Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 PM

17 posts, read 36,865 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if No. Virginia gets lots of power outages? I live in CT and am looking to relocate to NoVa (Reston). We just had our power restored after 50 hours of no power, as a result of Hurricane Irene. Most of NE has above ground utilities and frequently loses power in storms because of the old infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
It really just depends where you live and the age/location of your power source.

I live in a neighborhood that was built in the mid-90s so much of our power is underground. We finally do hook up with above ground power but it's not close to my home. Something bad has to happen on a major source for us to lose power. I'm in Prince William County.

Now I have several friends who live in some of the older neighborhoods in Fairfax. My one friend in Lorton loses power quite often--with any storm. But it's just for a few hours here and there.

My other friend, who lives in Fairfax near George Mason seems to lose power during major storms and Irene was no exception--no power for 9 hours.

But, overall, NoVA doesn't seem to get the power outages that Montgomery County, MD and DC get. Most of their issues have to do with older, exposed power sources as well as very large, old trees that are constantly falling down.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
I agree with ChristineVA. It really depends on where in NoVA you are. In my old neighborhood in Falls Church, we lost power (and had bad power surges) a lot. Old infrastructure, lots of trees, etc. In Brambleton, all the lines are buried and we don't have a lot of mature trees (yet) to cause trouble.

I've also noticed a difference in service level among the area power companies; we had Dominion in Arlington and Falls Church, and now we have NOVEC (Reston is in Dominion territory). Due to the hurricane, NOVEC had 3,950 customers without power (out of 143,500 customers total); Dominion had 173,000 customers without power (out of 825,000 customers in Northern Virginia). NOVEC is a co-op and addition to being owners (and getting cash back every year), we get a free folksy magazine each month with down-home recipes and ads for farm equipment. Oh, and a 99.99% reliability record.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
I agree with everyone, in the neighborhood we live in all of our power lines are underground and we have had very few outages, if anything merely a flicker. We live on the west side of 95 and we lost power during Irene for 3 minutes, however about 2 miles from our house they were still without power on Monday.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
You indicate you are looking to relocate to Reston. Most all utilities in Reston are underground and the infrastructure is only 40-50 years old so we do well keeping electricity flowing. We didn't loose electricity at all with Irene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia