Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM

4 posts, read 13,606 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks...

I am down to choosing between two floorplans from NV homes for building annew home:

Remington Place

NVHomes - Avonlea Singles - The Remington Place - Chantilly, VA

Chapel Hill

NVHomes - Avonlea Singles - The Chapel Hill - Chantilly, VA

I am unable to decide between the two. I really like the open plan for Remington, but alsor eally love the larger bedroom sizes and closets for the Chapel hill as well as its kitchen.

What would you choose? Which would be better for resale 5 years down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:07 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times
This is my personal opinion. Both are nice floorplans but....the Chapel Hill home I DON'T LIKE where the laundry room is located. You have to walk completely through the kitchen....it's minor....but, I like the placement of the laundry room in The Remington better. Like I said - minor thing for me but also a real turnoff. Although the coat closet is larger in the Chapel Hill home, I don't like that it is further away from the foyer.

I love the larger pantry in the Remington plus the Butler's pantry.

I actually like the closet situation much better in the Master bedroom in the Remington. I have never been a fan of the closet being inside the bathroom. Albeit convenient....and the bathroom is plenty large enough....I just don't like it and that's my personal preference. Although - I can see where it would be very appealing to someone else.

I also like the linen closet upstairs in the Remington. It is larger - that is definitely a plus. The kids can deal with smaller closets. I just happen to like the practicality of a large linen closet.

So - I guess, overall I like the Remington. Though - I would have no problem with the other model either.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,167 times
I like the Remington because it has that optional 3rd floor bonus room. We have 4 kids, so I would see that as a good thing because we could use it as a bedroom so all kids would have their own room. For families that don't have 4+ kids the spare room up there would also make a nice guest room, nanny suite, or maybe for an older child that just wanted more privacy.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I don't do well with floor plans so I'll just give an opinion.

I fell in love with my house because of its open floor plan. The main floor looked so nice. What I lost with the open plan is space in the upstairs bedrooms. In my house, they are pretty small and it has been a detriment.

My house is also all hardwood. It is VERY noisy with the open floor plan. I would buy another type house if I had the choice, although, aesthetically, and open floor plan is beautiful.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
If I were you, I would get a piece of paper and write down the names of both houses on the top. Write all the things you like about each model. Then make another list and list all the things you don't like about each model. Cross off a "like" for each dislike you have. Go with whichever house you have the most likes.

Resale and all that, I think they are probably pretty even. So go with what you like most since it will be your home. Congrats!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,928 times
I'm out the door so I can't really give a proper opinion. However at first glance both floorplans have waaaay too many stairs. You're going to spend most of your time vacuuming them!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 13,606 times
Thank you for all the responses....
Keep 'em coming

1. The remington has a two storey foyer - Chapel hill does not, so the bedrooms are large

2. We probably wont get the bonus room in the remington - costs ~25 k more and more heating/cooling costs...

3. Chapel hill has a dramatic two storey family room, Remington has a cozier sloped ceiling in the family room.

I know - I know - I have to choose, but I am a terrible chooser - hence the request for opinions....

Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
If heating/cooling costs are a concern, avoid dramatic 2-story great rooms and 2-story foyers. Sometimes a builder will let you cut the 2-story foyer in 2, giving you a bonus area on the second floor and also making a real difference in your heating bill. Also, 2-story rooms can have noise issues.

I like the placement of the stairs a little better in the first plan. Realistically, you spend a lot more time running up and down from a kitchen or a family room, so it's nice to have stairs going right there. Stairs going to a front door never made that much sense to me, but I guess it's tradition. Most people I know don't even use their front doors that much (they go out through the garage) so it's kind of an outdated idea, IMO.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Remington would be my vote. I don't like walking in from the garage and landing on top of the washer and dryer - Remington at least has them off in an alcove while Chapel Hill has them right in your face. Also, be sure that the eat in area of the Remington is enough for you - I think the morning room addition would be well worth the extra.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
Does the builder give you any flexibility in being able to change a house's features? For example, I know people who bought a house where the original plans called for a two story foyer, but they instead had the builder put in a bedroom where the second story part of the foyer would have been. If there's some flexibility, you might be able to pick the floor plan you like best but add some individual features from the other house you like better.

If there is some flexibility, I would prefer the Chapel Hill plan because of its first floor bedroom (gives you a LOT of options, including room for older in-laws to visit) but only if I could replace the set of stairs near the kitchen, and move the laundry room to the second floor where those stairs now are. They may be able to move the closet closer. One other thing I like about the Chapel Hill plan is that you have the flexibility to accommodate a dining room table with several leaves, for a big holiday gathering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia