Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 13,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxdrivr View Post
Since you don't mind the commuting, you might want to live in between campus and nightlife. I live around Columbia Pike and rt 7. My commute to NVCC during rush hour is about 30-40 mins and 20-30 mins from Arlington/ DC. There are some new apartment complexes in South Arlington but also older complexes. My second choice would probably be either Fairfax or maybe Falls Church by Gallows Rd.
Ok thanks! I appreciate that. I'll definitely look in to that area. How are you liking NVCC? And I did see where Arlington was rated like number 35 in the 50 best cities to live in for nightlife and all that by Maxium Magazine haha...just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,114,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarinexi View Post
Ok thanks! I appreciate that. I'll definitely look in to that area. How are you liking NVCC? And I did see where Arlington was rated like number 35 in the 50 best cities to live in for nightlife and all that by Maxium Magazine haha...just saying.
First, thanks for your service!

The contiguous North Arlington neighborhoods of Court House, (especially)Clarendon, (not so much) Virginia Square and Ballston are known as "Orange Line" Arlington for the nightlife along the Metrorail line they share. It's not so far from Columbia Pike but not exactly walking distance.

I've taken a few classes at NVCC - known ironically as "NOVA" by NOVA locals - and my impression is that you get out of it what you put into it. There are certainly challenging classes there. And since lots of Virginia colleges and universities (including UVA) have acceptance agreements with them, it's a great deal.

FWIW, I say find a place off Route 236 (Little River Turnpike/Main Street) between NOVA and GMU. A short commute is a valuable commodity around here.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
First, thanks for your service!

The contiguous North Arlington neighborhoods of Court House, (especially)Clarendon, (not so much) Virginia Square and Ballston are known as "Orange Line" Arlington for the nightlife along the Metrorail line they share. It's not so far from Columbia Pike but not exactly walking distance.

I've taken a few classes at NVCC - known ironically as "NOVA" by NOVA locals - and my impression is that you get out of it what you put into it. There are certainly challenging classes there. And since lots of Virginia colleges and universities (including UVA) have acceptance agreements with them, it's a great deal.

FWIW, I say find a place off Route 236 (Little River Turnpike/Main Street) between NOVA and GMU. A short commute is a valuable commodity around here.
Yeah I figured for community college or college in general you get what you put in to it. Before joining I wasn't motivated at all about going to school but now I am so I can't wait to get started.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:22 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,198,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
May I ask why you are choosing to go to college in a very expensive residential area with students whom have a slim chance of getting a meaningful degree?

Why are you always so negative? To the OP. Don't listen to this person. past posts in other topics will explain why.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:25 PM

OP. Thank you for what you've done. I hope the Marine Corps was good to you. My son in law is in his 8th year with the Corps and will likely make it a career like his Dad. Good luck with obtaining a degree. My son received an associates at NVCC in Manassas and is now a junior at James Madison.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
OP. Thank you for what you've done. I hope the Marine Corps was good to you. My son in law is in his 8th year with the Corps and will likely make it a career like his Dad. Good luck with obtaining a degree. My son received an associates at NVCC in Manassas and is now a junior at James Madison.
Haha thanks. Yeah I just laughed after seeing that post he made. Oh well...

Yeah I'm wrapping up my 8th year as well, but at this point if I don't go to school I never will and I've done my part I feel. I'm glad your son made it in to JMU and is doing well thats awesome, I'll be there at somepoint.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times
I know many people with advanced degrees, a couple with Masters and one a PhD, who have taken classes at NOVA for enrichment, or continuing education requirements, and there are many motivated students in the system, who are looking to go to GMU, ODU, Mary Washington, UVA, etc. who are starting out at NOVA because there is a guarantee of admission when one completes the requirements for the degree at NOVA and meets the requirements for the program to which they wish to be admitted. Good luck in your educational pursuits.

As for living, I would agree that I would stick with the Route 236 corridor, as it will tend to be slightly less expensive than parts of Arlington, and it's also a bit quieter, though there are a few pubs and restaurants in Downtown Fairfax City. Fairfax Square and Margate Manor are two apartment complexes on 236, with Margate being closer to NOVA, but Fairfax Square is larger with more amenities and closer to Fairfax. You may also find a shared townhouse with a roommate in the area, or a rental condominium in the City of Fairfax that has a lot to offer, though utilities are not going to be included with a condo, and may/may not be with a rental. There are some older garden apartment complexes in the city that might look attractive from a price perspective, but the quality of life may not be the best. Fairfax Circle Apartments is another large complex off Pickett Road at Route 50, which is a short drive from Annandale, and closer to the Metro train.

When my friend was teaching at the community college level, she always had high praises for former military students that she had in her classes because they had the discipline and maturity to succeed in college, whereas some of the other students tended to be going to school with no purpose. Some of the NOVA campuses have specialties, as well, which makes it nice since you can have a base campus in Annandale and take the classes you need at Alexandria, for example, if you need to do so.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I know many people with advanced degrees, a couple with Masters and one a PhD, who have taken classes at NOVA for enrichment, or continuing education requirements, and there are many motivated students in the system, who are looking to go to GMU, ODU, Mary Washington, UVA, etc. who are starting out at NOVA because there is a guarantee of admission when one completes the requirements for the degree at NOVA and meets the requirements for the program to which they wish to be admitted. Good luck in your educational pursuits.

As for living, I would agree that I would stick with the Route 236 corridor, as it will tend to be slightly less expensive than parts of Arlington, and it's also a bit quieter, though there are a few pubs and restaurants in Downtown Fairfax City. Fairfax Square and Margate Manor are two apartment complexes on 236, with Margate being closer to NOVA, but Fairfax Square is larger with more amenities and closer to Fairfax. You may also find a shared townhouse with a roommate in the area, or a rental condominium in the City of Fairfax that has a lot to offer, though utilities are not going to be included with a condo, and may/may not be with a rental. There are some older garden apartment complexes in the city that might look attractive from a price perspective, but the quality of life may not be the best. Fairfax Circle Apartments is another large complex off Pickett Road at Route 50, which is a short drive from Annandale, and closer to the Metro train.

When my friend was teaching at the community college level, she always had high praises for former military students that she had in her classes because they had the discipline and maturity to succeed in college, whereas some of the other students tended to be going to school with no purpose. Some of the NOVA campuses have specialties, as well, which makes it nice since you can have a base campus in Annandale and take the classes you need at Alexandria, for example, if you need to do so.
Thank you for your response. Definitely gives some motivation to hear of good experiences with NVCC.

I looked at google maps as far as apartments go on Little River Turnpike and the only one I saw with decent reviews was The Parliament Apartments. Utilities and everything are included, the rent is on the lower end of what I wanted to spend and from my understanding, it's rightdown the road from the campus (within a mile or so) and on the same road as well so that would definitely help.

As it gets closer to March when I actually move, I'm sure I will see more on craigslist. There are a few on there now that seems interneting, but unfortuantely I can't bite just yet.

And with former military in school, I'd definitely say they are there with a purpose, most have busted their butt to earn the scholarship we get and we have to maintain a certain GPA as well or we lose the benefit so there is a lot riding on us going to school. I'd expect nothing less.

=D

Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,717,601 times
I'll echo the previous suggestions to look at the 236 corridor and perhaps around GMU (where you plan to matriculate after Nova).

In the past I taught at Nova (Annandale campus) and I particularly enjoyed the military/former military students in my classes. Those students really wanted to work and to learn, and they came prepared for class and prepared to participate. In all honesty, I much preferred the work ethic of the students in my Nova classes than I did in my private college classes.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:39 PM

I apologize but I haven't read all the responses so maybe there is a reason for choosing the Annandale campus. Have you considered the Manassas Campus or even the Woordbridge Campus? Both are in Prince William County which is a cheaper place to live. My son used Manassas as his home campus but also took some classes in Woodbridge. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia