Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
. "Smart" growth planners have been trying to get people to live in congested urban/inner suburban communities for a long time, but a substantial number of family buyers still want a SFH with a garage for the cars and a yard for the kids, and they don't want to live near busy streets and noisy commercial areas.
the piece l linked to confirms that smart growth areas may only appeal to a minority. The point is that that minority is a larger part of the population, than smart growth housing is of the housing stock, in most areas. I think thats reflected in housing prices in greater washington recently (I do not know if the many multifamily projects near transit currently in the pipeline will change that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Unfortunately what homebuyers want is often quite different from what they will pay for and what developers can make the most money on. Seems since the 80s developers around here have determined they can only make money on giant brick McMansions for affluent buyers and cheap townhouses for the less affluent or those living closer in. Apparently there's no profit here in 1,500-2,000 sq. ft SFHs.
Maybe no profit for them, but if you own one, you probably won't have trouble selling it. There's still a demand for those homes, and if they're rare it keeps your neighborhood in demand. We discovered that was a happy result of LC deciding all future developments will use the grid system. Homes in my cul de sac neighborhood instantly became more sought after. The cul de sac is now a big selling feature.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We discovered that was a happy result of LC deciding all future developments will use the grid system. .
I havent heard that they did that, thats very interesting. Do you have a link?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Anyone who opposes increased density in their neighborhood is dismissed as a NIMBY. Don't want a condo tower looming over your backyard? Go away, NIMBY! (Interestingly, they were all for NIMBYism when it came to Arlington's opposition to the HOT lanes on 395. And when the widening of I-66 was being discussed.)
LOL LOL this is so true! The one good side effect to the steady diet of hypocrisy you sometimes see in urban planning is that I've become absolutely immune to the word NIMBY.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I havent heard that they did that, thats very interesting. Do you have a link?
Use the forum search engine. We had at least one humongo thread on it about 2 years ago, and probably a few others, too.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
LOL LOL this is so true! The one good side effect to the steady diet of hypocrisy you sometimes see in urban planning is that I've become absolutely immune to the word NIMBY.
actually professional urban planners are all into stakeholder buyin and stuff like that. NIMBY is a word used by advocates in political debates - and it plays on many sides, debating on what is involved (an oil pipeline - or a wind farm - a hirise near a metro station, or a major highway) Sometimes its justified, and sometimes it isnt.

In general we need to balance the needs of folks living near a project, with the larger needs of society. I think how that plays out in a given instance, is complex.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Use the forum search engine. We had at least one humongo thread on it about 2 years ago, and probably a few others, too.

search

threads

loudoun county street grid

result

A thread beginning with a LONG rant by steel city rising.

Is that the one?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
search

threads

loudoun county street grid

result

A thread beginning with a LONG rant by steel city rising.

Is that the one?
LOL I don't recall off hand but the odds are pretty good that it is. If that doesn't work, try searching for cul de sac.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM

oh that

"The state has decided that all new subdivisions must have through streets linking them with neighboring subdivisions, schools and shopping areas. State officials say the new regulations will improve safety and accessibility and save money: No more single entrances and exits onto clogged secondary roads. Quicker responses by emergency vehicles. Lower road maintenance costs for governments"

well for one, thats the commonwealth, not the county

second, and more importantly, its not a mandate for genuinely "griddy" developments like Kentlands - its seems to just require at least some connectivity to the neighboring subdivisions. The whole development cant be one long cul de sac, but you can still have windy roads and cul de sacs and so forth WITHIN a subdivision if you have at least a few (WaPo didnt say how many if I read it right) connections, not just a single feed to the arterial.

And if the subdivision is willing to pay for its own road maintenance, then they can still be one long cul de sac.

I thought you meant that all new developments in LC would be rectilinear grids. Which would be rad, and flabbergasting that LC would go for that. Instead its just a "dont feed all traffic into the arterial" thing - which I support, but its not that radical a change.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
all I know is that the single family homes I have seen in lorton station and south riding area where you are inches away from your neighbors are not at ALL what I want. If THAT is what "smart growth" advocates are pushing for, no thanks.

And I say this as a major supporter of public transportation. I bussed and metroed for years quite happily.

My job is in the burbs and so is my husband's. We're perfectly content with the 2200sf house with a cute fenced yard just steps from all 3 school levels and most of the amenities we need within a mile of us in a community built in the 60s. If I were working downtown, we would have been looking for whatever we could afford with reasonable public transportation options closer into the city.

Thanks for this though - this study might be what I post to our market research blog tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia