Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM

523 posts, read 1,414,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupclip View Post
My wife and I are moving our family to NoVA, and have pretty much settled on the Manassas area. My question is why is Stonewall Jackson such an UNdesireable HS? Looking at homes, 2 houses seperated by less than a mile between Brentsville District HS and SJHS and the price difference is nearly 25%. Its easy to see that from the raw statistics that SJHS is very racially and economically diverse, while BDHS is fairly homogeneous (sp?). Personally, I think kids can learn anywhere that they are in an environment conducive to learning -- there is classroom discipline and they don't fear for the personal security. SO how bad is SJHS really? Compared to Battlefield or BDHS? Also, it looks to me like BDHS has an overcrowding problem which will get worse before it gets better. The new Kettle Run HS is actually in th next county, so its not going to solve anything, am I right? I appreciate frank answers about criume, drugs and gangs as well as advantages of larger facility, smaller classes, the IB program, etc.

Thanks.
As a SJHS graduate, I can say I got a fabulous education. However that was 10 years ago... Manassas seems to have been going down the toilet since then due to the growing numbers of illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 PM

192 posts, read 262,275 times
SJHS boasts a 33% lunch subsidy population, while it is 13% at OHS. I think they did/do have a good program for the so called "gifted" students. But unfortunately, they have neglected the other 98% of the students and have segregated them form the general student population. As someone who has worked in several different aspects of the educational system, I would avoid both.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-22-2007 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Edited out rude portion of post.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,557 times
Lunch subsidies are an interesting metric for comparison and for understanding the demographics of a school. But are you suggesting that 33% is high? My daughter is now at a school (we're no longer in VA) with 75-80% lunch subsidies, due to a snafu with our move. I know another school here has 91%. But it has been a valuable experience. She's among very sweet, unpretentious, unspoiled children. And she's found herself in something of a leadership role. I mean, you want a good, safe learning environment - but - at least in our case it turns out these kids on lunch subsidies are nicer than the kids we've met who are not.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,389,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Lunch subsidies are an interesting metric for comparison and for understanding the demographics of a school. But are you suggesting that 33% is high? My daughter is now at a school (we're no longer in VA) with 75-80% lunch subsidies, due to a snafu with our move. I know another school here has 91%. But it has been a valuable experience. She's among very sweet, unpretentious, unspoiled children. And she's found herself in something of a leadership role. I mean, you want a good, safe learning environment - but - at least in our case it turns out these kids on lunch subsidies are nicer than the kids we've met who are not.
Thank you very much for pointing this out! This has been our experience as well. Being among lower income families does not necessarily mean a lower quality educational environment for children.

You are very wise, goldenmom7500!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM

I think 33% is high, if you are considering paying 400-500K for a home. And, I agree, that a school with a 90% rate could be safer and better managed than one with a 33% rate. That's why homes around here should be in the 125-200K range.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 13,007 times
We've lived here for 2 years (moved from Loudon Co.) and we love Manassas. Olde Towne Manassas is a very nice area with restaurants and a city pavilion that turns into an ice rink in the winter. During the summer they have nice events in Olde Towne. Every area in Northern Virgina and Maryland has immigrants - legal and illegal of EVERY nationality.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I think 33% is high, if you are considering paying 400-500K for a home. And, I agree, that a school with a 90% rate could be safer and better managed than one with a 33% rate. That's why homes around here should be in the 125-200K range.
I just don't think the math really works that way. I'd rather have a lot of schools with 33% lunch subsidies (maybe indicating that there are a lot of socioeconomic levels represented) than some with 1% and others with 91%. Lest anyone think I'm too democratic here, I have considered putting my daughter in private school off and on, but I had good, specific reasons, and eventually was able to set up the meetings to work things through.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM

523 posts, read 1,414,755 times
I had lived in Manassas for over 10 years, and when I do travel back through it sometimes I am astonished by how much of a dump it has become. I'm speaking about the rt 234 corridor (sudley area) not Old Town.

The entire place is overrun by illegals. Hell, half the stores and restaurants on 234, across from the mall are all entirely mexican stores now.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 AM

I agree, except it wasn't really nice 10 years ago. The other day, I went to CVS, and it reminded me of Nogales, AZ (where it's a lot cheaper than here).

Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 AM

87 posts, read 125,856 times
Default No need to bash Hispanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I don't know any specifics about Manassas, but I can tell you it's not diversity that is upsetting people -- Northern VA has always had that, and most of us consider it an asset. The problem is the growing number of ILLEGAL immigrants.
Oh, stop with all this talk about "illegals" causing housing values to fall. It simply isn't true. Housing prices all over N Va are falling because of the mortgage crisis and other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia