U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM

446 posts, read 999,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I do not like this idea of reporting (I call it snitching) on your neighbors over a couple of hundred dollars in property tax. You don't really know if that neighbor has a legit reason for not having VA tags.

Okay scenario: My mother moves back to VA with legit registration. I come out to visit with my car from Louisville which has KY plates. A nosy neighbor (like they have nothing better to do) reports me to Fairfax County. And Ffx comes out and tickets me.

That neighbor doesn't know that:

A. I have a job in Louisville and a valid lease in Louisville and my address says Louisville.
B. I have no proof that I RESIDE in VA.
C. I have a valid DOD sticker on my car so I could be active-duty military which is exempt.

This getting into others business is dangerous stuff. People here are acting like their neighbors are dealing drugs and bring gunfire into their neighborhood.

And, for that, I partially blame the State as there seems to be no system in place to catch evaders. Looks like they rely on the police and nosey neighbors. Which is why I think they should do away with this silly tax; shouldn't have it if you can't enforce it. Tax me some other way that doesn't need checks and balances.

But, that wasn't the point of the original OP. He knows what is required but doesn't "feel" like paying it. Well I don't either but I do. It's not a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 AM

493 posts, read 1,007,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I do not like this idea of reporting (I call it snitching) on your neighbors over a couple of hundred dollars in property tax. You don't really know if that neighbor has a legit reason for not having VA tags.

Okay scenario: My mother moves back to VA with legit registration. I come out to visit with my car from Louisville which has KY plates. A nosy neighbor (like they have nothing better to do) reports me to Fairfax County. And Ffx comes out and tickets me.

That neighbor doesn't know that:

A. I have a job in Louisville and a valid lease in Louisville and my address says Louisville.
B. I have no proof that I RESIDE in VA.
C. I have a valid DOD sticker on my car so I could be active-duty military which is exempt.

This getting into others business is dangerous stuff. People here are acting like their neighbors are dealing drugs and bring gunfire into their neighborhood.

What you experienced was simply a lazy Fairfax cop (and I'm sure there are a few in every bunch). Anytime a cop pulls somebody over, doesn't he or she ask for license and registration? Seems the one who got you didn't bother to investigate properly and just wanted another ticket for his or her book by the end of the month.

I'm sorry that happened -- it's bound to leave you bitter about N.Va. Did you challenge it? Did you try to find out who the officer was and file a complaint?

(To the OP: Grow up. Be an adult -- clearly being a homeowner is not the mark of being an adult. You want to leave D.C. because it doesn't have something Virginia has -- like a nice home for yourself -- but you don't want to pay the price of admission? Really, just stay in the "District of Cheats.")

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM

154 posts, read 389,648 times
I think that all of this should have been thought of prior to purchasing a home in Virginia. Since you already made the decision to move you really need to "suck it up" and get the Virginia plates, which unfortunately come along with the property taxes and having to pay to park in DC. If I were you, my conscience wouldn't allow me to do anything else.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM

23,562 posts, read 33,276,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
What you experienced was simply a lazy Fairfax cop (and I'm sure there are a few in every bunch). Anytime a cop pulls somebody over, doesn't he or she ask for license and registration? Seems the one who got you didn't bother to investigate properly and just wanted another ticket for his or her book by the end of the month.

I'm sorry that happened -- it's bound to leave you bitter about N.Va. Did you challenge it? Did you try to find out who the officer was and file a complaint?

(To the OP: Grow up. Be an adult -- clearly being a homeowner is not the mark of being an adult. You want to leave D.C. because it doesn't have something Virginia has -- like a nice home for yourself -- but you don't want to pay the price of admission? Really, just stay in the "District of Cheats.")
I said (quite clearly) SCENARIO!!! Didnt happen. Mom still trying to get back in VA. Besides my bitterness about NoVA was the six years I spent there before moving to KY.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:08 AM

303 posts, read 807,727 times
OP, being dinged for Virginia registration isn't your only concern. Be worried about your insurance, too. Your insurance policy will require you to report the actual home base of the automobile, and if you don't do that, you may not be covered when you make a claim. If you deliberately don't report the change in order to achieve some benefit, some might call that fraud, and pursue it further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia