Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

Good points, sag. FWIW I think Reston/Herndon and McLean also have a good number of companies that would hire someone without a background in finance. For example, I hear DCAA and Tasc are both hiring a lot right now for offices in McLean and Herndon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW I think Reston/Herndon and McLean also have a good number of companies that would hire someone without a background in finance. For example, I hear DCAA and Tasc are both hiring a lot right now for offices in McLean and Herndon.
No doubt about it, but finance-oriented jobs may be skewed more toward downtown than some other lines of work. There's a risk that when the wife does return to work, the job she'd really love to take would be on K Street or Capitol Hill, while she was stuck living in Purcellville. Commutes to Dulles, Tysons, and Reston/Herndon are not necessarily worsened in improving the one to DC. It may be that while looking to the west, the OP should still think about taking the easternmost place he can find that still meets the budget-vs-space requirements, and some of those are pretty far east, which is why I mentioned Mosby Woods as one example earlier.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:32 AM

If this is a concern, I suggest the OP check job listings and see where the openings are that might appeal to his wife. IMO, when she chooses to look for work she has an equal chance of finding a job she really loves in Chantilly. Or Herndon. Or McLean. Or Reston. Or Leesburg. You might be surprised at how many companies are outside the beltway. The days when you had to go into DC to find a good job are long behind us.

Gotta agree that Purcellville would not be a good choice for the OP. I'm not even sure how Purcellville came into the conversation. It's way west of Reston, Herndon, Chantilly and other communities the OP was interested in.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Personally -- given that the job market (even in finance) can change markedly in the one or two years that the OP's wife will be staying home -- I would suggest renting first. This would offer the chance to check out an area/neighborhood first, provide a way for the commute to be tested for the OP's needs, and would allow for some friendships to form between SAHM and other friends. The importance of commute -- especially for families with two working parents -- shouldn't be underestimated (in my opinion).

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM

17 posts, read 17,508 times
A lot of good posts and I do have a question, is part of Chantilly in Loudon County and the other in Fairfax? My wife is happy to take some time off and her skill set allows her to enter in almost any industry as she manages the risk management (all things insurance) for a fortune 500 company now. I noticed a post regarding Chantilly school and drugs, unfortunately most schools do have some kind of issue. My brother went to Torrey Pines high school in San Diego and it is one of the nicest places in SD, but the drug issue was ramapant. The reason is that the kids had a lot more disposable income that many others did not. All we can do is try to teach our little one to avoid it. Chantilly keeps coming up and seems to have the combination that we do like. We will be going to VA on Oct 1-5th and will be looking at different areas. The input that you have all given will influence where we look. As OrangeFish mentioned, worst case we may rent as we will have cash and in no hurry to have to pull the trigger (other than the fact that my wife would love to be settled and have the babies room done). Once again all great posts!

Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 AM

Chantilly isn't an incorporated city, it's just an informal name given to a community located around the intersection of US-50 and VA-28. I believe it straddles the county line, so some parts of Chantilly are in Fairfax and some in Loudoun. I may be wrong, but I believe most of the homes are on the Fairfax side, since both of the high schools are Fairfax schools.

A huge number of the communities here are not incorporated. As a result, borders are sometimes a bit nebulous.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks Caladium. We are really excited about the move and we will be including Reston in our search.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:31 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedinVA View Post
. . . we will be including Reston in our search.
Here are some resources for Reston
Welcome to Reston Association
http://restontowncenter.com
Reston, VA Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Here is a photo tour I did of the South Lakes Area
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes

Good news is Reston is a great place to live . . . the bad news is that there are not a lot of properties on the market and you may need to wait for something to come on the market. I spent about 6 months in a temporary apartment while I was looking and at the time it seemed terrible but it was really worth the wait.

Here are few places you might want to check out.
12059 SUMMER MEADOW LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
1752 DRESSAGE DR, RESTON, VA 20190 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
11922 RIDERS LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
2636 STEEPLECHASE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

I've actually been to an open house in this next one - it is a major fixer-upper with fantastic bones and lot.
12122 STIRRUP RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Another problem with the current market in Reston is that there are several listings that (in my opinion) are drastically overpriced for the market and are just not moving. They may be prime for a reasonable priced offer in your price range.
2021 PEPPERMINT CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
12147 STIRRUP RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
12130 STIRRUP RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 AM

227 posts, read 399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Chantilly isn't an incorporated city, it's just an informal name given to a community located around the intersection of US-50 and VA-28. I believe it straddles the county line, so some parts of Chantilly are in Fairfax and some in Loudoun. I may be wrong, but I believe most of the homes are on the Fairfax side, since both of the high schools are Fairfax schools.

A huge number of the communities here are not incorporated. As a result, borders are sometimes a bit nebulous.
Cookie cutter South Riding is where boundaries get mixed a bit.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Here are some resources for Reston
Welcome to Reston Association
http://restontowncenter.com
Reston, VA Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Here is a photo tour I did of the South Lakes Area
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes

Good news is Reston is a great place to live . . . the bad news is that there are not a lot of properties on the market and you may need to wait for something to come on the market. I spent about 6 months in a temporary apartment while I was looking and at the time it seemed terrible but it was really worth the wait.

Here are few places you might want to check out.
12059 SUMMER MEADOW LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
1752 DRESSAGE DR, RESTON, VA 20190 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
11922 RIDERS LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
2636 STEEPLECHASE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

I've actually been to an open house in this next one - it is a major fixer-upper with fantastic bones and lot.
12122 STIRRUP RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Another problem with the current market in Reston is that there are several listings that (in my opinion) are drastically overpriced for the market and are just not moving. They may be prime for a reasonable priced offer in your price range.
2021 PEPPERMINT CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
12147 STIRRUP RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
12130 STIRRUP RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
Thank you for the information, this is really good stuff. It looks like I have to spend a bit more to get into Reston but I like that the Metro will be in that city at some point. Prices are still inflated and we can wait for 6 months as we leave the selling season. One of the homes looked interesting and we will ensure that we take a look. I may PM you for more indepth info at some point if that is ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia