Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 31,103 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Delaware, have two small boys 1 and 3 yrs old, and we are debating where to settle in N.VA. We would like to have a nice sized home, but often the more expensive neighborhoods can tend to be less friendly and less kid-oriented. We also want to be near an area that gives a "town-feel". Are there any such neighborhoods in Vienna/Fairfax Station or surrounding areas? One realtor we contacted is marginally helpful. Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM

261 posts, read 1,666,659 times
What's your budget and where is your commute to?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:51 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Burke is a great area and it is near Fairfax Station. There is a Virginia Railway Express station there for easy connection to the Metro (subway system). There is also Burke Lake which offers camping sites. If you contact me directly I will give you the name of a public website which is very helpful.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:41 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
I would definitely look into Burke (e.g., Cherry Run), Fairfax Station and some parts of Fairfax (22032) near those (e.g., Middleridge, Fairfax Club Estates, Country Club Estates). I'm sure there are many other nice communities in these areas, but these are the ones I'm most familiar with. It's very family-oriented and accessible to shopping, parks, lakes, etc.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:27 PM

37 posts, read 150,864 times
I used to teach in Oakton, and the kids came from both Oakton and Vienna. I found Vienna to be very family friendly, and some of the homes were quite upscale. Check out the neighborhoods off Hunter Mill Road, like Tamarack and Wayside -- those are two story homes but not McMansions. They have those too in the area, off Lawyers Rd, so it all depends on what you are looking at. I teach on the other side of Vienna now, nearer to Tysons Corner. It's a lot more congested on this side. I think the Oakton side of Vienna has more of a family feel.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 PM

71 posts, read 316,278 times
Default Consult a Realtor

You need to consult a local realtor that lives in and works in northern VA. A good realtor will be able to help you sort through all of your wants and needs, expand and then contract the number of homes that meet your requirements and show you homes that you'll love. An awful lot goes in to determining where you'll live. Spend the time with an expert to help you make the best decisions possible.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,452 times
I will second that. I had a great realtor in Maryland who helped me find a rental, then when I bought I used him and when I sold I used him again. Then here in Albuquerque I have a great one who helped me buy and now is helping me sell. I also have a great realtor in NOVA who is helping me look for things and she's extremely knowledgeable. A good realtor is essential and they earn their money. Just be sure to get a good one.

I know people who have had lousy ones that couldn't even explain settlement costs and didn't really represent them very well. Do your homework, get references, interview them. I interview my realtors and my doctors. I expect good customer service from them as well as my mechanic and handyman etc etc... and if they don't give it to me I get someone else. Buying real estate is a huge and important investment and having a knowledgeable expert on your side is critical IMNSHO.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 31,103 times
Thanks for all your replies!

In response to our budget, it is 1mil-1.5 mil (obviously, lower is better)
I like the idea of Vienna and Fairfax so far.

Our primary concerns in finding a home are such- too much to ask for?:
1. Decent Commute to Stafford where my husband may be working
2. Good schools
3. Friendly upper-class neighborhoods with kids
4. proximity to a "town center"

Do you think it is hard for newcomers to make friends in NoVa? It seems like a lot of people are born/raised/and stay here. Also, I hope these areas have "down to earth" people?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 AM
LLD

Man I wish I had your budget! LOL

I think you'll be able to get whatever you want. With that budget you could live in Mclean or Oakton or Vienna or in just about any of the really upscale areas around the DC area.

But I'm confused. Why do you want the areas you've asked about if hubby's work is in Stafford? That's quite a commute. Are you also working and in the DC metro area? Have you considered Fredricksburg? Basically a nice historic college town and your budget would get you the the best there. Much closer to Stafford than the DC Metro area.

As to friendliness... I've seen people on both sides of that issue. But I've never felt unfriendliness. In fact I was just in NOVA and thought everyone was really nice and friendly. Others on this forum have mentioned how family friendly Vienna is. I think you would find friendly and welcoming attitudes in Fredricksburg.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 AM
LLD

p.s. Oakton is very upscale and seems to fit your list. But again a long way from Stafford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia