Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 15,813 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of some serious help here. I've been going through all the different Manassas posts, and it just makes me more confused.

My girlfriend and I are relocating for her job to Manassas. We are looking for 2 bedroom apartment/condo/whatever, looking to spend around $1200 or so. The problem is, neither of us has ever been to Manassas. I'm trying to figure out where are the nicer areas, and where are the bad areas. I'm confused by the number of places that are called "Manassas" (Manassas City, Manassas Park, all the different zip codes, etc.) Basically we're just looking to live in a nice safe area. We're not looking for super nightlife or anything specific like that. Just an area that we can call home. If anyone can give advice we would be greatly appreciative. We have to move in less than three weeks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 PM

I should add, we would be willing to be a little out of Manassas like if Gainesville or a similar nearby town is a recommendation. Thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Where is her job located in Manassas? It might work better if you name a complex and I'll tell you what experiences I had there before retiring as a PWC Police Officer. In a nutshell stay away from most of Coverstone and all of Westgate Apts. There are some good complexes spread around the west end of PWC.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Her job will be at Prince William Hospital. We don't know a ton of complexes yet. So far we have on our list: "The Commons at Barrington Park," "City Center" (across from the VRE), "Masons Keepe" and "Ravens crest".

Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting711 View Post
Her job will be at Prince William Hospital. We don't know a ton of complexes yet. So far we have on our list: "The Commons at Barrington Park," "City Center" (across from the VRE), "Masons Keepe" and "Ravens crest".
I know City Center is nice but it's a bit pricey.

As far as what BigFoot said, I concur stay away from Westgate, I used to briefly live there and I moved there blindly without knowing much about the area. I woke up one morning while living out there and I saw a gang walking across the complex, needless to say I got a rude awakening about that area, but thank God nothing happened to me.

I'm not familiar with all of the Manassas apartments, but i am familiar with the subdivisions and certain areas. I've heard Points of Woods, Irongate, Yorkshire, Georgetown South, and the Western parts of Manassas Park are no-nos. Also stay away from areas near Manassas Mall. The Eastern Part of Manassas Park east of Euclid Avenue is nice (that's where City Center is), parts of Manassas closer to Prince William Parkway (the 234 part), and parts in the city of Manassas (mostly make up he 20110 zip code) are nice especially near Old Town. Besides Manassas, there is also Bristow, Gainesville, and Haymarket. All good places from what I've read and experienced.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM

227 posts, read 398,915 times
Why not consider Centreville?

A whole lot safer and newer compared to Manassas, good shopping/dining near by, and drive to PWC hospital is not that bad...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM

53 posts, read 99,435 times
Living near work (and on the same side of major thoroughfares, such as routes 234, 28 or hwys 66, 29) will make for easier commutes. Based on that, I'd avoid "The Commons at Barrington Park," "City Center" and side with "Masons Keepe" and "Ravens crest" and use Ashton Ave to commute back and forth to work. I don't recall having heard anything bad about any of the listed apartments.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Ravens Crest had more calls for service for the PD than the others. Personally I'd avoid that one. Barrington Park is brand new and is a good area and an easy drive to PWH. City Center is nice and a little more of a drive to PWH but not a tough one.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
I used to live in Raven's Crest, and I loved it. Actually, we still miss it to this day. It was 3 years ago when we moved out and got a house (still in Manassas) a few miles down the road. It was great at Raven's Crest - everyone was so helpful, maintenance was really friendly, and the pool & gym were nice features. Tanglewood was right across the street from RC (on Sudley Manor), not sure about how that place is. Best of luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the input thus far.
Anybody have an opinion on Woodbridge? My girlfriend's new boss mentioned it as an area to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia