Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:19 AM

11 posts, read 22,616 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm relocating from France to work in Herndon, and I'm looking at places where to live.

So far, my research points towards reston. What I'm looking for is a place where I could go out without using my car (pretty much like in a city in europe).

On a side note: would 1300/months for a 1bedroom in reston a good budget or not ?

Thanks in advance,
Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:22 AM

227 posts, read 399,014 times
Bonjour!
Where in France are you coming from?

Reston is not like your typical european town, its doable without a car, but its no Europe.

If you want to use no car and get places (metro, bike share), look at North Arlington and Georgetown

Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Salut !

Je viens de Nice, dans le sud de la France si tu connais.

Arlington and Geortown seems far they are both 20 Miles from Herndon (where I'll work). I'm looking for a place which would involve maximun 30mins drive to herndon with a decent night life for young people (I mean not to young, afterall I'm 28)

Old 09-16-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeT View Post
Salut !

Je viens de Nice, dans le sud de la France si tu connais.

Arlington and Geortown seems far they are both 20 Miles from Herndon (where I'll work). I'm looking for a place which would involve maximun 30mins drive to herndon with a decent night life for young people (I mean not to young, afterall I'm 28)
Je suis familier avec le Nord surtout, été à Paris et Lille à quelques reprises dans ma vie.

Look at Reston Town Center.
Its got somewhat of a night life, some decent restaurants and a movie theater.

Plus a Harris Teeter supermarche

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
If you want to be within a few miles of work, Reston Town Center is where you'll find the most young people in western Fairfax/eastern Loudoun. There are a good number of young people who live there, and the number has been growing recently, but --and this is a big but--if you really want to be around a lot of young people you may be happier in Ballston or Clarendon.

Many people under the age of 24 find Reston boring and too suburban. Let's face it, it's out in the suburbs--if you prefer urban living, you'll be happier living closer to DC. Older 20-somethings seem to find Reston more appealing, but IMO it's really geared more for those between the ages of 30-50.

These two photo tours can give you a good idea of what Reston is like and who you'll find there.

Reston-South Lakes

Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne

Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Reston Town Center is acceptable unless you're a complete partier; in perhaps 12-18 months, you will be connected to DC by Metro.

Remember you will be working, and commuting, 5 days a week and partying maybe 3-4.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Reston Town Center is acceptable unless you're a complete partier; in perhaps 12-18 months, you will be connected to DC by Metro.

Remember you will be working, and commuting, 5 days a week and partying maybe 3-4.
Metro @ Reston Town Center is part of Phase 2

Wiehle ave stop is phase one, due to be completed in 2013 (estimated)

Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
I think living in Reston without a car would be a big stretch, but if you're working in Herndon and want a short commute it's your best bet for any night life.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSDC View Post
Je suis familier avec le Nord surtout, été à Paris et Lille à quelques reprises dans ma vie.

Look at Reston Town Center.
Its got somewhat of a night life, some decent restaurants and a movie theater.

Plus a Harris Teeter supermarche
Le nord n'est pas forcement la plus belle partie de la France mais Paris et Lille reste de tres belle ville !

I'll take a temporary housing there for a month and see how it feels.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you want to be within a few miles of work, Reston Town Center is where you'll find the most young people in western Fairfax/eastern Loudoun. There are a good number of young people who live there, and the number has been growing recently, but --and this is a big but--if you really want to be around a lot of young people you may be happier in Ballston or Clarendon.

Many people under the age of 24 find Reston boring and too suburban. Let's face it, it's out in the suburbs--if you prefer urban living, you'll be happier living closer to DC. Older 20-somethings seem to find Reston more appealing, but IMO it's really geared more for those between the ages of 30-50.

These two photo tours can give you a good idea of what Reston is like and who you'll find there.

Reston-South Lakes

Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne
Hey thank you so much for the pics, it's a nice preview and I was completely unaware of the lake ! ( I know I should open a map right now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia