U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,622,267 times

Advertisements

Couldn't we talk instead about the fact that the sun's finally come out for a change?

I say this as someone who started a thread about TJ a while back when the school "officially" became majority Asian. Just not sure there's much that hasn't already been said a gazillion times about its students, parents, teachers, demographics or significance vis-a-vis one's future prospects (or lack thereof).

Last edited by JD984; 09-09-2011 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 01:32 PM

8,776 posts, read 10,683,449 times
people get carried away with Ivy obsessions. Others get carried away with BMW obsessions, or big house obsessions, or political obsessions.

I think its healthiest to leave folks to their obsessions, and well, not to obsess about them.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

766 posts, read 849,368 times
I did not go to TJ, and honestly I don't think it mattered. Which university you end up going though, matters a lot imo, but high school? as long as you get good grades I don't think it matters.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im not sure what motivated the original post.
It's Friday. On Fridays I like to come up with topics that have a little zing to them--something for the weekend crowd to have fun with. Thus, the thread about ads on the sides of buses and also this thread.

The idea for this thread came from the thread about Leesburg. Someone posted a comment about how to get to Jefferson from Leesburg--and even though it was supposed to be a snarky putdown, that started the ball rolling. I thought if TJ keeps coming up in a bunch of different threads then it's obviously something we like to talk about. Then I pondered a few different approaches, and decided this one would be the most fun.

Voila! A thread topic was born.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Couldn't we talk instead about the fact that the sun's finally come out for a change?
I would hope that improves everyones mood. I usually like rain, but this has been getting to me.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's Friday. On Fridays I like to come up with topics that have a little zing to them--something for the weekend crowd to have fun with. Thus, the thread about ads on the sides of buses and also this thread.

The idea for this thread came from the thread about Leesburg. Someone mentioned wanting to start a thread on how to get to Jefferson from Leesburg--and that started the ball rolling. I thought if TJ keeps coming up in a bunch of different threads then it's obviously something we like to talk about. Then I pondered a few different approaches, and decided this one would be the most fun.

Voila! A thread topic was born.

I must say it doesnt look fun - it looks provocative, snarky, sarcastic and filled with resentment.

BTW, there are a bunch of kids from Loudoun who attend TJ - theres even a group from western Loudoun, who car pool together. I would have answered the question in that thread, but I have decided to no longer post in threads about Loudoun County.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Sure, that sounds like a good topic too.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,803,107 times
I don't know - my husband met some gigantic toolboxes who graduated TJ in his electrical engineering program at Mason. Not saying it is an indication of the entire graduating class, but there were several in his classes who brought up almost ad nauseum how they had attended TJ...and possibly should be bowed to?

I didn't live in this area for HS, but I did attend a very well regarded parochial HS in my old home state. Just like my private top 50 university, all it did really was get me that name recogniztion ("Oh, you went THERE? Good school") and give me slightly better resources during school than the public schools would have.

I think it is great to aspire to be the best of the best, but those schools are NOT for everybody. It depends on your kid.

I say as the mother of a brand-new K student in an FCPS school

Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's Friday. On Fridays I like to come up with topics that have a little zing to them.
On Fridays I like to begin to let the negative things of the week go, and to enter a state of rest and peace, remembering the seventh day, the gift of peace and joy.

Maybe its best I avoid CD on Friday afternoon.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I must say it doesnt look fun - it looks provocative, snarky, sarcastic and filled with resentment.
Tell ya what, just to make sure it veers more towards the fun side of things, I'll repeat my opening statement that TJ is a great school. The purpose of this thread is not to bash TJ. The idea of this thread is to ponder how (or if) your life would be different if you had gone to that school. An underlying question could also be "does which high school you attend really alter what you accomplish in life?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia