U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM

955 posts, read 1,920,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm a little confused why someone who lives a few miles from Herndon would be looking for homes within a 15-20 minute radius. Why not just stay where you are? However, FWIW in my opinion pretty much every address in that radius is safe. Some people worry about day laborers on Alabama Drive. I don't think it's that big of a deal but if this is an issue that concerns you, don't look at places near Alabama Drive. Also, the streets surrounding the DMV in Sterling Park have had some petty crime issues. The DMV is easy to find on a map. Other than that, I don't think you have anything to worry about--but only you know what would be right for you. If some building or street doesn't feel right to you, trust your common sense.
Well I guess a few miles is relative, yes I live a few miles away at the MD/DC border but it takes an hour to get to Herndon so yeah thats why I am looking at options that are 15/20 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Thank you so much. How does the Infant toddler program works? Once you register, do they just match you with providers in the area? Since my daughter is 2 and has never been in a daycare before, would you recommend an in home daycare or a daycare center? I will check rentals in Reston. Thanks again
Infant Toddler worked well for us when we were first starting in daycare because it was a good mix of the best of in-home and centers. We liked the smaller environment of in-home daycares, but wanted a little more oversight, which the central office for Infant Toddler provides. They provide training for the providers and visit the homes twice a month (One announce, one unannounced), which is better than the supervision of county licensed providers. As for how it worked, I THINK (it was 5 years ago now) I visited their office before enrolling and got the names of several local providers. I went to meet with the woman in Fox Mill and I enrolled right after meeting her.

We switched our daughter to a center at 2.5, mostly because I switched to PT and our provider would only take FT children. I probably would have kept her at an in-home provider for longer if given the choice, but that is really a personal preference. Many people prefer centers.

In-home providers are typically cheaper, because they don't have as much overhead, but this is not ALWAYS the case.

Make sure you check on hours, too. Our in-home provider opened at 8 am and closed at 6 pm. Our current provider closes at 5:30 pm (my daughter is in ES now, but she still goes to a lady's house 2 afternoons a week). Most centers are open 6:30 am-6:30 pm. This works better for some workers.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM

I submitted an application on the Infant Toddler website and hopefully they will call me next week. Because Im starting a new job, I won't be able to take off right away or deal with daycare isssues on a daily basis so I really need a very reliable provider as I can't miss work at all. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

What other areas besides Herndon can I look at for housing in my price range, max $1500? max commute time 20 minutes to Herndon zipcode 20171? The places I saw on Craigslist for Herndon for decent 2 bedrooms were somewhat pricy around 1600-1800. I am looking for something more affordable but safe at the same time, I would consider a 1 bedroom but would prefer a 2 bedroom. Thank you

Old 09-16-2011, 05:06 PM

227 posts, read 344,365 times
I told you
Chantilly crossing apts

Stay away from Sterling Park in sterling by the way

Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 PM

I just checked Chantilly Crossing Apartments and they have income restrictions, so I don't qualify

Old 09-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Ah wow
Have you looked at craigslist?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Yes I have only looked at craigslist so far, do you know of any other sites? Also is Chantilly close to Herndon? how close?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 PM

They border
10-15 min to old town herndon

Apartments.com

Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM

OK. Thank you, what would you recommend for a 28 years old mum with a 2 year old daughter? Herndon, Chantilly or Reston?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Reston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia