U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM

2,721 posts, read 6,269,534 times

Advertisements

Was it me, or was there a small after shock a few minutes ago? 8:05pm EST? Or was it that bean burrito for lunch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,222,201 times
must have been the beans

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM

4,791 posts, read 4,036,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What I am wondering is, why when something like this happens (and 9/11 was the first I witnessed it) does everyone RACE to their car and hit the roads. I just don't get it. Why would you panic and run in your car to get home? Or get anywhere.
I scrambled out and hit the road for one main reason - to make sure that my daughter, at her daycare about 7 miles from my office, was ok. I've never experienced an earthquake before, and while this one wasn't a record-setter by California standards, it was a major one in these parts, and it was a first for me and many others. I''m on the 9th floor of a building, and when I felt the building sway and shutter today, all I could picture was it collapsing under me. Yes, for a moment I was terrified. There, I said it. The fear that I might be trapped, or worse, should that collapse happen was overwhelming. I locked the secure systems at my desk, grabbed my stuff, pulled my cell from it's locker as I knew I would need it, and ran to my truck to get to my daughter as quickly as possible. Hanging out with co-workers never crossed my mind. Once I had my daughter in the truck, I again tried to call my wife in DC. I eventually got through, assured her that our daughter was safe with me, and told her that we were headed home. There was nothing I could do to help her and asked that she call to give me updates on where she was. Two hours later she was getting off the Metro and ready to fight the jam on 66.

Were I single and going home to only a lonely apartment, a bar near the office might have been a more logical place to seek refuge. Now I have a 5 y.o. whose safety and protection takes priority over everything, including my own life.

Now, having been through this once, I might handle things a little different but getting to my daughter would remain a #1 priority. Maybe it's time to check and update the emergency supplies we keep at home and what I keep stashed in the truck.

Next up.... Hurricane Irene. (But we'll be on a Carribean beach by the time she gets here. )

Old 08-23-2011, 06:53 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,681,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Was it me, or was there a small after shock a few minutes ago? 8:05pm EST? Or was it that bean burrito for lunch?
It wasn't the beans. I felt it, too.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,283,791 times
I didn't feel an aftershock - I knew right away what the quake was though, Macy's Metro Ctr. (DC) - and some there (customers and employees) panicked and went running out. It did take the train over twice as long to get to King St. (and I waited until 6 because it was so jammed earlier).

Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 PM

74 posts, read 201,599 times
Quote:
I felt that one too.Well really I just heard a rattle sound.But I missed the big one this afternoon. I was driving at the time.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM

5,121 posts, read 5,564,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What I am wondering is, why when something like this happens (and 9/11 was the first I witnessed it) does everyone RACE to their car and hit the roads. I just don't get it. Why would you panic and run in your car to get home? Or get anywhere.

My poor friend is sitting at work on a bench because a thousand people at our office decided to "run home" and they clogged up the garage so bad that no one could move.

On 9/11 I was almost run down by people running out of the building, down to the garage, only to sit on 395 for HOURS.
I didn't exactly race home, but I got out of work the second they told me I could leave. My reason is similar to the post before mine, I have a 7-year-old (who was fine, I was able to call easily on a land line). I am a single mom and all I could think about was the nightmare coming home in the snow storms earlier this year (where it took me 8 hours to get home). That time, I didn't leave work as soon as I could and I regretted it. And unlike then, I didn't have a sitter in place today and had to pick her up by a certain time. I wanted to be able to pick her up in time and not get stuck in traffic. Plus, I also have two dogs that I was concerned about (wasn't sure if gas lines broke, they were scared and tearing up the house, etc.)

This time, leaving as soon as I could worked, I was ahead of all the traffic and home by the time most people started leaving. My daughter, dogs, and house were all fine. And I was able to get to the polls in time (although considering traffic, I walked).

Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,692,975 times
Quote:
Yep. I felt it too. I was in the guard shack at the pool. Also felt it in my ears like the pressure you get when riding in the car with one window open. It was reported to be a 4.2 at 8:04 p.m. I believe.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,971,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Who's watching "2012" tonight?
Not me. I am watching "The Rapture Fantasy of Harold Camping - Theatrical Cut"

Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 PM

407 posts, read 728,700 times
What time did the actual event happen? Can't find in all the articles what time it occured. Felt something strange here in western Pa and thought the dog was brushing against me but she was across the room. Can't remember what time it was and never considered a quake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia