Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,010 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to South Riding and went the new construction route a few years ago... we're now living here with a young baby in a spacious SFH on a nice wooded lot. We are settled and comfortable... the house is decorated, we have many friends on the street, my husband's commute to Herndon is decent (I stay home), and we are convenient to many family members in NOVA. South Riding also is convenient for us in terms of shopping, doctors, etc.

However, despite all this, we're just not 100% satisfied with the area and have started questioning whether we can stay here long-term. One big issue is the traffic and construction (I know, we moved into new construction ourselves, so how can I complain... right? I still can't get over how much growth is happening outside of South Riding proper, all along Gum Springs and Braddock Rds.) Another issue is the (small) size of our lot and yard; we'd like something bigger, ideally over an acre. Finally, the airplane noise seems to be getting worse... probably just me getting more sensitive to it, but it drives me nuts.

We are seriously considering going west to the Purcellville area, but suffice it to say that doing so would involve major upheaval for us (e.g. selling our house, moving with a baby, etc.), plus my husband's commute would be a little longer (and more dependent on the Greenway/Toll Rd), and we'd be further from family and friends. We're really torn over what to do... would welcome any thoughts/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Ask yourself, will you be asking the same questions 3-4 years from now.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
The noise and limited space sounds like enough to think about a move.

There are plenty of us who made the move out of the congested parts of NoVa and further west (including myself). If you're looking for an acre or so, Purcellville and western Loudoun is great. There have been several threads on this topic already so do a Search and see what others say. Look at it this way: you will be changing your quality of live.

I believe there is a metro stop scheduled to open along the Greenway.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
The noise and limited space sounds like enough to think about a move.

There are plenty of us who made the move out of the congested parts of NoVa and further west (including myself). If you're looking for an acre or so, Purcellville and western Loudoun is great. There have been several threads on this topic already so do a Search and see what others say. Look at it this way: you will be changing your quality of live.

I believe there is a metro stop scheduled to open along the Greenway.
Yes but this is not yet a done deal (should be later this fall one way or another, I believe).

OP, please make sure your hubby is on board with this, and not just going along because you want something.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
I get the congestion part and where we moved to Bristow initially for monetary reasons we decided to stay put even after that reason was removed. I will say that given your child is so young and that you don't work and have a good network in place, I would really examine what you loose and really weigh that against what you would be gaining if you moved further out. No guarantees that you would develop like friendships, distance to conveniences, commute and cost to your husbands drive. Needs will change as your child ages as well. Whenever I see the desire for an acre +, I always wonder why?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Yes but this is not yet a done deal (should be later this fall one way or another, I believe).
Oh, that's right. I think it's 2016.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Get ready to lose 30% of what you paid for you house. I paid $858K and just short-sold for $685K.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,817 times
western Loudoun is pretty completely different than South Riding. I assume you've visited Purcellville? It's a beautiful small town, very tight knot community, however once you move out into the country, you will likely find it harder to meet neighbors, mostly because they are not 5 feet outside your door That said, I would never be able to live in South Riding and I absolutely adore Western Loudoun (Round Hill, Purcellville and Bluemont in particular). If you like the country, want more peace and quiet, than that's the place to find it. It will not likely be as social as the newer developments though... but that all depends on whether you are in a neighborhood or out in the countryside.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 AM

204 posts, read 666,006 times
If it works financially and you are both on board with it, go for it. Moving with a baby is the easy part....no friendships, schools and activities in place yet to disrupt for that little one. As for why would you want an acre, I can see why after living on a 1/4 acre lot for the last decade! Get a bad neighbor and the small just doesn't cut it.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 PM

21 posts, read 77,569 times
Definitely agree that your needs will change after you baby is at school age. You may need piano, ballet, soccer, etc lessons and in my opinion is way more convenient staying in south riding. I too live in the area (little further west) and true, there are constructions everywhere but they should settle in a few years. There are really lots of airplane traffick but I don't really hear them with my windows close.

I don't know the real reason why you want the extra space but I will take convenient over space any day. But that's just me and partially because I hate to take care of the lawn myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia