Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,587 times

Advertisements

My daughter had her wedding and reception here: Meadowlark Botanical Gardens - Main Page

How about a county golf course clubhouse? such as Laurel Hill Golf Club Clubhouse*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Of course the cheapest way to go is to forget the formalities and the family "obligations" and fly to Las Vegas, get married, and have the honeymoon all in one. That's what I'm doing the next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
Banquet Hall Rental Information Springfield VA VFW.

Banquets, Group Events and Private Parties in Washington, DC

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I did that once for friends who had married in the UK (one was British). The potluck reception was at my house when they returned, and the variety of food was amazing -- and delicious.

It was a wonderful idea and worked very well for them, too.

Unfortunately, that won't work for my daughter. We need to find something elegant, traditional, and not outrageously priced...it won't be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Friends of mine just had a "potluck" wedding reception. Best food we've ever had at a wedding! They simply asked for the food instead of wedding gifts. They even used disposable plates and utensils. It worked out amazingly well and saved them a ton of money.
state college, I agree, this is the best way:

"Of course the cheapest way to go is to forget the formalities and the family "obligations" and fly to Las Vegas, get married, and have the honeymoon all in one. That's what I'm doing the next time!"

Maybe I can talk them into that. They're actually there now, visiting his relatives! It would work for me! Whoever wanted to show up could show up, and surely we could get a deal on a reception room, a DJ, a cake, and some food -- in the land of buffet restaurants.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM

87 posts, read 338,027 times
Evergreen Country Club is a little less money than other places, and if you have the wedding on a day other than Saturday, you can save money with a lot of vendors.

Wineries are expensive - I knocked them off my list real quick (5k just to rent your facility? no thanks).

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Caladium -The Reston property is not owned by Verisign and is not available for private events.

The Herndon property is available for weddings (at least it was about 8 years ago), as I have seen one take place in the courtyard area.

My search for a NOVA cost-effective, yet "nice" location led me to the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk. Unfortunately, not NOVA, but a truly beautiful location for a wedding ceremony or reception.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Not a suggestion as such, but after our wedding my father in law asked why we didn't just elope and take a cruise =) I told him if he'd mentioned that BEFORE the wedding, we'd have been gone in a heartbeat. Would have saved some money. All in all though, we had a nice wedding so it wasn't too big a loss. We were able to use her church though so that cut down costs alot. Plus we did lunch instead of dinner and got sandwiches, platters etc from Sams...let us put the money towards other things that we wanted nicer...her dress, our pictures (album cost a fortune, but was fantastic), plus a couple limos and whatnot.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
One friend had her wedding over a 3-day Monday holiday weekend and scheduled the wedding, itself, for late Sunday morning and hired a private officiant. They got a private room at a nice hotel that served a very nice brunch and held the ceremony there and got a deal from the hotel on the brunch since it was the same menu as the main dining room, they just had to make more and add on a few servers. It was easy travel for the guests, too, as they could fly/drive in on Saturday and return home on Monday.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Sorry if this has been mentioned as I didn't read the responses. Have you thought of using a church for both the wedding and reception? You may have to go alcohol free but so what. A decent contribution will be needed but it will be cheaper than any venue I can think of.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 AM

166 posts, read 362,894 times
I highly recommend this venue: Rock Hill Plantation House - The perfect wedding venue in the Stafford and Fredericksburg Virginia area It's in Stafford VA. Outdoor ceremony, indoor reception, they even have an officiant. The fees are listed right on the website so you can see if you can afford it or not.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,676 times
Food instead of gifts?
No-alcohol reception?

I think people can appreciate these suggestions, but I don't think most people would agree to it.
Usually, when young people get married (OP, I'm not sure how old your daughter is) the gifts help them get started in their new homes/lives - which people starting out usually need help with.

Also, I can confidently say that a big part of weddings is...the alcohol. Sure, it's to celebrate a marriage, but after that, it's the alcohol.

Can I get an amen?

Last edited by katyusha25; 08-26-2011 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia