Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

We bought a generator after Hurricane Isabel. We were without power for about a dozen hours or so. So our sump pump stopped working and our basement flooded. We now have a battery backup and a generator. My nieghbors on the other side of Vienna were without power for 2 1/2 days during that storm. They ended up sleeping at our house because we went to PA for the weekend.

I filled two pitchers with drinking water and bought two more gallons at the store today, just in case. I also bought some milk, but we were nearly out of that. Other than that, we'll probably find where our flashlights and extra batteries are, make sure we have gas for our generator and wait for Irene to hit. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
The only preparation I would recommend would be cleaning gutters and pruning any limbs that you might think are worrisome. Oh, and get some DVDs from the library or a good book to read.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Opt for the book.

DVDs aren't much good if the power is out.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Opt for the book.

DVDs aren't much good if the power is out.
Or if you don't have very big batteries in your laptop or whatever.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I lost power during hurricane Isabel too... but for 3 days. Luckily a friend invited me over to shower and eat hot food by day 2.

I prepared by doing my weekly grocery shopping tonight (usually I go on Sunday morning). I also didn't buy a lot of perishables. So next week I will be eating a lot of soup, dishes made with beans, cereal bars for breakfast, and fresh fruit and veggies. I also bought some shelf milk for my daughter to drink. I topped off my gas tank and took out some cash for spending money.

I have an emergency kit too (with all the NOAA advised essentials in it). But I don't think I will need that. I also have lots of camping gear (so I am set on battery powered lanterns and such).

Before the storm I will take in my patio furniture and put my garbage can in the garage. Other than that, I will just wait it out. If I lose power, I have tons of books to read, games to play, and naps to take.

Some people I know think I am being silly. But I am originally from a coastal area and have seen my fair share of hurricanes and what they can do. Gloria and Hugo were the worst I remember. I rather be over prepared and people think I am foolish than under-prepared any day of the week.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I lost power during hurricane Isabel too... but for 3 days. Luckily a friend invited me over to shower and eat hot food by day 2.

I prepared by doing my weekly grocery shopping tonight (usually I go on Sunday morning). I also didn't buy a lot of perishables. So next week I will be eating a lot of soup, dishes made with beans, cereal bars for breakfast, and fresh fruit and veggies. I also bought some shelf milk for my daughter to drink. I topped off my gas tank and took out some cash for spending money.

I have an emergency kit too (with all the NOAA advised essentials in it). But I don't think I will need that. I also have lots of camping gear (so I am set on battery powered lanterns and such).

Before the storm I will take in my patio furniture and put my garbage can in the garage. Other than that, I will just wait it out. If I lose power, I have tons of books to read, games to play, and naps to take.

Some people I know think I am being silly. But I am originally from a coastal area and have seen my fair share of hurricanes and what they can do. Gloria and Hugo were the worst I remember. I rather be over prepared and people think I am foolish than under-prepared any day of the week.
You are not being silly at all. The mantra in emergency preparedness (as has been drilled into Californians' heads with regards to earthquakes) is be prepared to be entirely self-sufficient for the first 72 hours after a major disaster strikes, as emergency services will be overwhelmed.

I also lost power for three days after Isabel hit in 2003. Luckily the weather wasn't too hot, since it was mid-September, so not having electricity was more an inconvenience than anything else. But being in August, I'm not so sanguine this time around about how comfortable we'll be if the power goes out for an extended period.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Better the locusts than the lice. Yuck.
. . . or boils.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
My family is up in NJ and they are taking it very seriously. The governor has ordered a mandatory evacuation in Cape May County (southernmost county) and residents are to leave by 1:00pm tomorrow. Even NYC is bracing for Irene --they are expecting a Category 1 or 2.

I think Ocean City, MD also has a mandatory evacuation. Anyone hear anything?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
We took an 80 foot oak thru the livingroom ceiling in Isabel and went without power for 4 days. Isabel stayed a cat 5 for over a day, but not over land. When we finally fell asleep, we woke up to a war zone.

It's a fevered pitch out there........almost like Christmas without the carols. Presents are everywhere......."look what I got you."

Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 PM

335 posts, read 801,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
My family is up in NJ and they are taking it very seriously. The governor has ordered a mandatory evacuation in Cape May County (southernmost county) and residents are to leave by 1:00pm tomorrow. Even NYC is bracing for Irene --they are expecting a Category 1 or 2.

I think Ocean City, MD also has a mandatory evacuation. Anyone hear anything?
Yes, as of 5PM tomorrow Ocean City will be shut down and evacuated. I also heard that the mayor ordered a ban on alcohol sales after midnight as well. Guess that's one way to get folks on the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia