Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM

172 posts, read 329,422 times

Advertisements

Wow, it is been a while since the original thread was created back in 2011!

Carlingtonian, I am still fully supporting your opinion on this topic and I fully support the law! Unfortunately, I have not seen much improvements, i.e. dog owners sometimes still walk their dogs without a leash… So when I see it, I still have to do my routine to keep myself safe, i.e. keep the distance, change my walk route, hide behind my husband (when we walk together)… which still causes angry looks or remarks, but I am not the one who breaks the law and does not care about public places/people.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM

59 posts, read 168,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen103 View Post
Oh my gosh!! The reason that dogs are off-leash is because owners know that their dogs won't harm anyone or any animal! Don't be stupid. Plus, owners with leashes also don't pick up their dog's poo either! Why do you even care?? Just mind your own business. Don't be one of THOSE people.
My Neighbor's unleashed dogs came aggressively at my kids once. With my kid hiding behind me, I was about 2 sec away from bashing that large dog's skull with whatever I had on my hand before the own called to the dog. I angrily confronted the owner and you know what owner said? he told me his dog is a gentle soul who would never hurt a thing. Uh huh. Sure, whatever. I will defend my children and if it means bashing skull of a dog that "Wouldn't hurt a soul", so be it. By the way, dog was HUGE! and prob outweighed my child by good 20 lb. Don't freakin tell me it wouldn't hurt a soul!!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:44 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyj1976 View Post
My Neighbor's unleashed dogs came aggressively at my kids once. With my kid hiding behind me, I was about 2 sec away from bashing that large dog's skull with whatever I had on my hand before the own called to the dog. I angrily confronted the owner and you know what owner said? he told me his dog is a gentle soul who would never hurt a thing. Uh huh. Sure, whatever. I will defend my children and if it means bashing skull of a dog that "Wouldn't hurt a soul", so be it. By the way, dog was HUGE! and prob outweighed my child by good 20 lb. Don't freakin tell me it wouldn't hurt a soul!!!!!
It's very possible that the dog wasn't actually being aggressive and very possible that the dog would never hurt a soul. But you and your children were scared because the dog was not under control, and this is not acceptable.

I was walking my dogs once, and one of them happened to be in heat. Up ahead I saw an unleashed dog in a yard. I yelled ahead to the owner (who was standing right there) to please restrain the dog. He answered with some sort of "my dog is perfectly trained and wouldn't leave the yard". Even though I had stopped, his dog had now picked up on the smell and was walking toward us. I yelled again to please restrain the dog, as mine was in heat. At this point the dog started to run over to us. Thankfully, my husband was able to intercept. The dog wasn't aggressive, but was intent on a little lovin'. A b**ch in heat is no match for a well trained dog.

LEASH YOUR DOGS AT ALL TIMES THEY ARE NOT IN YOUR HOUSE OR FENCED YARD. PERIOD.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 5,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I realize most of this thread is a couple of years old, but it's an interesting read. Carlingtonian - I hope you've been able to find some peace/resolution to the situation in Arlington County - sounds frustrating.

As an owner of 2 dogs, I never let them off their leashes. Even the best trained dog will do unexpected things on occasion. I'm somewhat nervous just letting people pet my dogs, especially children. While neither of my dogs have ever shown aggression towards other people, you simply never know when a dog will suddenly be scared of someone and react out of the ordinary (or when another human will do something your dog simply isn't familiar with and react fearfully).

I will say that on the portion of the Cross County Trail I frequent in Fairfax County, I do encounter people walking with dogs off leash on occasion. The portion of the trail is not heavily trafficked and so I think some of the owners are lulled into a sense of thinking it will be ok. Usually, as they see me coming they will try to quickly get their dogs on their leash, which at least tells me they sort of know they're not following the rules. I have yet to have any sort of bad encounter, and I never say anything to anyone - I usually just smile and say hello. In that particulalr context where the trail really is not frequented by a lot of people, I'm a little more forgiving. But, if another dog came running and showed any signs of aggression, I would certainly be very angry.
I frequently walk on the Fairfax County Parkway with my dogs off their leash. There's a little stream they like to go swim in and there's usually no one else around. If my dogs run out of the stream towards someone coming around the corner, I try to quickly get them back on their leash, but otherwise it hasn't been an issue.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:39 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmhmmmomm View Post
but otherwise it hasn't been an issue.
nothing is ever an "issue" until the first incident happens.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Quote:
I frequently walk on the Fairfax County Parkway with my dogs off their leash. There's a little stream they like to go swim in and there's usually no one else around. If my dogs run out of the stream towards someone coming around the corner, I try to quickly get them back on their leash, but otherwise it hasn't been an issue.
I assume you mean the Cross County Trail or some other trail. I certainly hope you're not walking with dogs off leash on the Fairfax County Parkway or anywhere near such a busy road. I understand where you're coming from, but just remember that all it takes is one unexpected incident where one or both of your dogs spot something that rubs them the wrong way and you could have a very messy situation on your hands. It may never happen, but if it does, you may quickly find yourself regretting ever thinking that it was ok to let them off leash. Even the best behaved, best trained dog can do things that are unexpected and that they have never done before.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 5,657 times
Sorry, yes! I meant the Cross County Trail. LOL!! I definitely hear what you're saying, but it's worth the risk to me. I have two big (but gentle) very active dogs, and there's no way they can get the activity they need if I keep them on their leashes. Letting them off leash allows them to go romp in the steam, which they love. My dogs can be a little jumpy, so I try to quickly corral them if I see someone coming, but they would never hurt a soul. Worst case scenario, someone just gets a little mud on their clothes. LOL ; )

Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Sorry, yes! I meant the Cross County Trail. LOL!! I definitely hear what you're saying, but it's worth the risk to me. I have two big (but gentle) very active dogs, and there's no way they can get the activity they need if I keep them on their leashes. Letting them off leash allows them to go romp in the steam, which they love. My dogs can be a little jumpy, so I try to quickly corral them if I see someone coming, but they would never hurt a soul. Worst case scenario, someone just gets a little mud on their clothes. LOL ; )
Okay, so my dog is 14 years old now and barely a threat to anyone, BUT, she used to be only in that she really, really dislikes other dogs. If a dog comes up to her and even begins to sniff her out, she lets off a warning growl, but then will bite. As long as everyone is on leash, there is never an issue.

Sometimes when we were out walking, another person walking their dog (on leash) would approach us to "play" but I would let them know that my dog really disliked it and they would move along.

But, it never failed that someone, on just about everyone walk, would have their dog off leash. Oh, they thought they had them under control, but they never, ever did. I even had a standard poodle jump through her invisible fence just to come greet my dog and the owners were baffled.

I've got a huge German Shepherd around the corner, sweet as can be, that's never on leash whose owner insists he won't come off the curb and he does though, every single time.

So, your unleashed dog approaches mine. At that point I'm usually shouting at the owner to come get their dog while my dog begins to prepare to bite as the "under control dog" won't back off AT ALL.

I'm sorry but this really bugs me. It's not right and somehow my dog is probably going get in trouble for it because people just cannot bother to follow the rules.

Your dogs may be very friendly and never hurt a fly, but the animal they approach (who is on a leash and feeling threatened) may not be.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Wow, so your dogs jump on other people and get mud on them--and that's Ok with you? You don't seem to respect the rights of others (or the law) very much.

And how are other people supposed to know your dogs won't bite them?

You're lucky your dogs haven't been pepper-sprayed yet.

I've ridden bikes with friends on that very trail and have encountered people walking with dogs off-leash. There were times the dogs almost got in the way, because they won't hear a bike approaching, and the owner can't physically reel them in as they could with a leash.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:13 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Quote:
Your arrogance is stunning. Leash your dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia