Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM

21 posts, read 65,179 times

Advertisements

I am purchasing a condo that has 2 deeded parking spots. We are already under contract, but I realized that the 2 deeded parking spots were not on the sales contract under "Personal Property and Fixtures". Everything else was listed as installed or offered, such as ceiling fan, washer/dryer, garage opener, etc. Now I am a bit worried that these 2 deeded parking spots are not included in this list and maybe the seller might sell one or both parking spots before the close date. The only reason we know the 2 parking spots are deeded is because our realtor learned this from the listing agent. The real estate listing states that there are 2 parking spots included. Should I be concerned? And what should I do to make sure I get those spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
It could be that the parking spots are part of the deed along with the condo and it does not need to be itemized on the sales contract.

In your best interest, you should ask your realtor or real estate attorney or even the title company handling the closing how best to handle this. (i.e. someone who knows for certain instead of those of us just guessing, like myself)

Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
Hokie is correct. It is best when they are in the original deed from construction, and not up to the hoa to assign. Just check the MLS and see if people are selling them or check the bulletin board.......
I think your clear--but never assume. Legit question for sure.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 AM

I think the assessor data would answer that question, also.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM

21 posts, read 65,179 times
thanks for the help!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM

check out the oil stains, too.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0ck View Post
I am purchasing a condo that has 2 deeded parking spots. We are already under contract, but I realized that the 2 deeded parking spots were not on the sales contract under "Personal Property and Fixtures". Everything else was listed as installed or offered, such as ceiling fan, washer/dryer, garage opener, etc. Now I am a bit worried that these 2 deeded parking spots are not included in this list and maybe the seller might sell one or both parking spots before the close date. The only reason we know the 2 parking spots are deeded is because our realtor learned this from the listing agent. The real estate listing states that there are 2 parking spots included. Should I be concerned? And what should I do to make sure I get those spots?
The listing is not the sales contract - and the seller cannot sell what he/she does not own.

1. Parking lots are not personal property.
2. Parking lots might be common area - under the control of the condo corporation and not the homeowners
3. Alternatively, there might be lots that are common areas of "limited exclusive use" specifically tied to that condo, you need to check that out.
4. If #2 applies, you might get two parking spaces alright - distributed anywhere in the parking area. Depending upon the nature of the interest in the lots, the condo corporation might not have any authority to assign specific parking lots for your use. Case law in Virginia has held that condo corporations do not have authority to license specific parking lots from the general common area to individual unit owners.
5. Don't take anything for granted. The problem with HOA and condo-burdened property is that the legal entanglement is hard to see.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
If it's anything like the HOA with my townhouse, they're the ones that assign parking spaces...every house has two. And god forbid you park in someone elses spot...we're very protective because theres very little vistor parking - they have to park out on the street. Our HOA has a contract for towing if someone is in your spot and decides they don't want to move their car.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Many condos DO NOT include parking. You have to purchase spaces separately and they do not convey when you sell. These spaces orginally cost the owner $30K + each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia