U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM

13 posts, read 11,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I'll echo the previous suggestions to look at the 236 corridor and perhaps around GMU (where you plan to matriculate after Nova).

In the past I taught at Nova (Annandale campus) and I particularly enjoyed the military/former military students in my classes. Those students really wanted to work and to learn, and they came prepared for class and prepared to participate. In all honesty, I much preferred the work ethic of the students in my Nova classes than I did in my private college classes.

Good luck!
Thank you for your response. Glad to hear that people going to NOVA are taking things seriously and ready to move on to bigger and better things and not just call it quits there.

Quote:
I apologize but I haven't read all the responses so maybe there is a reason for choosing the Annandale campus. Have you considered the Manassas Campus or even the Woordbridge Campus? Both are in Prince William County which is a cheaper place to live. My son used Manassas as his home campus but also took some classes in Woodbridge. Just a thought.
I want to go to the Annandale because it is the biggest and thats where I've done all my research and I will get paid to live there so money isn't that big of a deal. I'll get paid based on the zip code where I will go. So thats about it on the Annandale debate. I'm going there. Even if its a Korean town, or whatever... I dont care. I want to go the main campus.

Thank you.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-29-2011 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: even if the term is being used out-of-context, it's not appropriate for the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 AM

102 posts, read 532,944 times
I spent a semester at community college before transferring to a 4 year university. Definitely a smart choice on your part. Just make sure that you have an idea of where you'd like to get your bachelor's in, and where you'd like to get it from.

I know that it's not quite on topic here, but I would advise you to start your transfer applications to four year universities during your first year at NOVA. Some of the big universities will allow you to receive credit for the training you received while in service. It may not sound like a big deal, but it may save you a class or two.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums View Post
I spent a semester at community college before transferring to a 4 year university. Definitely a smart choice on your part. Just make sure that you have an idea of where you'd like to get your bachelor's in, and where you'd like to get it from.

I know that it's not quite on topic here, but I would advise you to start your transfer applications to four year universities during your first year at NOVA. Some of the big universities will allow you to receive credit for the training you received while in service. It may not sound like a big deal, but it may save you a class or two.
Really good info and funny forum name too man haha.

I know I want to get my degree in Business Management or Marketing which I'm sure could be a minor. I know I want to go to GMU. Out of the entire state of VA they have one of the better programs other than like William and Mary and I heard that place is tough to get in and the academics there are strict and ruthless. I'm not saying I was an easier ride...but...yeah, I've heard nothing but crazy things from some W&M students.

I will definitely notify my counselor immediately upon stepping foot at NVCC that I want to transfer out after my first year (if I can) to GMU and start working on that.

Oddly enough, I filled out my application for NVCC and was classified as an Out-Of-State Tuition student...thats CRAZY! I've lived in VA since I was like 6 years old, I went through all schools in VA, graduated from a high school in VA, enlisted in VA, pay taxes to VA and have it as my home of record on my military contract and currently have rental property in VA, not to mentioned a VA drivers license and voting rights there too.

I guess because I put my current duty station of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba...the system freaked out and thought I wasn't a VA resident? Who knows...I called Student Services and faxed a guy there a BUNCH of stuff including my enlistment contract etc; and he said he'd take care of it but...hmm...that was scary at first.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM

5,121 posts, read 5,540,803 times
When I lived in a neighborhood in Annandale, a few of my neighbors sublet/ rented a level in their townhouses because the basement level was an English basement (walkout) and the houses had a full bathroom downstairs and you could shut a door to close off the whole bottom level. Most of the houses had a small wet bar too (add a small fridge and a microwave you are almost self sufficient--although most people tenants just used the kitchen). I am not sure how you find places like that, maybe Craigslist. It's just an option other than an apartment.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM

173 posts, read 500,962 times
Don't have any recommendations for places to live, but just want to validate your choice of NVCC. I received my first degree from UMd, and went back to school for my nursing license at NVCC when I was in my 40s. I received a MUCH better education at NVCC ... Class sizes were small, teachers actually cared if you showed up, and they were always available for support. And you can't beat the tuition cost!

I do remember also having a problem proving in-state tuition, since my husband is Army. Even though we pay Va state taxes, live here and have a mortgage, I still had to go in with a bunch of paperwork to prove that we are actually residents. When I enrolled at GMU as a masters student, they never even questioned residency. Good luck, and thanks for serving.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
When I lived in a neighborhood in Annandale, a few of my neighbors sublet/ rented a level in their townhouses because the basement level was an English basement (walkout) and the houses had a full bathroom downstairs and you could shut a door to close off the whole bottom level. Most of the houses had a small wet bar too (add a small fridge and a microwave you are almost self sufficient--although most people tenants just used the kitchen). I am not sure how you find places like that, maybe Craigslist. It's just an option other than an apartment.
Yeah I am looking at that option as well, there is actually a few on craigslist (albeit a bit shady sounding), that are fully furnished etc; I will be monitoring that site once it gets closer to Feb, March time frame. I definitely wouldn't mind doing that and the rent is WAY cheaper. Thanks for bringing that up.

Quote:
Don't have any recommendations for places to live, but just want to validate your choice of NVCC. I received my first degree from UMd, and went back to school for my nursing license at NVCC when I was in my 40s. I received a MUCH better education at NVCC ... Class sizes were small, teachers actually cared if you showed up, and they were always available for support. And you can't beat the tuition cost!

I do remember also having a problem proving in-state tuition, since my husband is Army. Even though we pay Va state taxes, live here and have a mortgage, I still had to go in with a bunch of paperwork to prove that we are actually residents. When I enrolled at GMU as a masters student, they never even questioned residency. Good luck, and thanks for serving.
I'm glad to hear another positive story about NVCC! I can't wait to get started...I know you're probably like...dude c'mon...it's just community college. To me, it's much more than that. To be able to afford to go is a big deal starting off. My mom never graduated from high school, she had me in 11th grade and never got her GED. My father graduated and served in the Air Force. Then they got divorced and I didn't really see him that much and then one day I find out he passed away (a bit more to that story, but I won't get in to it here). So anyway...I am like the first college student (even though it's community college) in my immediate family. This is just a stepping stone as I know I'll go farther than just NVCC.

I'll give the guy a few days to make the change in the system then I'll be calling back to make sure he changed it.

Thanks again everyone for providing feedback. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia