Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 13,024 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope the Hurricane didn't destroy anything of yours or hurt anyone for that matter. I will be leaving the military in March 2012 and am currently stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Unfortunately that means I won't be able to visually see any apartments etc; until that time. I have decided to start my education at NVCC and in particular the Annandale Campus (due to it being the largest and with the most resources). I am a single 26 year old male. I am looking for something around the $1100-1400 price range and if utilities were included in that, that'd be great!

I have done a bunch of research and I have read numerous threads you guys have posted for others so I do apologize if this kind of thread seems to pop up every so often but the ones regarding my situation were last updated in 2008 or so. I was hoping to get some current information.

I don't mind a commute in the morning (I'm hoping to not have a first class til after 9am anyway). I just want to live in a nice apartment neighborhood that is safe and people don't really bother each other. I'm not a big party guy and don't smoke or have any pets either.

I am also hoping to get Verizon FiOS internet whereever I live solely for the speed of the internet. Some places you can get that at, some you can't.

I have found Avant Apartments, and saw where someone recommended Eldrania in Alexandria...what are some good apartments (even if it's a bit of a drive from the Annandale NVCC Campus)?

Thank you for your time!

-Andre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Are you willing to have a roommate, or are you looking for a 1 br yourself for that price?

NVCC-Annandale is in a very residential neighborhood with SFH's and townhouses, but not many apartments in the immediate vicinity. If you head out towards Fairfax on 236 or inside the beltway, you'll find quite a few though.

NVCC-Alexandria has many more apartments in the immediate area (walking distance to the campus--just something to think about).

Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Nova's a good school in many ways - good luck to you - be sure to know the difference between an Associate Degree and an Applied Associate Degree, both offered there.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Are you willing to have a roommate, or are you looking for a 1 br yourself for that price?

NVCC-Annandale is in a very residential neighborhood with SFH's and townhouses, but not many apartments in the immediate vicinity. If you head out towards Fairfax on 236 or inside the beltway, you'll find quite a few though.

NVCC-Alexandria has many more apartments in the immediate area (walking distance to the campus--just something to think about).
I am willing to have a roommate if there is no shared bathroom and at least a bit of privacy.

Yeah I noticed Annandale doesnt have a lot to offer in the apartment area however, like I was saying above, I don't mind a commute for a good priced apartment in a safe neighborhood. I guess I was only looking at Annandale-NVCC due to it being the biggest and ensuring all my classes I wanted to take would be available there (even though I am just doing general studies and then transfering to GMU).

Quote:
Nova's a good school in many ways - good luck to you - be sure to know the difference between an Associate Degree and an Applied Associate Degree, both offered there.
Appreciate it! I'll look in to the difference.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
May I ask why you are choosing to go to college in a very expensive residential area with students whom have a slim chance of getting a meaningful degree?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
May I ask why you are choosing to go to college in a very expensive residential area with students whom have a slim chance of getting a meaningful degree?
Lol, well since I have been out of high school for about 8 years I can't just go straight to a University and since my grades were crap back then as well so I have to 'prove' myself...so I am starting out at a community college. I am originally from Virginia (Richmond), so I am just coming back to my home state. I want to go to NVCC due to it being the one of the biggest community colleges in the US, with hopes they have all the resources including the best professors etc; I also plan to transfer to GMU and figured since I was already in the area and making a living (able to survive etc then after the transfer I wouldn't be worrying about the increased cost of living (coming from somewhere else) or finding a place to live etc;

I want to go to the Annandale campus due to the reasons above and in my other posts.

And if you don't mind me asking, can you explain yourself a bit better? Obviously if you may know something that I don't.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM

So I have found the Cavalier Club in Falls Church as a decently reviewed apartment. Have any of you guys heard about this place and have any thoughts/concerns?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Nova is a good school for prep for GMU - go for it. (and, after reading what you've typed, you want to pursue the standard-2-year-college "Associate Degree", not the terminal "Applied Associate Degree" program)

Old 08-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Nova is a good school for prep for GMU - go for it. (and, after reading what you've typed, you want to pursue the standard-2-year-college "Associate Degree", not the terminal "Applied Associate Degree" program)
Thanks a lot Sullyguy.

And to explain a bit further about my situation...so as to not make it seems like I am throwing a dart at a random city and just moving there. I am a virginia resident...have been since I was like 6 years old. My parents live in Richmond. I will be utilizing the Gi Bill to pay for my education. Unfortunately they will only pay the highest in-state tuition rate. So...automatically that narrows it down to Virginia for me going to school. With that...I then looked at all the community colleges and saw that NVCC is voted the best of them all and in fact the biggest. I planned on transfering to GMU for business, so naturally that was another automatic check in the box to go to NVCC. I also like the fact that there are professional sports teams somewhat nearby, and the degree I want to get I'm sure I'd be near several places (and I use that in the smallest meaning possible) that I can be of service to.

So...yeah...there ya go.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM

93 posts, read 334,815 times
Since you don't mind the commuting, you might want to live in between campus and nightlife. I live around Columbia Pike and rt 7. My commute to NVCC during rush hour is about 30-40 mins and 20-30 mins from Arlington/ DC. There are some new apartment complexes in South Arlington but also older complexes. My second choice would probably be either Fairfax or maybe Falls Church by Gallows Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia