Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,407,678 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I might be getting a job in Herndon, VA zip code 20171 and Im not really familiar with the area though I only live a few miles away. Is Herndon a safe area? what are nice, safe places close to Herndon? A little about me, I will be moving with my 2 year old daughter, so I need a safe neighborhood and also if you know of daycares in the area, that would be helpful. I will be looking for a 2bedroom apartment preferably not more than $1500/month. What are my options? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM

anyone? Also I should indicate that im 28 if that helps. Thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 PM

227 posts, read 397,820 times
There is a number of day cares in the Herndon area
from chains such as Kindercare and Chesterbrook academy to private, at home providers.
Visit a few and pick one thats closer to your future home.

I previously mentioned Stuart Woods apartments as a safe area, with a nice park next to it and a playground.

I would avoid anything along Alabama Drive, exp its western part, not a good area.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM

I would also look at apartments in Reston and Chantilly

Years ago I rented at Chantilly Crossing, check them out as well, its only about 15 minutes south of Herndon

Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 AM

Thank you, but what areas of Herndon are safe? COuld you please name neighborhoods, I am not familiar with the area at all and don't know where Alabama drive is. Also what other neighborhoods are close to Herndon? i-e within 15-20minutes drive? Thank you so much for your help.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,160,209 times
I don't know about apartments, but I wanted to make sure you knew that daycare is quite expensive as well. Be prepared to pay at least $1K/month for that. I used an in home provider until my daughter was 2.5 in Fox Mill Estates in Herndon - she was part of Infant Toddler Family Daycare (www.infanttoddler.com) I would have recommended our old center that my daughter attended until just a couple weeks ago in Reston, but they had to close because the building they were in got bought out and the new owner forced out everyone. Many of the kids (the ones who weren't headed to K) from my daughter's pre-k room switched over to Childtime off of Sunset Hills in Reston. I also knew people who were quite happy at the Kindercare off of Wiehle Ave. near the North Hills pool.

Our neighbor in our old Reston TH community (we just moved to a SFH in Fairfax a couple weeks ago) is a single mom and she really likes Reston a lot for the amenities. If you can find an apartment or rental condo/TH in the area for that price, that is your best bet IMHO.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Thank you, but what areas of Herndon are safe? COuld you please name neighborhoods, I am not familiar with the area at all and don't know where Alabama drive is. Also what other neighborhoods are close to Herndon? i-e within 15-20minutes drive? Thank you so much for your help.
Most of the areas of Herndon are safe.
I gave you the crappy part of it.
Look up Alabama dr. There is a shop. center with Food Lion in it. I would not live behind that shop center.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,961,502 times
I'm a little confused why someone who lives a few miles from Herndon would be looking for homes within a 15-20 minute radius. Why not just stay where you are? However, FWIW in my opinion pretty much every address in that radius is safe. Some people worry about day laborers on Alabama Drive. I don't think it's that big of a deal but if this is an issue that concerns you, don't look at places near Alabama Drive. Also, the streets surrounding the DMV in Sterling Park have had some petty crime issues. The DMV is easy to find on a map. Other than that, I don't think you have anything to worry about--but only you know what would be right for you. If some building or street doesn't feel right to you, trust your common sense.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I don't know about apartments, but I wanted to make sure you knew that daycare is quite expensive as well. Be prepared to pay at least $1K/month for that. I used an in home provider until my daughter was 2.5 in Fox Mill Estates in Herndon - she was part of Infant Toddler Family Daycare (www.infanttoddler.com) I would have recommended our old center that my daughter attended until just a couple weeks ago in Reston, but they had to close because the building they were in got bought out and the new owner forced out everyone. Many of the kids (the ones who weren't headed to K) from my daughter's pre-k room switched over to Childtime off of Sunset Hills in Reston. I also knew people who were quite happy at the Kindercare off of Wiehle Ave. near the North Hills pool.

Our neighbor in our old Reston TH community (we just moved to a SFH in Fairfax a couple weeks ago) is a single mom and she really likes Reston a lot for the amenities. If you can find an apartment or rental condo/TH in the area for that price, that is your best bet IMHO.
Thank you so much. How does the Infant toddler program works? Once you register, do they just match you with providers in the area? Since my daughter is 2 and has never been in a daycare before, would you recommend an in home daycare or a daycare center? I will check rentals in Reston. Thanks again

Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSDC View Post
Most of the areas of Herndon are safe.
I gave you the crappy part of it.
Look up Alabama dr. There is a shop. center with Food Lion in it. I would not live behind that shop center.
Ok, I see. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia