Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM

254 posts, read 790,222 times

Advertisements

Look at Wakeland Manor subdivision in Stephens City.SFH's ,1/3 of an acre. Easy access to freeway. Good school district. Lake Holiday is a bit far in my opinion.

Last edited by nixau27; 09-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
If you want coffee shops, organic markets, etc., Leesburg (and to a lesser extent Winchester) may be a better bet for you, . . .
Living in Leesburg and commuting to Front Royal would be murder, esp with the traffic around Leesburg and when bad weather hits.

Winchester is the better option of the two. Coffee shops, stores, boutiques, etc (although they could use a Wegmens IMO). It is within 30 minutes to FR and it is also larger than Leesburg.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
There's tons of rural/mostly residential subdivisions around Front Royal and Winchester. I don't know the division between primary/vacation homes by each subdivision, though.

Woodstock would be a 30 minute drive just to Front Royal, I wouldn't do that if any future job prospects were to be closer in than Front Royal. I moved to Leesburg knowing I could find a number of jobs in Dulles-land and even Tysons (I work in IT). If I worked downtown and knew I was going to be bouncing around from three-letter agency to three-letter agency, I'd have stayed in Vienna.

Now if you're liable to move out of the area entirely then Woodstock might be an option.

Now to slightly quibble with South Jersey Styx, Leesburg proper (within town limits) is 42,616 people, Winchester is 26,203 people. OTOH, Winchester does have more development in Frederick County right outside the city limits, whereas Leesburg has Lansdowne, then a barrier between Leesburg/Lansdowne and further development in Ashburn and Sterling.

I will concede that unless there's something OP absolutely loves about Leesburg, Winchester would be a better bet for OP (is there an organic food store comparable to Healthy by Nature or For Goodness Sake in Winchester?) Both historic Leesburg and historic Winchester ensure that no java is left behind.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
I still believe the OP should look at the Gainesville area. It's an easy commute to Front Royal and still keeps them in the NOVA area which may be important to her. "coffee shops, organic markets, etc" Although Gainesville is newly grown up and modern it is still close to Fairfax, Dulles and many other NOVA amenities. I love the Winchester area and would move there in a heartbeat if my contractor job would become full time but I doubt this is close enough to everything for the OP. Gainesville has many new subdivisions, restaurants etc and like I said, close to everything else in NOVA.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
Also commuting to DC from FR... if there is a town any closer with reasonably priced homes one would choose to live in, I'd love to know! I would love organic markets, coffee shops, etc... looking at houses in town - maybe I should open said market/shop? Anyhow, what's the word on crime in town??? Safe? Creepy? I noticed they're not much for curb appeal... is that going up or on the decline? Any info would be helpful!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
What is your budget for housing? Gainesville sounds workable and would be better than Front Royal as far as commute. I've heard Hamilton has some places that aren't expensive. There are neighborhoods in Leesburg that are less expensive than others. All those are going to have a loooong commute to DC, though. I'd consider moving south (Stafford area) and taking VRE to DC.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 AM

53 posts, read 99,481 times
The only organic market I know of in Gainesville is Edens Natural Market way out on Lee Hwy, not walkable to anything (yet). Next closest would be the Healthway store in the Bull Run Plaza, which is a hike even to Gainesville. Then there's Whole Foods down 66 in Fair Lakes. If I'm overlooking something, someone please correct me.

I'm not familiar with the organic markets in and around Winchester at all.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmorrison View Post
Also commuting to DC from FR... if there is a town any closer with reasonably priced homes one would choose to live in, I'd love to know! I would love organic markets, coffee shops, etc... looking at houses in town - maybe I should open said market/shop? Anyhow, what's the word on crime in town??? Safe? Creepy? I noticed they're not much for curb appeal... is that going up or on the decline? Any info would be helpful!
Why not Leesburg? You can get a TH in downtown for the 300s and a 70s vintage, 4BR/2BA, 2500+ square feet SFH within a 1/2 mile of Market/King in downtown for the low 400s.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Run Paradise View Post
The only organic market I know of in Gainesville is Edens Natural Market way out on Lee Hwy, not walkable to anything (yet). Next closest would be the Healthway store in the Bull Run Plaza, which is a hike even to Gainesville. Then there's Whole Foods down 66 in Fair Lakes. If I'm overlooking something, someone please correct me.

I'm not familiar with the organic markets in and around Winchester at all.
There's two places you might want to check out in Winchester, Harvest Moon Natural Foods and Naturally Yours. The former is in a strip mall on Route 11 on the very southern edge of town, the latter is at the shopping center at Route 11 and I-81 north of town. Front Royal has Better Thymes Natural Food in the Royal Plaza Shopping Center. None of the three are really all that walkable, not in the way that the two organic food stores in Leesburg are.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarthel View Post
Thank you all very much! Have you heard of Lake Holiday Estates? Are these mostly vacation homes or is it more of a nice planned community? Thanks!
Avoid Lake Holiday for the time being. The houses are beautiful and so is the land, don't get me wrong, but there is some issue with the HOA and the reconstruction of a dam or levee or something for the lake that is going to cost a FORTUNE and owners in the subdivision may be on the hook for a large portion of it....

That was the news on Lake Holiday as of a year or two ago, but I haven't kept up with it... DO YOUR RESEARCH on that one though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia