U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,761,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedinVA View Post
Hey everyone, so to clear a few things up. I know I had mentioned it in an earlier post but my wife is in risk management (finance, think all things insurance. So as an example if a company has different facilities or properties, like Coke has multiple bottling facilities all over the country, they need certificates of insurance for all aspect of the business, she manages that). She has mentioned that she does NOT want to work in DC proper and her skill sets are easily transferable to different industries.
sounds like she would not have to look in DC proper. Whether excluding Tyson's Corner and limiting herself to employers in or west of Reston would be a signficant limitation, I can't say.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedinVA View Post
Also my wife is taking a year off of work starting now and her income would be great but not necessary for now.
if she can afford to wait and be picky about job location, then writing off jobs east of Reston sounds like it could be quite a viable strategy, which would favor locating further west. Also, if she does want the option of working in Tyson's, she could wait till the Silver Line is completed.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 09-22-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,443,993 times
Speaking about TASC, coincidentally the paper has an article today called "Who's Hiring in Loudoun." TASC is listed as having 234 publicly advertised job openings in Loudoun. They don't say where in Loudoun these jobs are but I don't think TASC has that many offices out here and they do have a couple of buildings near the airport on Willard.

I can't seem to find a link to this article yet (maybe it's too soon?). However if you have a copy of Loudoun Times Mirror it's on page A6 in the top right hand corner.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM

17 posts, read 9,811 times
Thank you to everyone on all your amazing feedback. We will be there this weekend and will report back our initial thoughts.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

17 posts, read 9,811 times
Well I wanted to follow up on this, we are closing on our home here in NY on the 23rd of Nov (makes things hard on Thanksgiving but that is another story). We have looked at multiple areas and still have not made a decision. We are lucky enough to stay with some friends in the Lake Manassas area and try to figure out what we want. It is such a large area and don't want to make a mistake. Has anyone have any information on the Mt Vernon or Rose Hills areas (I believe they are near Alexandria?) We are looking at new developments and they are extremely rare the closer you get to DC. Thanks again everyone, it has been a trying period, but we are almost down there. Thanks again.

Also I have increased our home budget to closer to $850,000.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:50 AM

rose hill is the area between Kingstowne and huntington metro - IIRC its pretty much all older SFH's. A good deal for someone looking for a SFH close in, maybe, but its not new development. Nor is it close to Dulles (though I suppose its well located for National). As for its location relative to jobs for your wife, it sort of flips most of the above discussion - its close to DC, Alexandria, and not too bad for Arlington, but its not close to Tysons, and is quite far from the Reston-Ashburn corridor.

By the way, I am amused to reread and find that suggesting considering Reston in lieu of Chantilly makes one a suburb basher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia