old] dog, who doesn't like strangers.) Why aren't some (most?) parents teaching kids not to do that? With our old dog (who, thank god, was sweet to everyone), even the kids who asked if they could pet the dog would immediately reach over the dog's head. The same parents who don't teach their kids how to approach a dog I'm sure are the same ones who insist on walking their kids a block to/from the bus stop.

I should make a "How to pet a strange dog" cartoon handout to give kids and parents.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM

170 posts, read 197,942 times
Mmmhmmmomm has the same boring reasons and flippancy towards it that every other jerk that lets their dogs off the leash does. Just somebody that's never been told they're wrong and can't even imagine it

Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 AM

790 posts, read 1,874,391 times
Interesting story about a dog -- being walked illegally OFF LEASH -- who falls through the ice on the C&O Canal. The owner goes in after him, only to start drowning. A stranger goes in and saves them both. I'm glad the stranger helped. But, dang, this off leash dog endangered the lives of two people. I feel sorry for the dog. His owner is really dumb.

A jogger saved Mike Wise

Old 01-26-2015, 04:53 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,965,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Or running toward me and my dog!

To be fair, almost as bad are kids who come running up when they see a dog being walked. (It's gotten to the point where I actively avoid all children when walking our new [still old] dog, who doesn't like strangers.) Why aren't some (most?) parents teaching kids not to do that? With our old dog (who, thank god, was sweet to everyone), even the kids who asked if they could pet the dog would immediately reach over the dog's head. The same parents who don't teach their kids how to approach a dog I'm sure are the same ones who insist on walking their kids a block to/from the bus stop.

I should make a "How to pet a strange dog" cartoon handout to give kids and parents.
Some kids need to be on a leash. LOL

Old 01-30-2015, 11:41 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,057,390 times
Once upon a time when I was growing up in NJ, we never went for a walk without a big stick or metal pipe. Packs of dogs used to run wild in the woods and there was always the "strange dog" meandering about unleashed on the street.

Don't trust the animal and had to be ready for anything that happened, especially if we had younger brothers and sisters with us.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 PM

31 posts, read 29,997 times
Default Use Pet Corrector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I recommend bear spray,,,hey it works.
Though probably very effective, bear spray may be a bit overkill. However, you could get Pet Corrector, which is a small can of compressed air that is useful in correcting various types of bad behavior. I used it on my dog to stop her from barking wildly when visitors came to our door. It's simply compressed air, and if necessary you can shoot it at the dog's side (not face). It's just a stream of air, so it won't harm the dog. But the feel of the air and the hissing sound scares the beejeebies out of him or her.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 PM

948 posts, read 3,346,393 times
Default Don't be "that nut job"

Please don't be that crazy lady or as we all call her, "nut job," in the neighborhood that goes chasing down dog owners giving their dog a quick romp. We've got one whacko in our neighborhood that films people and yells at them saying she's calling police and will follow them home!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia