Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,858,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
And regarding the parents, yes, there's a stereotype that TJ parents are a bunch of pushy Tiger-Mother types and undoubtedly there are some but from what I've seen, most are parents who recognize that their children have talents and motivation and really just want their child in an environment where the child is free to thrive. Again, it's sad that FCPS won't give a similar opportunity to more students.
Ha ha ha I love that new term "Tiger-Mother." It's so descriptive.

As for the parents of T.J. students, I've met many over the years and they've had all kinds of personalities. Most of the parents I've met are pleasant people. But boy oh boy I've also met a few who were so high strung I wanted to give them valium. I think of it as an extra benefit to having this school. It does attract a few parents who can get a bit overly intense, which means one less control freak at the PTA at my neighborhood school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Again, it's sad that FCPS won't give a similar opportunity to more students.
I would be nice to see more schools like this, preferably throughout the region. Maybe when the economy improves?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,051,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
This is really quite offensive. Just because someone doesn't go to TJ doesn't make them "dumb". There are plenty of people just as bright as those at TJ who are attending other FCPS high schools. And the notion that not scoring well on an academic test makes you "dumb" just makes me shake my head.

The question wasn't whether a higher IQ gives you more opportunities. The question was whether a given person would be more successful at school A vs. school B. My take on it is that if you put all those TJ kids back at their neighborhood schools, they'd still be doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, etc.

There is a lot more to life than scoring well in an academic setting. It's a hard lesson to learn when you've spent your entire life progressing towards more and more challenging academics. (I know--I had to go through that reality check)
You're probably right but, then again, Denton56 is like Laura Ingraham, who knows quite well that striving hard for a consensus is not the surest way to her own talk radio show or a lucrative book contract. We'll be debating her comments when many others are forgotten.

As my prior reference to "On the Waterfront" indicates, I'm aiming to play the court jester on this thread - just because it seems to me that we need another big, contentious thread about TJ right now about as much as we need more rain.

I did find IndiaLimaDelta's thoughtful post fascinating, and Fern435's first post made me chuckle. It reminded me of a couple we know with two boys, the oldest of whom attended TJ. Every time we saw the family, without exception, the boy was wearing a TJ sweatshirt. Every time. I used to think that a very large chunk of his identity consisted of attending a magnet school. Flash forward a few years and now, every time we see the younger boy, he's wearing a sweatshirt for his neighborhood HS. Turns out they were both teenagers not yet giving a great deal of thought to clothes. Go figure.

Last edited by JD984; 09-10-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,149,824 times
I don't think where you go to high school matters. As far as I know, all universities will take someone from any high school. I went to the top public university in the country which only took 4 students graduating from TJ last year. I'm sure the other 4,000+ freshmen will have just as great a shot at landing the jobs of their dreams.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM

26,685 posts, read 41,569,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
This is really quite offensive. Just because someone doesn't go to TJ doesn't make them "dumb". There are plenty of people just as bright as those at TJ who are attending other FCPS high schools. And the notion that not scoring well on an academic test makes you "dumb" just makes me shake my head.

The question wasn't whether a higher IQ gives you more opportunities. The question was whether a given person would be more successful at school A vs. school B. My take on it is that if you put all those TJ kids back at their neighborhood schools, they'd still be doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, etc.

There is a lot more to life than scoring well in an academic setting. It's a hard lesson to learn when you've spent your entire life progressing towards more and more challenging academics. (I know--I had to go through that reality check)
I agree, very offensive.

Put the same smart kid from TJ and put him at my alma mater TC Williams and he will very likely be a doctor regardless. Usually any academic success or failure from a student is long determined before HS.

Quote:
FWIW I think one of the important things I learned going to my neighborhood school was how to get along with a wide variety of people. That's an advantage you get from attending an "ordinary" school and I found that very helpful when starting our business. I also didn't go to college right away but I did put myself through several years later and I personally think I got more out of the experience from waiting and getting some real life experience before taking college courses.
Agreed.

Oh those "tiger-mother" types, I thank God my mom is not of those. She actually realized that grades and how many instruments you can play are not the only barometers of success in life.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,022,574 times
We moved from one of the "top" districts in NJ.

Our local h.s. was the "must go to" school, and parents pushed and pushed their kids to an unreasonable degree,
which is what I understand goes on here too and from the OP sounds like that is the
situation with this TJ school.

Two of the recent graduates of our former local high school used their "amazing smarts" to spy on the one boy's roommate at Rutgers a year ago this month,
and the poor roommate (Tyler Clementi) then jumped off the GWB.

Awesome values, there: Must must must have the smarts to graduate from top school.
No need for basic human compassion, though.
What a charming set of values!

I want my kids to reach their potential but I also want them to care for others and to be happy in their own skin.
The crazy-obsessive academic mindset here and the one we moved from just doesn't sit well w/ me.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,200,067 times
Just Googled TJ. Never heard of it or knew where it was until this forum. Guess you really do learn something new every day!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM

2,489 posts, read 3,386,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
We moved from one of the "top" districts in NJ.

Our local h.s. was the "must go to" school, and parents pushed and pushed their kids to an unreasonable degree,
which is what I understand goes on here too and from the OP sounds like that is the
situation with this TJ school.

Two of the recent graduates of our former local high school used their "amazing smarts" to spy on the one boy's roommate at Rutgers a year ago this month,
and the poor roommate (Tyler Clementi) then jumped off the GWB.

Awesome values, there: Must must must have the smarts to graduate from top school.
No need for basic human compassion, though.
What a charming set of values!

I want my kids to reach their potential but I also want them to care for others and to be happy in their own skin.
The crazy-obsessive academic mindset here and the one we moved from just doesn't sit well w/ me.
Agree with all of this--especially about the smart kids who have all the 'right' credentials for elite schools but no concern/consideration for other people. World conditions won't improve with arrogant, elitist 'smart' people who bully others.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,982,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Any NoVA high school will help students be successful in college/life if they have the support of sensible, balanced parents.
Nicely said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Agree with all of this--especially about the smart kids who have all the 'right' credentials for elite schools but no concern/consideration for other people. World conditions won't improve with arrogant, elitist 'smart' people who bully others.

I agree with this, too. Of course, there are many kids from TJ who do have compassion, and many of them will go far. Which leads back to the idea that learning to be sensible and having balance are what's important (for both the parents and the kids).

Last edited by Caladium; 09-10-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 11:09 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,394,243 times
World conditions are not being helped at all by gaggles of envious, pedestrian minds who stumble about believing that those they have been carefully taught to fear really are some band of "elites" -- arrogant, narrow-minded, and out of touch with mainstream America. Many of these same people of course want the best electrician, plumber, alergist, arborist, surgeon, hair stylist, golf caddy or what have you to come work with or for them. High levels of expertise and experience in those fields apparently do not cause one to become an arrogant, narrow-minded, elite who is out of touch with mainstream America. Rather odd, when you stop to think about it.

TJ is meanwhile a high school. That's all. Like many well-known private schools, it is selective in its admissions. If there were no TJ, both its students and its faculty would be dispersed back into FCPS and other area high schools where science and math centers had been established. The primary reason for TJ's existence is logistics. Is that enough? What should we do for area students who excel to the same degree in subjects that are not math and science? Anything? Or are they all fine just as is...

Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,022,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
World conditions are not being helped at all by gaggles of envious, pedestrian minds who stumble about believing that those they have been carefully taught to fear really are some band of "elites" -- arrogant, narrow-minded, and out of touch with mainstream America.
Just what are you getting at?
Sorry, we must be "too pedestrian."

I'm not "envious of the highly educated."
I have a Master's degree, I have traveled extensively, etc etc.

I also know how to prioritize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia