Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 AM

267 posts, read 510,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm different - but whoever hit it obviously didn't care if it was still alive or not...they didn't even check. It would kill me to hit something and not know if it was lying there suffering.
Just out of curiosity, what would you do it if it was still alive? Load it into your car and take it to the vet? Its a wild animal.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,696,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
Is this an actual real world scenario? didnt think so.
That was an exaggeration, I'm sure--but the point is valid. When I'm walking my dog on a leash, and I suddenly I see a dog off leash, I have to quickly size up the unleashed dog to see if he's aggressive. I shouldn't have to do that. My dog shouldn't have to see this other dog and do the same thing.

Then I have to decide what to say to the owner. (I'm much more warm-fuzzy when it's an old lady, but I still say something--e.g., "Aren't you worried he'll get hit by a car?")

LuckyStar said these people want to conveniently not notice their dog taking a crap; I agree with you. If your dog is 15 feet ahead or behind you, you can easily feign ignorance about anything left behind.

(And if I ever see someone doing that and they refuse to pick it up, then I'm following them to their house and then returning with the leavings.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-17-2011 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 AM

648 posts, read 1,330,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would you do it if it was still alive? Load it into your car and take it to the vet? Its a wild animal.
Absolutely. In my book, just because it's wild, doesn't mean it deserves to die like that.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,788,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Absolutely. In my book, just because it's wild, doesn't mean it deserves to die like that.
I understand your empathy for a hurt animal--especially a young animal like the fawn. But trying to capture a wild animal and take it to a vet might not be the best thing. If the mother deer was nearby and saw you trying to help her fawn, you could very easily be attacked or you could further injure an animal trying to escape from you. They don't know you are trying to help them. And even if you did manage to get the animal to a vet, they might not treat it. It's best to call animal control or a game warden if you see an injured wild animal (and stay away from it).

Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I understand your empathy for a hurt animal--especially a young animal like the fawn. But trying to capture a wild animal and take it to a vet might not be the best thing. If the mother deer was nearby and saw you trying to help her fawn, you could very easily be attacked or you could further injure an animal trying to escape from you. They don't know you are trying to help them. And even if you did manage to get the animal to a vet, they might not treat it. It's best to call animal control or a game warden if you see an injured wild animal (and stay away from it).
The main question: Why was this deer not on a leash?

(Just kidding.)

Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 AM

648 posts, read 1,330,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Sorry! When the other person mentioned vet, in my mind I was thinking game warden. I wouldn't take a deer to the vet - only as a last resort if no one else could come.

My point is, I would never leave it not knowing whether it was dead or not.

Off topic - carry on!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,696,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
"He was always such a nice dog, would never harm a baby" said the owner of the dog shot dead by the Police after it killed the old lady.
This has sort of happened in my neighborhood, not with the old lady, but with other dogs. Person on my street has/had a Pit, aggressive b*stard too, tore up a couple dogs. County gave owner the normal warnings, but the last one couldn't be proved (no one else saw it, he said-she said). I've seen it running around. My neighbor and I told the owner of the dog that was attacked to let us know if it comes after her again - if the county won't take care of it, we would, especially if we catch it in the act. I'm all for training your dog, but letting an aggressive one run around isn't going to fly either.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:46 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,865,245 times
Quote:
My point is, I would never leave it not knowing whether it was dead or not.
BIG assumption you are making that the people who hit it did not get out and check to see if was alive.

It's nature, I love deer but deer get hit ALL the time. yes, you should check and see if it needs to be put out of it's misery and remove it from the road. Animal control should be caled to pick it up.
You are angry because someone left a carcus of a wild animal on the side of the road???
What if it's a skunk? a snake? a squrill? Will you offer them the same treatment (load in your car and take it somewhere for proper care? burial?) Seriously! yes, it's sad, fawns follw thier mothers ALL the time across the road in front of cars. I guess you would rather have the person swurve into on comming traffic and have an accident rather than hit the deer?

Yes, we have hit a deer before. and my husband has had to slit it's throat and drag it out of traffic way. (call me horrible? fine) We have also had a fawn run smack into the side of the car and break it's neck. We had 3 small kids in the car in the mountians. Nothing we could do to avoid it, natural selection happens.

Get a grip, and I really hope I am not on the same raod as you when a deer jumps infront of your car and you swurve and run head on into oncomming traffic.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Enough about the Merchant of Venison! Back to my leashless dogs!

Option 1: Say nothing. Stew in anger and frustation as scofflaws and their wayward pooches continue to befoul the pathways and lawns of my neighborhood.

Option 2: Pipe up every time. Make a big stink out of it. Risk a physical confrontation and possible job implications.

Option 3: Pack taser on dog walks. Tase the humans with unleashed dogs. Give the dogs pieces of steak as compensation for the undeserved stress.

Seriously--any more suggestions?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,923,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Seriously--any more suggestions?
Education? Is there any neighborhood newsletter, park bulletin board, place for a sign, etc that you could remind people of the law?

I know N. Springfield has a little quarterly newsletter that goes out, and once someone wrote a few paragraphs on why it was unsafe and irresponsible to walk your dogs off leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia