U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:37 AM

76 posts, read 278,789 times

Advertisements

One of the recently arrested murderers resided on Witch Hazel (Wellington) the other on Taney Rd. (Georgetown South). IMHO, to pay 4 to 5 times more for a home in Wellington vs. GTS would be foolish, because, as other posters have stated, it's pretty much the same story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,339,393 times
Hey dont trounce on Manassas, it has a lot of History. What does Louden County have? A bunch of Starbucks at every corner and strip malls ?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM

76 posts, read 278,789 times
What City is the brunt of more jokes, than any other in the State of Virginia?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,339,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgermanguy View Post
What City is the brunt of more jokes, than any other in the State of Virginia?

It has its +/- . Where do you live?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,697 times
I also joked about it - until I moved here in 1987, and have been here ever since. I LOVE this town - where else can you drive less than a mile to get to every kind of shopping you could want, restaurants by the ton, and more churches per capita than anywhere else in Virginia? Once you are here for a while, you realize that Manassas have quite a "small town" feel - you get to know people everywhere (actually, Manassas can be quite a gossipy little town - people like to be in everyone else's business...).
The high school is tops - my oldes son graduated from SJHS, went on to Tech, and is now a "rocket scientist"!! The mall is a great place to shop - not too crowded like Fair Oaks (I actually HATE Fair Oaks snobbery shopping), I LOVE Bad Ass Coffee (yum) and Panera Coffee (yum), not a fan of Star Bucks, but we have that too.
I have no plans to join the "white flight" to Bristow - why would I? I love my little town. I have the best, friendly neighbors - right now, lots of empty houses (forclosures), but that will change. My old neighborhood went through the very same thing in the mid/late 80's - has everyone forgotten that already? You couldn't give a house away. Markets fluctuate...

Anyhoo - it gets tiring of people who have never lived here bash the place.

Oh - AND we have the Battlefield!! There's so much rich history in this town. If you do a little digging (not literally), there is a ton of stuff to see and do if you are a Civil War buff. Well, my roots are growing deeper here everyday. I have raised my children here, and have no plans to leave my lovely little town.

Elizabeth

Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Sadden? You made a bucket load of money
Actually - no I didn't - I was working behind the scenes for a realtor who was doing less than honest things with her clients! I quit working with this realtor when I saw the dishonesty. Since I was already a licensed realtor, I went out on my own because I believe that homeownership is the key to financial freedom and homeownership is the American dream. I always make sure my clients can afford the homes they want to purchase and they completely understand the terms of the loans they are getting into. Unfortunately, there were many many so called professionals that were not honest and upfront with their clients concerning the terms they were getting into. I

Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,221 times
My Goodness - there are a lot of Manassas' bashers out there! For those of you out of this area, forgive them, for they know nothing of this outstanding community. I have lived here for 30 years this month, raised three children to be extremely successful, getting PHD at UVA, BS at James Madison, and a MSEE at VATECh. I moved here from upstate NY, thinking I was coming to the boonies - well - nothing could be further from the truth. The schools are award winning, and the people are very well placed in this life. There are immigrant's or were, but the laws in this area cracked down on them, the housing market took most of them out of their abodes, and put them out of work, so largely the community is reverting to it's previous roots. The population of Hispanics is less than 10%. Diversity is a blessing, however illegals are not - so we fixed the problem! The county of Prince William enjoyed ridiculous growth - with housing values doubling in 3-5 years for a decade or more, and not due to sales to immigrants. Most of these people were vacating Fairfax, Annandale, arlington, DC and Alexandria for quieter and safer homes in a family oriented community. There is a lot of history, pride and continuous growth here - come and join us and forget about the folks who don't live here. They can have their worthless condo's in the urban jungle. This is god's country with a lot of services that rival those in Fairfax and Alexandria, at 80% of the cost. The average Prince WIlliam county family is young, up and coming professionals. If you have been to the county or to Manassas in the last decade - you have no idea what you are talking about!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM

11 posts, read 24,738 times
Manassas is not considered a very good area...illegal immigrants, gangs. Also, it's very far from DC and traffic there is terrible

Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 PM

385 posts, read 1,106,800 times
10% Hispanic?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM

420 posts, read 817,443 times
If I ever get a chance to move back to Virginia from Alabama, I will definately be looking to live in Manassas again. I've lived in Fairfax, Centreville, and Bristow (moved to Braemar in 2004) but my heart will always be in Manassas. Ever since moving to Virginia in 1976, I'd always heard Manassas was where the lowlifes lived and then when I moved there in 1993 to be closer to work, I also fell in love with the place. I hope all the people who down Manassas will just keep away forever. I'd much rather live with brown skinned people than brown nosed people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or