Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 18,777 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a house in VA and will be moving there within the next few weeks. I understand that once you move to VA you have 30 - 60 days to change your car license/registration to VA but I'm definitely thinking about keeping my DC license for as long as possible (for parking etc).

What are the chances Virginia DMV will find out and go after me? If so, what would be the penalty fees? Kindly appreciated if you can share your personal experience with me as well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
As long as you don't get pulled over by the police in Va you're likely to be ok. But if you are cited then license violations in VA require a mandatory appearance. Except for Not having your OL in possession which can be complied with law ahead if time.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Will you be changing your car insurance? I saw quite a drop in my rates when I moved from DC to VA, and I would wonder if insuring your car in VA but not changing the registration might raise a flag in somebody's system.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 18,777 times
No, i will keep the dc insurance for now. I know the rates might be higher for dc, but it cancels out when you have to pay vehicle property tax in VA and pay almost $300 to park in garages in dc since I work in dc (compare to if i keep the dc license , i have free street parking and no property tax.) I'm just a little concerned about VA DMV going after me because they kept emphasing the fact that you have to change your registration/license within 60 days of moving to VA, but i'm wondering how would they find out?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 AM

462 posts, read 1,210,029 times
Getting tired of reading about people who want to know how to avoid the VA car tax. If all the people who should be paying were paying then maybe people LIKE ME would not have to pay as much because the state/county would be collecting more and the tax rate could possibly be lowered.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aan2010 View Post
No, i will keep the dc insurance for now. I know the rates might be higher for dc, but it cancels out when you have to pay vehicle property tax in VA and pay almost $300 to park in garages in dc since I work in dc (compare to if i keep the dc license , i have free street parking and no property tax.) I'm just a little concerned about VA DMV going after me because they kept emphasing the fact that you have to change your registration/license within 60 days of moving to VA, but i'm wondering how would they find out?
A neighbor might report you.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
^well it depends too on where you are living etc... In Leesburg we had to get a city sticker to park on our neighobrhood streets.
I know neighbors would get steamed about cars parking in front of thier houses etc... that were "airport ride share cars" etc... And the police will mark the car and ticket it if its parked over the "visitor" limit.

Also, you might add additional fines to your registration once you do change over if you have been living in VA longer than the 60 days. (happened to us in CA)

Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Sounds like your getting over on DC what a shame people always trying to take advantage. Just pay for parking or continue to live in D.C. How is this far to the people who actually do reside in D.C. when someone who lives outside the city continues to get their parking perks and uses up their spaces. Also how is this fair to us in VA? Sorry but you should just switch eveything over like the rest of us have to do.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Getting tired of reading about people who want to know how to avoid the VA car tax. If all the people who should be paying were paying then maybe people LIKE ME would not have to pay as much because the state/county would be collecting more and the tax rate could possibly be lowered.
This is what causes higher rates for other people....people trying to cheat the system. You said it!

To the OP - Why move to Virginia if you want the benefits of living in DC? What makes you think that you're better than others living in Virginia as Virginia residents? Why should you be any different?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aan2010 View Post
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a house in VA and will be moving there within the next few weeks. I understand that once you move to VA you have 30 - 60 days to change your car license/registration to VA but I'm definitely thinking about keeping my DC license for as long as possible (for parking etc).

What are the chances Virginia DMV will find out and go after me? If so, what would be the penalty fees? Kindly appreciated if you can share your personal experience with me as well.

Thank you!
I won't address the remarks of the "holier than thou" crowd. If your house has a garage, I'd recommend parking it in there, so your exposure is limited. I know with Alexandria City if you like in a condo private parking lot or a driveway they won't do much. If you are parked out in the street, diff story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia