Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,918 times

Advertisements

Drving through to look at the town, possible re-lo,
streets, or neighborhoods you'd prefer to avoid??
How about if a loved one was going to be walking w/ baby
in a stroller..areas of town that you'd be calling safe vs. questionable.

major or small town shopping? Cultural activities? (super small town feel, or a bit busier than a pokey vibe?

Thank you ahead for your candor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM

146 posts, read 343,560 times
While lovely, they don't call it "Dull-peper" for nothing.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Where will you be working? Perhaps we can offer alternatives. For example I'd probably pick Warrenton over Culpeper if the drive wasn't much worse. There's not much unsafe about Culpeper except as the previous poster mentioned being bored to death.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
Culpeper = boring IMO, but I can recommend an excellent hair stylist there. Ha! I feel like such an outsider in the town every time I go to get my hair done.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Dull-peper

I had seen The Culpeper website a while back.. It showed the shops
all lined in a row along its main street.. and it looked nice.
Dull-peper though, nah, I already live like that and need a change..
I passed by the mirror and saw cobwebs on my shoulders. I need
a place that'll keep me awake. I heard since you could take a train into D.C. from there (Culpeper) I thought it may have been a hopping little town.
SURE AM GLAD you've been so nice to share.. REALLY if it weren't for your reply, I might have spent the day driving hours to go take a peek only to
be flattened out by dulls-ville. Consider your reply your good deed for the day.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
I I heard since you could take a train into D.C. from there (Culpeper) I thought it may have been a hopping little town.
Amtrak stops in Culpeper but the service is not really optimal for daily commute purposes. Most small towns around Virginia are not "hopping" except maybe Galax.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
I actually grew up in Culpeper, but haven't lived there since 1997. And yes it was miserable growing up there. However it has experienced what I consider explosive growth since I moved away. It is still quite dull though. It has become a typical suburb. Even in the 90's it was considered just a bedroom community to DC as many people commuted up to NoVa and DC. When I lived there the super wal mart was the biggest thing in town. Now there's a Target and several chain restaurants out on business 29/15. And downtown has gotten some pretty cool independent stores and restaurants. The amount of new subdivisions and houses also took me by surprise. Now, as an adult I could probably tolerate living there, but I'm kinda boring too. The easier access to DC is a plus, but traffic getting there can be terrible.

If you're looking for a smaller happening place, you could check out Charlottesville. Where are you now? Just for the sake of comparison.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
I've lived in Culpeper for 9 years. Yes, it has grown. I'm not out and about much anymore but, I find it a nice place to live. I guess it just depends on what kind of amenities and activities you're looking for. Funny, I've never heard it called Dull-peper. I guess to each his own.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Thanks, thatdurncat13

I think we will drive through soon to take a peek..
Ya never know.. just might be the right fit for us.
I'll let you know what we think.. how's that sound?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
You mentioned in one of your posts about having to drive for hours to get here. May I ask where you're driving from? And yes, I'd be curious to see what you think of Culpeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia