Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

We never lost power - not even a blink. That's because we have a generator. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
What am I suppose to do with all this bottled water, cans of processed spaghetti and junk food....?
Stock up your bunker in preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse...

Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:

What am I suppose to do with all this bottled water, cans of processed spaghetti and junk food....?
Party time!

(But remember.... every good party host knows you get everyone good and drunk before you serve the spaghetti-os.)

Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Not even a power hiccup out here in Leesburg, just rain and some strong winds that cleared up by Sunday noon. I think our brothers in Tidewater got it the worst, though, the storm didn't track over RVA the way Isabel did but rather tracked the coast, causing moderate-sized damage pretty much everywhere between Boston and the Outer Banks.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I didn't lose power, but there were traffic lights out on Saturday, late afternoon/early evening. My daughter had a summer reading class that wasn't canceled (final class), so we were out and about. Some of the roads had high water too, but nothing I couldn't drive around by changing lanes. There was also a tree down on my street, but it didn't do any damage. The worst casualty of the storm (for me) was a good night's sleep. The rain was beating on the side of the house that my daughter's room was on and she insisted on sleeping in my bed. Then, the dogs were scared and jumped on the foot of the bed--so I was all squished and didn't sleep well.

I am eating some of my canned food this week for lunch and dinner. I bought a lot of soup (good for lunch) and cans of beans, tomatoes, etc that I can make "camp-fire chili" out of. I also bought fresh fruit and veggies that I could keep on the counter, so I will just eat those for snacks of add them to the food I cook from cans. I have spaghetti too, but I bought regular stuff, not canned/already made. I have a gas stove, so I knew I would be able to cook if the power went out, I was mainly worried about stuff going bad on me in the fridge/freezer. I am keeping some of the items set aside for my emergency kit though. That way, next time there is something, I won't have to run out.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
I think I'm having Irene news coverage withdrawal

Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM

219 posts, read 472,077 times
Fear not yamota, the next round of looming disaster coverage will be along in 3... 2... 1....

Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
Did anyone save their receipt?

I must have lost all of my receipts in panic.
I am sure that stuff will not expire between now and the next weather disaster projection. Now it is just your Earthquake kit.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Great idea! In the words of Mayor Bloomberg, "The best scenario is take precautions which are not needed"

Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Too late... it's already here (or maybe it's just Monday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia