Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,430,862 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some info on the old main terminal that they converted into a museum? I visited DC recently and flew into the new terminal, but did not have enough time between flights to check it out. Is there a website where I can view photos? What about photos of the interior of the older terminals?

I used to visit DC frequently as a child in the 80's and 90's. But my family moved away and I have not returned since 1998 just after the new terminal opened. I just visited again for the first time since then. Flying into DCA brought back distant memories of the old terminal which I saw from the outside. I also remember there was an interim terminal for several years that I flew into in a different building altogether. I am now reminiscing of my childhood days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,270,277 times
The historic terminal is in use, as a renovated Terminal A, housing Gates 1-9. Terminal A does have a gallery that features rotating exhibits along the walkway to the ticketing area from the lobby, as well as displays that relate to the site being the former Abingdon Plantation. There is also a reconstruction of some plantation ruins between the parking garages.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,658,877 times
Walk between Terminals A + B and you will go right past the area being referred to as a "museum". I was in there once, but a few weeks when I was there, it was closed. I'm not sure what the hours are.

By the way, let's stick to it's real name: Washington National Airport.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,270,277 times
I cannot recall the last time I saw the exhibit hall open, either, which houses artifacts from Abingdon. I wonder if it's part of the reservations-only, group tours that the airports authority offers on a limited basis, or it's open limited hours.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM

414 posts, read 904,246 times
I have no idea what airport this is. Never heard of it.

I know of Washington National Airport (DCA), and the information posted here about the old terminal there is correct. Although I'm not sure I would call that a full on museum.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,916,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Walk between Terminals A + B and you will go right past the area being referred to as a "museum". I was in there once, but a few weeks when I was there, it was closed. I'm not sure what the hours are.

By the way, let's stick to it's real name: Washington National Airport.
Isn't the official name Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport? It was renamed in 1998 so I would think most would be used to the extra long name by now.

Regardless, the exhibits haven't been open all the times I have been through the area in the last year. So, maybe it is being refurbished, updated, etc.?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Isn't the official name Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport? It was renamed in 1998 so I would think most would be used to the extra long name by now.

Regardless, the exhibits haven't been open all the times I have been through the area in the last year. So, maybe it is being refurbished, updated, etc.?

It was 're-named' but almost NO PEOPLE here call it that. Most locals such as myself loathe the new name, and refuse to use it. I won't even acknowledge its 'new' name and I have never referred to it by its 'new' name. I call it National Airport, or just simply DCA.

I have no idea if the exhibits are being upgraded or what have you, because I rarely use the old terminal. Almost every single flight I have ever taken into / out of DCA has been to/from the new terminal.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,510,725 times
Can we please have MORE threads to debate the name of the airport?

How about we rename it after Stonewall Jackson?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Can we please have MORE threads to debate the name of the airport?

How about we rename it after Stonewall Jackson?

I know right? Why ARE there so many threads about it? Granted, some of the threads are not really about the name, but they all seem to come back to that at some point. I guess that goes to show you just how much most people despise the current name.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,658,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I'm sorry for taking the thread off track. There's a nice long thread around here somewhere to get all of this cleared up. No need to do it all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia