U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM

523 posts, read 1,291,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I went to a top University in Virginia for 4 year (and two summers). I never met a single person from Oz, OP, or SJHS. I knew many, many from Vienna, Mclean, Springfield, and Annandale/Fairfax. I believe that is one of those statistics that they don't want you to know. How many of their students get a four year degree within 6 years of graduation?
I'm a Stonewall graduate with a PhD.... !! Albeit, I graduated 10+ years ago. But yes, Manassas has a bad reputation, a ton of illegal immigrants, and many parts of it can only be described as a dump. I received a great education when I was there, but I have no idea how SJHS is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 14,540 times
Wow, a townhouse in Fairfax County for 265K? Where? And how small of a townhouse?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 AM

566 posts, read 2,757,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacia22 View Post
Wow, a townhouse in Fairfax County for 265K? Where? And how small of a townhouse?
Take your pick...there are a few hundred townhomes in FC under 265k.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:00 AM

8,048 posts, read 7,312,801 times
If you do a search in Manassas, you'll find many under 100K now. They're mostly in the Georgetown section.

We sold a rental home about 15 years ago in the Point of Woods section for 110K. Last night, I saw that there were homes in that neighborhood for $147K. I knew at one that the prices had tripled from where we sold but that bubble occurred in only about 2 or 3 years time. It was generally flat up until about 2002-2003 and now it seems to be reverting to what the real market and real incomes will bear.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:51 PM

8,048 posts, read 7,312,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
There are many for sale units in Sumner Lake; several foreclosures. The surrounding area--Georgian Hamlet, Liberia, etc. stinks. Sumner is a very well planned, good looking community; the lake is beautiful at sunrise. There are some units that have been converted into duplexes. I think 250K--not 500K.
23.8 percent of the listings in PWC are foreclosures or short sales. So it has to be even higher in Manassas and Manassas Park.

McEnearney - Northern Virginia MarketWatch (http://www.mcenearney.com/tips/nova-marketwatch.php - broken link)

Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 AM

523 posts, read 1,291,965 times
23.8%? Ouch!

Foreclosures, along with the new homes that builders are continuing to build, will only speed up the pace of this downturn.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,708 times
I put three kids through SJHS - yes, it's a good school. What made it great was Dr. Constantino - who was principal when my boys were there - but he put some very good programs in place, which are still used.
By the way - my boys are now an aerospace engineer, a mechanical engineer, and a current GMU student - all reaped great benefits from SJHS.
You need a lot of good factors to create a good learning environment - from home, to teachers, to administrators. I have two more kids to put through high school, and they will also attend SJHS - and I will have no qualms about sending them there.
My 2 cents.
Elizabeth

Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM

69 posts, read 215,792 times
Stonewall's a very good high school. The reality is there are no bad high schools in PWC, all 10 county schools, plus Osbourn and Manassas Park made Newsweek's top 1300 for last year. Stonewall was second only to Hylton in PWC. Freedom was last.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 8,348 times
Default Some insight to the posts in this thread ...

All of Prince William County was hit hard with foreclosures (resulting in so many homes on the market) for a number of reasons. First, homes in Fairfax County are far too expensive for first time homebuyers which resulted in many new buyers to purchase homes in PW County. This drove prices up because there were more buyers than homes for sale in the first half of 2000. Prices by the end of 2005 were outrageous in the County - and thankfully the lenders stopped lending money out so freely which halted the ridiculous prices on these houses. From 2003 to 2005, lenders were dreaming up new ways to lend money to anyone who was breathing - and unfortunately many people who dreamed of homeownership were sucked into these "creative financing" loans without realizing what they were getting into. Too many mortgage brokers, real estate agents and settlement agents were not being upfront with their clients and were more concerned with making their commissions than the best interest of their clients. Hence - the record number of foreclosures.

Now for a comment on the one post I read about "ILLEGAL" immigrants. Prince William County freely invited the illegal immigrants into the County through 2006 - and they flocked to the County because there was work available for them. Are these immigrants at fault for wanting a better life? Why did PW County get so many illegal immigrants - because employers were hiring them. Now PW wants to "evict" all of these immigrants with their new racial proliferation law ... just my thoughts on this. And I'm sure you realize that I am adamantly opposed to this law.

As far as the schools throughout Prince William County - there is a direct correlation between the area where the school is located and how much income the families earn - and how good the school is. It's unfortunate that the schools on the eastern side of the County are significantly poorer than the schools on the western side of the County. Stonewall has gotten a bad reputation simply because it's racially and economically diverse whereas Brentsville and Battlefield are predominately weathlier and caucasian with significantly less attendance of the hispanic and African American students.

I am a realtor in the Prince William County area and I have seen the damage done by less than honest people in the real estate business. It saddens me when I see a family's dreams destroyed by foreclosure, job loss, illness.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:02 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,366,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvnNLivn View Post
I am a realtor in the Prince William County area and I have seen the damage done by less than honest people in the real estate business. It saddens me when I see a family's dreams destroyed by foreclosure, job loss, illness.
Sadden? You made a bucket load of money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or